50mb Router Problems Dir-615

Ricku

Hey Guys,
I've had 50mb installed for a couple of weeks now and the speed is fantastic. The only problem is the pants router. It's the Dlink Dir-615.
I live in a house with 3 other guys (we're uni students) and we've all got Laptops and Xbox 360s and other wireless things. In total we have about 13 devices.
If I have DHCP enabled not all devices will consistently be assigned an IP. If I turn DHCP off and assign manual IPs to devices sometimes they will just flat out refuse to work. I find that DHCP IP reservations do not work properly either. It get's very frustrating to have to resort to rebooting the router all the time

Do this sound like a fault with my router or is it just a pants router? Are there any settings which I have overlooked in trying to get my internet stable?
Should I look to buy myself a new router and if so, what router?

Cheers,
Rick:thumbsup:

InsaneSTD

Standard Member
I live in a student house and recently had Virgin Media 50mg installed, with the DIR-615 router. We are having the exact the same problem as you described in the above post.

The router needs to be restarted at least 4 or 5 times a day because the internet is going down. Also getting issues with bad Xbox live connection. Were all networking students and have tried changing settings as mentioned above but there is no resolving the issue.

We are not sure whether it is a dodgy cable modem or router. When the internet goes down all devices, hard wired or wireless maintain a connection, but receiving no internet. Restarting the cable modem normally resolves this issue, but other times the router needs restarting aswell.

Would appreciate any suggestions regarding this issue.

Going to contact Virgin Media on Monday (12/10/09) to see what they say, but i am not holding my breath.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
I've had a few hiccups with my 50mb (not the actual broadband but vstuff related)

when you ring the call center ask to be put through to the 50mb team. The call center arent owning the 50mb installs yet and the chaps who I have talked are all very helpful

Ricku

I live in a student house and recently had Virgin Media 50mg installed, with the DIR-615 router. We are having the exact the same problem as you described in the above post.

The router needs to be restarted at least 4 or 5 times a day because the internet is going down. Also getting issues with bad Xbox live connection. Were all networking students and have tried changing settings as mentioned above but there is no resolving the issue.

We are not sure whether it is a dodgy cable modem or router. When the internet goes down all devices, hard wired or wireless maintain a connection, but receiving no internet. Restarting the cable modem normally resolves this issue, but other times the router needs restarting aswell.

Would appreciate any suggestions regarding this issue.

Going to contact Virgin Media on Monday (12/10/09) to see what they say, but i am not holding my breath.

I had a suspicion that it was a naff router. I've been looking at buying a Netgear router to replace this Dlink. Please post in here how your phone call with Virgin goes, it'll be greatly appreciated! :smashin:

Ricku

This router is driving us all insane. If I bought a new router like this one would it just be a case of I plug it in and it works or does Virgin have pre installed software on their routers so you can't use other routers with their 50mb modem. I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer this.

Cheers
Rick

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
I got a netgear router with my 50mb. strange you're all getting dlink. Having said that I already had a netgear n-type router installed so never actually used theirs.

satisian

Standard Member
I have the 50MB installed about a month ago and kept my original Dlink DIR 655 router, the Virgin media Netgear router is still in its sealed box. Touch wood, have had no issues, with over 10 devices hooked in.

Ricku

Thanks for the response. I think I'll go ahead and get a new router.

markp1989

i had the same problem with the stock router with my 10mb speed.

i updated to the linksys WRT54GL router, for £40 set up the qos so that xbox and http have priority over torrents and everything is fine,

with the stock router i would have to reboot it after heavy download sessions.

i originaly brought the WRT54GL to install openwrt on it , but i was happy with the stock firmware so i havnt bothered.

Ricku

I've purchased the Netgear WNDR3700. It should be arriving tomorrow (3:20am now, so today actually). Hopefully it will solve all our problems. I'll post my results in a few days to tell you lot how stable it is :)

James.1

Definitely the router that's at fault. I had the same DHCP issue that you have, although after switching to static IPs everything seems to be OK (touch wood :D).

James.1

This router is driving us all insane. If I bought a new router like this one would it just be a case of I plug it in and it works or does Virgin have pre installed software on their routers so you can't use other routers with their 50mb modem. I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer this.

Cheers
Rick
I was able to use a non Virgin supplied router with their modem, so you should be OK. One thing to watch out for is that you can only connect a limited number of different devices directly to the modem before it refuses to work with anything new. Trying different routers and also going direct to my computer seemed to prematurely fill this list, and support had to reset it on their end. So if you end up with your router not getting a WAN side IP address, you'll need to call support.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Glad it's not just me then - I've had exactly the same problems with this router - looks like I need to purchase a new one too :rolleyes:

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Went out and got myself a Netgear WNDR3300 - wow this thing is light years ahead of what Virgin supplied!! :thumbsup:

deckardian

try turning on QoS = Quality of service (gives gaming traffic higher prioritisation over the network, instead of HTTP/ FTP/ for the xboxes and gaming rigs, make sure mac address filtering is off, and static ips would be good if you have 13 devices, I think dhcp may struggle on the dir-615's but I could be wrong. or you could try to turn off DHCP and use it as an access point if your going to buy a new wireless router. I think the dir-615s will allow you to do this from the config page. If so it will boost the coverage of the wireless in the house :) stick it on the wall high up with the antenna's flush with the wall.

hope it helps

Deckardian

:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom