50cc Scooter for Teenager

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I understand the third party element but having played around with configuration more, it seems that only accounts for less than half the policy cost. Going up to TPF&T doesn't increase the premium that much but the extra cover is virtually worthless due to the compulsory excess. Going comprehensive more than doubles the premium, again for no real benefit.

owen021173

We can recommend the Peugeot Kisbee 49cc. We bought it new 2 years ago for our son to use to go to work,college and get around on.
Very good idea to introduce them to the world of motoring and having that awareness to take them forward to driving vehicles at 17 as my son managed to pass his driving test first time of which I'll be honest I thought there was no hope for him [emoji23]
Insurance for the first year was £380 tpft with a company called Bikesure with my wife added on as an extra rider as we found it reduced the quote. Second year dropped to £170 and now he doesn't use it we can't decide wether to sell it or keep it to use ourselves?[emoji3]

That's what they said about the lawnmower...

I'm not sure I'd buy new given the insurance situation. I really don't know how it can be legal to sell a policy to cover an £800 item with a £700 excess.
The insurance isn’t for your scooter, heck they probably wouldn’t pay anything anyway. Just think of the damage to others that could take place.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
If it is practical, how about a some training? That could make her more aware of traffic and how to stay safe.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
If it is practical, how about a some training? That could make her more aware of traffic and how to stay safe.
Training is compulsory as in CBT but I would probably look to go beyond that. She's already quite sensible with her pushbike, never rides without a helmet, lights & hi-vis & had some training on that.

I'll see what the local CBT trainer can offer but it's going to be limited until she's legal on the road. Also doing the CBT early, if it is an option, will reduce it's active time. You have to take a test within two years of passing CBT or do it again.

That makes me think of something else. If I was to pick up something now, ahead of her birthday in December, I guess like a car it would have to be taxed & insured or SORN'd.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Quads can be a problem on busy roads, neither car nor bike,
A couple of weeks ago i had an idiot on a quad trying to weave through traffic like a bike does!
Basically people can get overconfident on them.

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Would you consider spending more money and getting her a quadricycle?
Doubt a quad would be practical through traffic or parking. But in any case, I don't think you can ride one at 16.

Edit
Quad needs a full car/bike licence.

Last edited:

pmarb

I have a Honda Vison 50 which I use as my daily commute to and from work (20mins each way) - have had it for over 2 years and think it's a great bike so would recommend it

IronGiant

I'm not sure I'd buy new given the insurance situation.
I just looked at new prices as I thought they would be most comparable between the two brands, and was surprised that the Honda wasn't much more than the Piaggio. I don't know whether that trend would continue in the second hand market or whether one holds value better than another.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I just looked at new prices as I thought they would be most comparable between the two brands, and was surprised that the Honda wasn't much more than the Piaggio. I don't know whether that trend would continue in the second hand market or whether one holds value better than another.
Looking deeper the Honda does seem to have a few better features than the Piaggio. Our country roads aren't great so as someone else said, the larger wheels would maybe help. So it's more of a contender except there's no dealer within 20 miles, which is a potential pain. But they are offering interest free on new, so trying to weigh the actual cost of new vs used over a couple of years.

pmarb

I bought mine from a garage advertising on ebay - garages usually offer delivery in the UK for a fee - you can get a good deal on nearly new bikes eg one year old approx. 500 miles - and garages will do the 600 mile first service as part of the purchase - also the bikes can have a top box already fitted so you can probably save £600 off the new price with accessories already fitted if you shop around

Doug the D

AAAAH, there's a car coming, LOOK OUT!

Seriously @Crocodile, as a motorbike rider, if I had to impart any wisdom on my short time on the road, it would be to pass this on to your grandaughter:

'Ride your scooter as if you're invisible. Pretend that each and every single car cannot see you'

I'm fairly certain that everytime I've ever been out on my bike, some div has pulled out in front of me, it's only by seeing these muppets from so far away and dealing with them before I arrive at them that I've not gone over a bonnet at least 10 times!

There are loads and loads of websites with advice for new riders (I think I've read the whole internet lol), and she'll only get good advice from bikers that she can use too, it's all relevant.

Thumbs up to another rider out there, and if I see her, she'll get 'the nod' :thumbsup: A lot of bikers won't nod to scooters or mopeds (because they're stuck up their own arse), but I always do. I bet it makes a 17 year olds day when a 'proper' biker nods to them :)

Come on Spring, bloody spring already, I wanna get out (on dry roads)!

Oh, and tell her 'ATGATT', if she doesn't know what it means, tell her to Google it :smashin:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Ride your scooter as if you're invisible
My version was "Assume that every other road user is out to kill you!"

Oh, and tell her 'ATGATT'
Absolutely, I wouldn't let her have it straight after the CBT because she was too busy to come & get protective trousers to complete the setup. She also had a bollocking for not bringing her hi-vis when she picked it up from mine.

aerodynamic18

Distinguished Member
amount of ppl that i see not wearing gloves on scooters and sometimes motorbikes really makes me cringe. I always went out fully kitted out no matter how hot it was!

Delvey

Distinguished Member
AAAAH, there's a car coming, LOOK OUT!

Seriously @Crocodile, as a motorbike rider, if I had to impart any wisdom on my short time on the road, it would be to pass this on to your grandaughter:

'Ride your scooter as if you're invisible. Pretend that each and every single car cannot see you'

I'm fairly certain that everytime I've ever been out on my bike, some div has pulled out in front of me, it's only by seeing these muppets from so far away and dealing with them before I arrive at them that I've not gone over a bonnet at least 10 times!

There are loads and loads of websites with advice for new riders (I think I've read the whole internet lol), and she'll only get good advice from bikers that she can use too, it's all relevant.

Thumbs up to another rider out there, and if I see her, she'll get 'the nod' [emoji106] A lot of bikers won't nod to scooters or mopeds (because they're stuck up their own arse), but I always do. I bet it makes a 17 year olds day when a 'proper' biker nods to them :)

Come on Spring, bloody spring already, I wanna get out (on dry roads)!

Oh, and tell her 'ATGATT', if she doesn't know what it means, tell her to Google it :smashin:
I learnt this the hard way. Dislocated and ruptured ankle. However riding a scooter for a year before starting my driving lessons helped massively. All the hazard perception and road sense was there, so all I had to learn was how to use the car in a sense.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
ATGATT of course.

Also SMIDSY is another one to Google but hopefully not hear.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett