50Mb BB on the way (for some) Are you tempted?

Empwan

I've just read on Digitalspy

Sourced from;
Cable - News - 'Soft launch' for 50Mb broadband soon - Digital Spy

Virgin Media hopes to begin a "soft launch" of its 50Mbps broadband service later this month.

Speaking at Goldman Sachs' Communacopia conference in New York, Virgin Media chief executive Neil Berkett said that following the October launch, approximately 40% of the UK would have access to the flagship tier of service by the end of the year.

Upload speeds for the 50Mbps downstream tier have yet to be confirmed, and Virgin said they are "not quite ready" to announce pricing. Customers who upgrade from Virgin's existing broadband services will need a new modem because the new service will use DOCSIS 3.0, a newer version of the specification that governs how data is carried over the cable television network than that used by the current offerings.

Are you tempted to get the 50Mb BB ?

Personally, I might if it's not more than +£10pm (from £20Mb).
With all the capping it may just even out to be a decent 20Mb BB :rotfl:

bym007

Banned
I am currently on Virgin VIP package and paying £85 per month, and getting a capped 20 Meg connection, which I am very unhappy about. We are 5 housemates sharing the connection with a couple of Xbox's as well, so nearly always under the "traffic management" even through nominal usage by us!

I would go for 50 Meg if provided proper value for money, but I am guessing we would be moved at some point in future with a price cut offering ...

Fingers crossed, lets see how it pans out for us ...

jrwagh333

currently have 20meg and ive never been capped and download alot a day i belive.

Is the 50meg a NEW service or will us 20meg users be auto upgraded and get a new modem?

Scholes18

Its a new one i think..

CP-PC

the 50mb service is a NEW service and 20mb customers will not be upgraded to the 50mb package by VM. at present there is no plans to throttle or traffic manage the 50mb service, this is because its on a new DOCSIS 3 infrastructure which should have higher bandwidth limits. plus because the 50mb service is not "overloaded" like the other services are there is no need to throttle the 50mb service at present.

if people do choose to upgrade to the 50mb service then you will be given a new modem as current modems cant handle the new data and cant handle the 50mb speeds either.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I can't see this being priced reasonably as all the rest of the broadband only packages from Virgin are grossly overpriced.
The price for the 20Mb service on it's own is £37 so they should charge a fair bit more for this service, in which case I can't see any reason to get it.

jrwagh333

I think you will only benefit from the download speed if your doing multiple downloads at once.

I mean if a website can only upload at 20megabit and your downloading at 20megabit. you've got 30megabit left over to use.

I hope i've made this clear as i don't want people to buy this and think all downloads WILL increase. In some cases they will yes. But not all.

I sappose it would be a good option if all your family use the net or in a office enviroment so you wont throttle each other.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I think you will only benefit from the download speed if your doing multiple downloads at once.

I mean if a website can only upload at 20megabit and your downloading at 20megabit. you've got 30megabit left over to use.

I hope i've made this clear as i don't want people to buy this and think all downloads WILL increase. In some cases they will yes. But not all.

I sappose it would be a good option if all your family use the net or in a office enviroment so you wont throttle each other.

Agreed, and it won't increase surfing speed at all. I'm just hoping that this new service means that the other packages will reduce in price to something more like the ADSL competition.

CP-PC

yeah i agree, im currently on the 20mb service and there are only a few places where i can optain max speed downloading and they are.... microsoft, adobe, nvidia and a few other professional sites like that but most of them cant provide 20mb per customer. but i can see this 50mb service helping IF you have loads of people in your house all online at the same time or if your downloading things from multiple sites as said earlier. but for general web surfing a 2-4mb service will be fine. and yeah i hope the 50mb service drops prices on the other services too.

aymank

Although 50 mb does sound very interesting, like many others have said i hope this leads to a price decrease on the other services, they must think because they are the only ones who can offer cable broadband they can charge higher prices but they need to realise adsl will be covering alot of cable only places soon

CP-PC

adsl is available in most places at the moment but some people live to far away from the exchange to get good speeds through the phone line (like me) which leaves us with cable BB as our ONLY option which sucks as at present i have to stay with VM in order to get a BB speed of over 2-4mb

chris57

I could never sign up for any contract that was longer than one month with VM. Simply lost any trust that I may have had for the Virgin brand through the activities of VM and its 20mb service.

mwallan

I could never sign up for any contract that was longer than one month with VM. Simply lost any trust that I may have had for the Virgin brand through the activities of VM and its 20mb service.

Thank your lucky stars that you can get cable, I have moved up from london to Beverley where BT and Cable dont exist and you can only get c r a p Karoo. I would do anything to get cable back, or BT

Naqv

Why would I want to?

i currently download at 2.58 (max) mega bytes per second, so am looking to go to 5mbps or so, not much of a difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom