1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50Hz or 100Hz - which is quieter?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mister_d, May 4, 2003.

1. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm after a 28" widescreen to replace my frustratingly poor 21" Toshiba, and while almost all the sets I've seen have been more than satisfactory in terms of picture quality, the constant high-pitched buzz that plagues my Toshiba seems to be unavoidable.

I've seen some people mentioning that one of the main advantages offered by 100Hz TVs (and I'm really not at all bothered by 50Hz flicker) is the comparative lack of noise emitted by the componentry, but others sem to be of the opinion that 100Hz TVs are worse than 50Hz in this respect.

So which is true, or are they both as bad as each other? I don't really want to spend the extra on a 100Hz set as even the basic entry-level 50Hz ones cost more than I'd like them to, but if it largely eliminates buzzing - which is undoubtedly the largest flaw I've identified in anything but the worst CRTs (such as my current one) - then I suppose it might be worth it in the long run.

Any advice appreciated.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice 50hz flicker on PAL DVD's, but I can't see any flicker on terrastial TV. My set is a 50hz 42" RP. Luckily I have no PAL DVD's in my collection (all of them are NTSC)

With NTSC it's 60hz, there is no flicker. I guess the extra 10hz helps.

I will probably never buy a 100hz set, unless the source is 100hz (ie like a PC's video card set to 120hz and monitor capable of 120hz)

Every 100hz TV set just seems to look wrong. Speckly, with juddering and pixellation.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100Hz can 'buzz' more, but it really does depend on the model. I can't hear the buzzing from my LS60 unless I stick my ear to the back of the set (luckily, not something I do during viewing :D ). However, I did hear the buzzing on a Philips 50Hz set that I got a refund on before that.

BTW, no pixellation or juddering at all on my LS60 either ;)

4. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies :)

So the consensus seems to be that, if anything, 100Hz sets are more prone to loud buzzing - but the absence of any audible noise on the LS60 implies that silent 50Hz sets exist as well?
    In that case, I think I'll stick with 50Hz, as I'm totally unconvinced of the other advantages associated with 100Hz and would much rather save some cash.

One of the TVs I've looked at is a friend's 21" Sony (not sure of the exact model, but it's the entry level flatscreen 21" mono 4:3), and while I found the picture quality to be exemplary and couldn't really see how it could possibly be improved, I could hear it just as clearly as my Toshiba.

I guess I'm just very picky, lucky that I'm generally not too bothered about all the visual flaws :)

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think any TV is ever perfectly silently, just not audible from viewing distance.

Yes, you can get 50Hz sets that are 'quiet' too.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think Buzzing is often more personal than the TV's fault, as it depends on your range of hearing. Some people can literrally hear a wider frequency range than others.

Personally I think my tv is silent, but my son complains of hearing a screaming noise from all the tv's in our house, that I cannot hear.

All you can do is check whether the tv you like can be heard by yourself.

7. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would definitely agree with you on that - my parents claim to be unable to hear our downstairs TV whereas I can barely stand the noise it makes, though I'd suggest it's more a (convenient) age-related deficiency in high-frequency sound detection than anything else.

I wouldn't exactly describe it as a buzz though, more a continual, faint high-pitched noise. And while direct comparisons between CRT TVs and monitors are not exactly fair for a number of reasons, I can't help but notice that my 21" Sony monitor (usually, but for some reason not always) makes zero detectable noise, even at 60Hz when my Toshiba is at its most irritatingly loud...