1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50hz or 60hz

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by sisko, Aug 29, 2004.

1. sisko

sisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Would there be any benefit to setting my PS2 to output a 60hz instead of 50hz.

My Panasonic will accept 60hz NTSC as well as PAL60, so in theory it should accept a 60hz signal from a PS2.

Has anybody tried this and has there been any improvement in picture quality?

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Always use 60Hz if possible - there are two main benefits: games will run full screen (no vertical borders) and will run full speed (since PAL is 50Hz, it "updates" the screen 17.5% slower than NTSC does (60Hz) You won't necessarily see an improvement in image quality, but it is more than worth doing to play games full screen and full speed

Remember that 60Hz modes are game-dependant ie it is not the PS2 itself that lets you play in 60Hz. Most PS2 games don't have a 60Hz mode which is something that really annoys me because it's so clear when the game has been poorly converted to PAL.

3. sisko

sisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the advice.

I am getting a 42" Plasma later in the year and it will probably more of an issue then,with such a big screen.

4. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Happy to help :)

Be careful using a plasma with consoles. Static images (health bars, icons etc) can be "burnt" onto the plasma screen if the brightness is too low/contrast is too high

Ask in the plasma forum what the recommended settings are for games consoles, because you don't want to ruin your plasma!

5. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I'm not sure about the whole 50/60hz thing. On the Dreamcast there was a real advantage to using 60Hz modes as it made a significant frame-rate improvement that really affected the gaming experience. Sonic Adventure was a prime example of this. In 50Hz mode it was almost unplayable in faster parts because the frame rate (around 25fps) simply wasn't sufficient. When you cranked it up to 60Hz the problems disappeared.

However, on some newer Xbox games, 60Hz makes things worse. For example, on FIFA 2004 the menu access is painfully slow on 60Hz and there are jumpy frame rate problems. On 50Hz there is none of this. Also, some games appear significantly 'fuzzier' such as GTA: Double Pack and Project Gotham Racing 2. This is obviously because of the reduced number of lines (480 in 60Hz, 576 in 50Hz) but I never really took notice of this until now.

So, for the time being, I'm leaving my games in 50Hz.

6. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Xbox is the exception to the rule though since the Xbox dashboard handles the 50/60Hz conversion and the game doesn't ;) I play Halo in 50Hz and it gets rid of the slowdown problem...in 60Hz mode it's quite choppy, IMO. I play everything else in 60Hz though

For PS2/GC/DC 60Hz makes a huge difference, and it is always superior to playing in 50Hz mode

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most of the games ive played in 60hz have been rough round the edges of images.
    id happily sacrifice speed for crisp image quality, especially as you get bigger tv's.
    my first choice would be 50hz everytime, but i suppose its a personal preference.

8. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If you're able to, use progressive scan (primarily on Xbox, but also GCube and PS2).

No scan lines and 60hz refresh... best of both worlds...

9. sisko

sisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My current TV does not support progressive scan.

Once I get the plasma I will use the component outut of the PS2 for progressive scan.

10. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    So do you actually need to go into the PS2's and Gamecube's menu system to change it to playin 60 hz or do you just need to choose 60hz when the game asks you to before it loads?

Cheers

Sami

11. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For PS2 you will usually be given a menu screen before you start the game. Or go into the Options menu once the game has loaded, and look for it in there (usually under video settings)

For GC, hold down B during start up and a menu will appear to select 60Hz. I have no idea why you have to hold down a button to access a 'secret' menu...

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Jst be careful first 100 hours of use for screen burn, but otherwise no problems with a plasma :smashin:

13. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The issue with 60hz is academic and basic.. the timing of the tv line refresh on roughly 80% of all games, i.e those devoloped in the us or japan is 60hz due to ntsc obviously, resulting in loss of game speed 17.5% I believe.

During the 80's and into the early 90's most tv's in the uk wouldnt accept 60hz and the picture would roll as a consequence, so when it came to converting the often late release to pal, the devolopers took the cautious route and didnt optimize the pal release, probably to stop technical support lines jamming with calls about rolling pictures!

But also lets not overlook the fact that displaying extra lines of pixels can require extra chipset performance, i.e. only 4mb of video ram in the case of the ps2, you only have to look at pal gt3's lack of 60hz, to see that at that time polyphony had already squeezed every drop of vid ram with the ntsc version, cept nowdays they work better with texture compression.

Anyway in response to those who talk of jaggies, any full screen image squashed 17.5% is gonna help disguise a console's lack of decent anti aliasing, 60hz is always superior because thats how all console games are intended to be displayed properly on a tv.