50hz or 60hz for LCD TV?

SAH

Banned
I have a Sharp XD1E 1080P HDTV that will only allow 1:1 pixel mapping when set at 50hz.

Apparently this is a problem with ATI cards and this particular TV, Nvidia cards allow 1:1 at 60hz without any border.

Is their any disadvantage running at 50hz, the 1:1 picture is sharper, and all games run very well.

I take it there are no adverse affects running the TV at 50hz, seeing as Sky HD is also 50hz?

Sephiro

Strange I've been running my 37 XD1E with 1:1 pixel mapping at 60Hz via my ATI graphics card (X800 XT) without a problem for several months. What actually happens when you try to switch it to 60Hz, do you get a message on the TV or is there no option to select 60Hz to begin with? (I'm guessing that you have already disabled the "Reduce DVI frequency on high res displays" and "Alternative DVI operational mode" options in the advanced display options)

It's worth noting that I don't actually use the official ATI drivers because I can't stand the Catalyst Control Centre so I use the omega drivers with ATI tool instead, so it might be worth giving them a try.

SAH

Banned
I initially thought I had 1:1 at 60hz, the picture is very sharp.

But look closer and you'll notice a small 1cm black border around the screen.

At 50hz the picture goes right to the very edge of the screen.

Sephiro

I've just switched between my new PC running an NVIDIA 8800 GTS and my old PC with the ATI X800 XT and I can't see any difference. In [email protected] with the TV set to underscan mode they both fill the entire screen as you can see in the following two photos:
ATI
NVIDIA

So I'd give the omega drivers a go and see if they make any difference.

SAH

Banned
I've just switched between my new PC running an NVIDIA 8800 GTS and my old PC with the ATI X800 XT and I can't see any difference. In [email protected] with the TV set to underscan mode they both fill the entire screen as you can see in the following two photos:
ATI
NVIDIA

So I'd give the omega drivers a go and see if they make any difference.

Will do, it must be the drivers as Nvidia cards work out of the box.

SAH

Banned
:clap:

Success, but in a round about way.

60hz still had the same black border, but if you run at 75hz, the TV automatically switches to 60hz and fills the whole screen.:confused: This was a tip I read about in the Sharp thread, glad to see it works with the Omega drivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom