1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50Hz flatscreen sets

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by phenom2003, Mar 28, 2003.

1. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What 50hz flatscreen sets are worthy of buying. I have set a budget of £400 what sets are worth buying in this region. it must have a decent build and a good picture, sound isn't really an issue. Does anybody know of one with three scarts (2 rgb, 1 s-video) and an s-video socket (4 pin DIN).

Thanks,Richard

2. dgp

dgp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking around for myself. All the ones I've found with 3 scarts are 100Hz (which I don't really want) and at least £500. But I understand the new model year starts in April so hopefully something'll come out of that.

3. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the Panasonic TX28PL1,fantastic picture but I'm not sure how many scarts it has.If you buy from www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk it's £449.99 with a three year warranty and a tenner for delivery!Slightly over your budget but I think you'd find the extra expenditure well worth it.I was going to buy one of these until I decided to go bigger,if I'd settled for 28" there was no competition,it's got the best picture on the market in my opinion(and eyes!).

4. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Panasonic 28PL1 only has 1 RGB SCART.

I think the TV that will suit your needs is a Sony 28LS35. It has everything you wanted but it's a little over your budget at £449 from Empire Direct.

5. oliver

oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...because then most manufacturers will bring out new models, so that the previous range will get cheaper. Unless you always have to have the latest toys, of course. ;)

I'm going to wait... :D

Oliver.

6. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that tv has only 2 scarts

7. headache

headache

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at JVC AV28T25 it has 3 SCARTs. But only 1 of 3 is RGB. Again may be over budget at £457.

Has anyone done comparison between Pany TX28PL1 and JVC AV28T25 in their travels? I am weighing up this pair to determine which should occupy my sitting room. Any comments useful.

Also, is the PL1 more prone to geometry problems than older or other Pany sets?

8. Knickerzohnonov

Knickerzohnonov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At that budget you may as well wait for the new models to be introduced, then scour the net for last year's range. £400 will not get a lot of tv, especially flat screen. Flat tubes are far more expensive to produce than conventional (curved) crt's because they need far more glass to maintain their mechanical integrity, and more electronics to get over the focus/purity issues created by the flat face.

With that money I'd be looking at curved crt's because that way you will more than likely get the connectivity options you seek, and possibly a better picture to boot. But you are asking a lot to get 2 rgb scarts, most if not all tv's up to double this price (RRP) only have 1.

9. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thats, a pretty tight budget... but I was the same, but managed to scour the net to finda Panasonic TX28PS12C for £499

100hz, 3 scarts etc.

got from John Lewis with the 5 year guarentee, delivery weds :cool:

the TX28PL1 I have seen for £414 from Empire. Think the TX28PS12C is going for 519 at empire too...

10. tobydog

tobydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I've been on the John Lewis site twice and I can't find the PS12 advertised, there is a very limited range showing, any advice?

11. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    A year ago I bought an Hitachi C28WF530AN, which has exactly what you need (2 scart RGB, 1 scart S-Video, front S-Video input) for about 600 € (about 400 pounds).

Pros: All the mentioned connections, great RGB, supports both NTSC modes, stereo RCA out

Cons: Geometry (thanks God for hidden service menus and internet), bad headphones sound.

12. fuzzy logic

fuzzy logic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our local Safeway has just started stocking TVs. They have the Panasonic TX28PL1 in stock, but the display set was mis-labelled at a price of £299.99!! It was out of stock, but the guy at the shop told me they would have to sell it at the price given on the label (they immediately corrected their error, but not before I bagged one at that price!) Tomorrow I will be the proud owner of this fantastic 50 Hz set for less than half the RRP. It's my first widescreen, and I think I'll be happy with it at that price.

13. headache

headache

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tobydog,

John Lewis website only lists few items and to my knowledge always has. You have to go down to your nearest store. They will do price match as long as the other trader has the item in stock at the advertised price. No good having a low price and nil stock.

Again, any views of pro's and cons between JVC and Pany budget sets please.

Even John Lewis stores have poor stock selection at the moment, maybe its because summer is nearly here. I have to go to the high street multiples to view sets, which are often set up badly or attached to poor input source.

14. Kartikp

Kartikp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mate,

I'm interested in getting the Panasonic TX28PS12C - just wanted to know what you thought of it?

