50Hz pixel mapping via DVI?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by JetJockey, Jan 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks.

Do any of the newer LCD panels (large screen) allow pixel mapping via DVI or HDMI at 50Hz?

I require the above feature to allow me to feed the Panel from a HTPC at 50Hz without Judder.

I have a 1 year old 50" Fuji Plasma which does not allow this. :mad:

I find that the Pixel mapped picture is far superior to any other input, which is then processed by the Panel. :confused:

Regards, Gerald. :)

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    If you are loooking at 37",40",42",47" etc LCD sizes, then you have some hope with the 1080p screens offering some form of 50Hz pixel mapping.

But.........not all of them do 1080p pixel - mapped, some have overscan, but as part of HDReady "label" they will accept 1080i50 over DVI/HDMI and component (1080p is not part of HDReady labelling, neither is pq, or pixel mapping).

Via VGA, some only accept 1024x768 as a max :eek: , I thnk the only 1080p50/60 accepting/displaying model over all of HDMI/VGA/ & component is the Goodmans 42" (without overscan)........it as a set has some issues, so you best read the thread.

Goodmans:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394235
    Sharp XD1:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381973
    Sharp HD1:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442453
    Sony X Series:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331883
    Samsung F-series:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403913

I think the new Sharp HD1 may offer an alternative, I think the Sony and Samsung have pixel mapping issues on some of the 3 inputs.

For XBox360 VGA 1080p (1920x1080) is important, however if you already have a plasma, why would you overlook the Pioneer 1080p model, with its 72Hz cinema processing and coupled to a 1080p24 BlueRay or HD-DVD player it must be the only choice ............if you can afford it (From what I've read SkyHD movie users recognise improved pq of HD-DVD movies).....I'd like to have both 50Hz, 60Hz, and 24fps (48/72Hz), but given the choice for a 1080p screen I would choose 60Hz with 48/72Hz over 60Hz with 50Hz if the screen only had 2 frequency choices.

Pioneer PDP-5000:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362333

3. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rockyspieler.

Thanks for that.

I will take a look at the Pioneer. I have been out of the loop for a while and am not fully aware of the latest advances in the field of Plasma. I just know that I am not overly happy with the restrictions imposed by my 1yr old Fuji 50" plasma. To be frank, I have never thought it was a patch on my original Panasonic 42" panel (PWD4) but thats another story!! I recently installed a new 42" Panny for my brother and was very impressed.

Anyway, whats with the 72Hz Cinema processing? Also, i'm not quite sure I follow you on the improvement on HD DVD movies that the Sky HD owners have noticed. I have Sky HD (for what it's worth) so am curious about this. Could you clarify please?

Gerald. :)

4. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Most movies are filmed at 24fps thanks to its very natural (smooth) motion. Now, both BD and HD are encoded at 24fps. So in order to play them back without causing any stuttering, you need TV that can accept 24Hz as well as a player that can output 24Hz.

I am not very good at explaining! Hope I didn't confuse you lol

5. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Is there such a beast?

Iv'e heard of sets accepting 48Hz, but not 24Hz.

Can you enlighten me please?

6. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    This is where it gets a little complex.

Some TVs can accept 24/48Hz and display it in various refresh rates such as, 24Hz, 48Hz, 72 Hz and 120Hz.

The other problem is finding a player that can output 24/48Hz.Alternatvely, you also use a PC but, you have to make sure the TV can accept it’s native resolution (1:1) at those refresh rates.

PS: I do believe that, using the PC to view HD/BD will provide even sharper image then stand alone player thanks to 1:1 pixel mapping.

7. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmmmmm....

I looking to purchase a second display and am beginning to wonder (as it's only for me) whether a DLP Projector might be a better buy.

Are these generally more forgiving / amenable to being fed native res at the different frequencies eg 24, 48, 50, 72, 75, 100Hz via DVI or HDMI??

I'm already looking at £4.5K for the panny 50PF9 so would I be better advised splashing out on a projector?

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    JetJockey.......

I would sincerely suggest you use one of the active retailer members, who have hi-fi / AV shops with demo room.

The "best" advice for somebody with a decent purchasing budget is on the scaler forum.

I like the idea of a projector and a Flat panel display, there are a few pictures of such setups posted on both the LCD and Plasma forums. Is your room shape suitable? Especially if you can afford a 1080p projector........100" electric screen......and pop-corn......plus no noisey mobiles or kids making out in the row behind you.

The bit-rate (data per second) of HD-DVD & BR-DVD is higher than SkyHD, so allthough they both could be 1080i (using HD-E1) the actual picture would be less compressed.........I do not know the actual comparison bit-rates, and they can vary on HD-DVD/BR-DVD depending on the mastering, and encoding method, but should always be higher than SkyHD.

SkyHD v HD-DVD pq and bitrates discussed here:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3941827

I use a PC as my HD source which I display at 48Hz for 24fps HD material, I change to 60Hz for NTSC DVD's, and 50Hz for PAL DVD's, or freeview tuner. I use an application called "Powerstrip" to do this.

But despite my frame-rate-conversion compulsion...........all my kit is dirt cheap, so "my advice" is normally based on reading other people's posts for AV websites...........and I waste a lot of time reading them. There are many people with very expensive set-ups, and hopefully these guys may be prompted to help you......especially on the scaler forum.