1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50hz Or 100hz???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mozster, Apr 15, 2003.

1. mozster

mozster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm away to purchase a new 28" Widescreen Telly to replace my standard one which is a bit long in the tooth.
    I was looking at the immense picture quality of the 100hz models but someone told me that since I output via a Sky decoder then its just a waste and 50hz will do the job.

Anyone any advice on if I should go for 50 or 100hz? The only other hardware I connect to it apart from a Sky box is a PS2.

Also any tips on which model to go for? Quite fancied one of the JVC range.

Any tips/advice much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Mozster

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    do a search on here and then read everything u need to know about 50hz and 100hz. If u can see the flicker on a 50hz at present then go for 100hz but if u see no flicker get the Pana 32" PL4 and be amazed.

gb--

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
  4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see PAL 50hz flicker on a 28" Widescreen.

However on a 42" RPTV 50hz set, with a Region 2 DVD I can. Switching over to a NTSC disc (60hz) and their is no flicker.

Since I only buy R1's, I have the knowledge that no 100hz nasties are introduced into the image (juddering, smearing, pixellating) and my DVD image is not flickering.

5. mozster

mozster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the 28" JVC 50HZ (can't remember the model no) and it was OK for a few days until I noticed the flicker and after that it was driving me up the wall!! Good sound though!
    John Lewis has no problems taking it back and I upgraded to the Sony FX66 100Hz 28" model and have no regrets.
    Sound is fine, picture is sumptious and no buzzing!!