50m HDMI Active Fibre Optic :: Powered Splitter problem

Colinmh23

Standard Member
Hello all

Please be gentle with me - I'm no techie!

I manage/volunteer at a Sports Club and inside the main bar area I have three BT boxes and 1 x Sky box. These are all connected to individual powered HDMI splitters to feed four screens in the room.

We are planning to reopen on 12 Apr but this has to be outside only so I want to send 1 x BT signal & 1 x Sky signal from the respective splitters back to a 65" TV outside. The distance from splitter to the outside TV will be up to 50m.

I've purchased two 50m HDMI Cables (https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg3334-hdmi-50m/hdmi-active-fibre-optical-lead/dp/AV28918) which work perfectly over the distance if taken from the BT/Sky box directly to the TV but when I try to cable via the 8-way powered splitters, I get no signal.

Can anyone tell me if an HDMI Booster would help or another way of running these cables so I can get a signal?

All the best - and thanks in advance for any pointers.

Colin

nigelk1

It could be that the splitter is not providing the power supply required for the hdmi to work. You may need something like this.

Attachments

• 234A67BB-C627-4C57-8AE8-6BC1752D0399.png
    234A67BB-C627-4C57-8AE8-6BC1752D0399.png
    335.4 KB · Views: 16

Otto Pylot

Voltage inserters may work as linked above. Active cables draw a little power from the sink end for the chipsets in the connector ends to work properly. Typically active cables are most reliable when connected directly from the source to the sink, with nothing in-between.

Colinmh23

Standard Member
Thank you both - I've ordered a voltage inserter to try on one lead & splitter. I'll report back.

Noob question - I take it its best to fit it at the splitter end to give the power 'back' to the HDMI lead?

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘It is best’ to not be doing the install the way you have :)

HD or UHD over LAN is the way to go and allows you to easily ‘scale’ the system as you receive requests to add additional TV’ s, you know it’s coming.

If you have to stick with Splitters plus Active cables I would try the voltage inserter at the Display (TV!) end of the cable run.

Joe

Colinmh23

Standard Member
‘It is best’ to not be doing the install the way you have :)

HD or UHD over LAN is the way to go and allows you to easily ‘scale’ the system as you receive requests to add additional TV’ s, you know it’s coming.

If you have to stick with Splitters plus Active cables I would try the voltage inserter at the Display (TV!) end of the cable run.

Joe
Joe

Many thanks - I’ll read up on LAN setup; I assume it’s HDMI out to LAN/CAT 6 adapter then the reverse at the other end. Does this use less power ie no boosters required? I’ve got SO much to learn!

Colin

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Colin

We do a lot of ‘sports bars’ in the US and Pubs/Clubs in the UK.

HD and UHD over LAN has 1 x Transmitter (TX) for each Source plus 1 x Receiver (RX) for each Display and you then add a suitably sized Gigabit network switch as the Hub with CAT6/5 cables connecting each TX and RX to the network switch.

Cabling can be up to 100m TX to Switch and 100m Switch to RX.

You then have options for control of the Source to Display routing and also Source control.

Joe

Colinmh23

Standard Member
Joe

That‘s excellent information so thank you!

I tried the 5v power inserter and no luck, so will look at going down this route of LAN. Can this still work with the existing wired splitters I have (I only need to run 1x BT signal and 1x Sky signal back to the outside TV. Where does the gigabit switch fit in in all of this? I’m guessing at a suitable power point between TX & RX?

Colin

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Colin

HD and UHD over LAN systems do away with traditional HDMI Switch, Distribution or Extender gear and instead runs the HDMI signal over CAT cables.

Drop me a note if you want info on a typical 'Sports Bar' installation.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom