50Mb VM, Torrents - Best Router

frazerbennett

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I couldn't see an obvious forum rules page re torrents so presume this post is allowed - if not then accepth my apologies and remove

I have recently got VM 50Mb boradband and after trying to use through my Linkysys WRT54GS (V1 with DD-WRT) quickly found out that it isn't able to cope with the 50Mb throughput and hits a threshold around 20-25Mb - on the wired connections. I tried the one you get free, D-Link DIR615 which does allow the full 50Mb but on torrents it's nothing short of horrendous, maxing out at around 500k. Read up on that router and it's due to the number of connections it limited to - I wonder if that was intentional on VMs part - DD-WRT is WIP for that router and has been for a long time, I don't know if that would be able to remove the cap on the number of connections anyway.

I've tried looking round the forums for a replacement router, my Linksys has done me proud so far, but all I can see is recomendations for the WRT54** on DD-WRT. I'm not fussed about the Wireless N so with that in mind can anyone recommend a router that can handle the full bandwidth and give good results with torrents?

Thanks in advance for the replies

TCP connections (torrents etc) through a router are limited by the routers memory - each one may just take up a few bytes, but there will be a fixed limit in the software to stop someone doing crazy stuff and crashing their router with their BT client ;)

you need a more high end router - most 54G routers will be as low as 4 x 16MB (4MB FLASH image and 16MB DRAM) ...some top spec ones and low end 802.11n will be 8 x 32MB

the top end of the consumer routers are 8 x 64 or 16 x 64MB

take a look at the top D-link Extreme box thats been around a while or the new Netgear WNDR3700

SmallNetBuilder - Small Network Help - Gentlemen, Start Your Buying: NETGEAR WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router Reviewed

im not on Virgin otherwise Id have to get one myself ....I will have to wait for the ADSL version when it comes out at xmas :) :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom