1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50Hz/100Hz

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by thebdj, Oct 31, 2005.

1. thebdj

thebdj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please clear this up for me as I am finding it hard to get my head around.

As a primary requisite, I want a good TV for playing video games. Most nowadays have an option to run at 50Hz or 60Hz depending on your TV and it's capabilities. If you set it to higher than 50Hz, then the game usually looks much better and runs smoother and faster.

If this is the case how come the 436 and 506, newer models than the 435 and 505 are allegedly in 50 Hz as compared to their previous models which are up to 100 Hz and will this affect the video games?

Cheers
    Justin

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the video games, when set to 60Hz, actually run faster i think (they actually make more frames per second) which will make them look smoother, a tv running a 50Hz source at 100Hz will just display every frame twice, which won't make it look smoother, just no flicker (in theory, although progressive plasmas shouldnt flicker at 50Hz anyway).

3. thebdj

thebdj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does that make Pioneer's newer models, the 436 and the 506, inferior to their predecessors?

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    no. i think there is another framerate problem though about 50hz but i have no idea what it is, have to wait for an expert

5. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I tried Animal crossing on my 506, that game is 50hz only (pal version anyway). When it scrolls horizontally, it judders. I haven't tried switching between the 75 and 100hz settings though.

60hz games run super smooth to me though.

6. thebdj

thebdj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you switch between 75 and 100Hz on the 436/506 or just the 435/505?

7. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    You can on the 436/506.

8. thebdj

thebdj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the native (default) frequency set to?

9. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Another member, somebody like Maw will be able to answer that question properly. Something about the media box converting everything to a certain refresh rate. Someone will give you a more accurate answer.

The options for 75hz/100hz are there though.

10. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    If coded correctly, a 50hz (PAL) game will run at 50fps and appear super-smooth. Likewise, a 60hz (NTSC) game will run at 60fps and will also be super-smooth.

A poorly converted game will not be properly v-sync'd hence the judder you get. Most EA games are prime examples of lazy PAL conversions, if you have a modded XBOX you can force NTSC and voila...super-smooth framerates.

11. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    It is hard to tell as games may be coded to run at 25 full frames per second or 50 fields (half frames) per second...if they are coded to run at 25 frames/sec then a Philips PixelPlus or JVC Dynapix TVs can help since these interpolate motion at 100Hz, not just repeat fields (this is called natural motion)...this may look a bit eerie when watching film material (imagine Star Wars feeling like a mexican soap)...ooops...this is a Plasma TV thread...hmmm...anyway the same should apply to Plasma and LCD, only interlaced fielded source is made progressive first, then interpolated...

Anyway, as someone pointed out already, 50 and 60 fields (Hz) per second froma a games console will both look smooth on any TV, it's 25 and 30 fps that look juddery...