How/where did you get John Lewis to price match? I thought they no longer pricematched internet stores?

15. headache

headache

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a TX28PS1 from John Lewis price checked from local internet/store. They said they wouldn't price check against internet store but the place I quoted is also a walk-in store. They will only do price match with other shops that have stock.

I saw a PS12 at local Panasonic shop. It had wobbly verticals in one of its zoom modes on display. I pointed this out to the salesman who said it was normal. I was not impressed.

My PS1 has a bit of pincushion in 4:3 mode but is not a major defect. It is worse if contrast is set high. It was set max on delivery. Note PS1 doesn't have a subtitles mode, not sure about the PS12. Note the new sets have geomagnetic correction facility to correct screen tilt. Mine has not needed any adjustment.

16. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Kartikp - am enjoying my new set very much. was tempted to go for the 32 inch version but it would look a bit silly in my front room.

in terms of picture quality I am very impressed, very clear detailing, the geo is near perfect as far as I can tell, I went for the PS12 cos I do notice the flicker of 50hz sets. thought the ps12 was 80 quid more than the ps1 so spent the extra

watched matrix last night and it was very enjoyable :)

the price match was from a local store, john lewis cheadle were more than happy to accomodate - took a week for them to check it out. delivered in two days, was supposed to be a pm delivery they turned up at 10am :cool:

chose the pana over the sony ls60 cos I didn't much like the stand, or the overall look of the tv, plus the pana has the extra scart, got my pc hooked up and all my other kit. I also preferthe pana picture over the sony. the new looks of the ps range are very nice too, look a little Loewe Aconda in places imo...

friend who is a tv hifi independent swears by pana ans has done for years...

no problems to report - 1 happy owner :zonked: and relived cos the amount of reading up was huge !

17. Kartikp

Kartikp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply :smashin:

18. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you give more details on the PS12... firstly who did you get JL to price match with. Secondly, is the stand good quality.

Any problems??

Thanks

19. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    as I said before it was via a local shop Plumbs in Manchester...

Empire also stock the tv and you can price match them too as far as I am aware

the stand - seems ok, normal panasonic stand that I put together myself, not the most advanced stand in the world, but it is completely standard.

would recommend going to a shop to have a look at one - JL and Curry's both have them

Fe+ :)

20. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FE+ thanks for your previous reply.

Went to JL today to look at the ps12. Looks good! Managed to find it for £468 so will get JL to price match. HOWEVER, before I do can you please tell me if your tv suffers from a dirty screen or vertical bands (noticable during light shots, when panning).

Any other comments now you have had it for a bit?

Thanks for your help

21. Kartikp

Kartikp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mate, where did u manage to find it for 468 pounds?

Thanks in advance ;)

22. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    £468 sounds a v good price ! cheapest I found online was 550ish.

anyway - turned the contrast and the brightness way up and watched some light scenes outta some movies and on terrestial - didn't see what you described. - although I wouldn't profess to be a crt expert in the slightest.

I have the contrast and brightness at approx 45 % for normal viewing haven't seen anything disappointing to date

note : I have only had this set for 2 weeks

no vertical bands either, the picture remains strong and constant. watched the car chase at the start of Goldeneye last night and was tracked the picture fine - was giving all the detailing too.

also recently watched Solaris with George Clooney in - lots of strong bright visuals - was v good

as mentioned previously the geometry is spot on, I am glad to have the 100hz set too as I do notice the flicker with the 50hz sets.

turning on the tv it takes a few seconds to bring the picture on, the sound is reasonable too with a good amount of bass on it's own.

only annoying point was the bag with the bits to assemble the stand had one glass shelf supporter missing - phoned Panasonic and they are sending me a few more - hasn't affected assembly, though I haven't put anything on the shelf until I know it is fully secure !!

I put this and the sony ls60 next to each other in the final decision chose the pana for the picture and it's looks with the addtional scart. Also liked the slightly darker grey band around the edge of the screen on the frame, plus the way the speakers curve in to surround the screen - suppose just down to personal taste in the end ( i think it looks better in the flesh than in the photos online - vice versa for the sony set)

note : every set is different having read broadly around pana sets on here - so go check the set out in JL or wherever you saw it again - don't just take my word for it... ;)