50cc Scooter for Teenager

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Maybe one for Motoring but we'll see what happens here first.

My granddaughter will be 16 shortly & I'm contemplating buying her a scooter. She lives out in the sticks with no public transport so this would give her some independence. Obviously CBT & appropriate safety/weather gear will be part of the package but what's a decent, budget machine? I'd probably steer clear of random Chinese makes & look to buy used. Initial search suggests a Piaggio Zip would be a good contender but I know nothing of this market.

So has anyone else been through this & can recommend a make/model along with anything else I may have neglected to consider?

Last edited:

koeman

I'm not saying they don't. On the other hand I didn't know anyone at that age with one, other than seeing the odd smackhead with a straight through exhaust

Showoff

Distinguished Member
I had a Suzuki TS50X when I was 16 and it was great. Now I have two young boys, I'm torn between allowing them to do the same and not wanting them exposed to any unnecessary dangers.

I was riding off-road on a Honda XL250 from the age of 9, so a lot safer and more experienced than the average 16 year old on the road and my boys are only 7 & 5, so I have some time to think about it.

Your situation is tough. A rural setting makes it hard to get anywhere without a bike or help, but while there will be less traffic, she is more likely I'd say to meet a car on the wrong side of the road on a tight narrow bend.

I also had a friend killed on a scooter aged 21 which probably affects my thinking more than anything.

Sorry no help at all.

monkeyfist

I had a second hand Honda Melody when I was 16. It worked flawlessly for 3yrs until I passed my Full licence and bought a car. I don't know if you're looking to buy new or used but there is not a lot togo majorly wrong with them. The Honda Vision was a popular one back then and they still make it today so I would consider them.

Here's a recent roundup of available 50cc 'ers you can then look into them a bit closer.
12 top 50cc bikes and scooters you can buy in the UK

As with regards to safety, it is mostly down to how sensible the rider is. I only ever had one almost accident when I was riding too close behind a Van in the wet when he braked suddenly. I could not see what was going on in front of him and when I braked, the wet just made me skid, luckily to the side and then past the Van! Otherwise I would have been in the back of it. Gave plenty of room after that!

NewfieDrool

Banned
Back when 50cc scooters were proper.......:)

That brings back memories. Our local garage still did the oil mix needed for some of the old bike.
Had my first accident on a Fs1s, a lorry turned down a junction and I was on the inside. Popped off the bike and went straight under the lorry. I was as sick as a pig afterwards.
I went on to the RD125 which had a micron exhaust and bore kit. Not sure I could do it now, but my Bro still loves his bikes and has a CCN.

balidey

Distinguished Member
I'd probably steer clear of random Chinese makes & look to buy used.
This, this, this.
I have had a bit of experience with Honda, Aprilia, Peugeot 50cc mopeds. All of them are fine to do the job and easy to work on. Many bits are interchangeable and most have tuning bits and supplies too, which can make a huge difference to the rideability. I have also been near a few Chinese copies and that is as far as I would want to get. Stay well clear.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Most 50cc scooters are basic and therefore easy to work on if any issues. I would personally get a second hand one. She's bound to drop it. Any of the main brands (Honda, Peugeot, Piaggio, Aprilia) should be reliable. They burn oil as well so will likely need topping up every now and then. It will be restricted to 30 mph as well (Officially). Something to consider if she has to use it on national speed limit roads. People will get impatient and possibly try a risky overtake. You can get them de-restricted but this would be illegal in terms of licence and insurance. Though I never had it checked even after an accident. Get a decent lock as well. They are too easy to throw in the back of a van
I think its a good idea. A years road experience will be a good when she comes to take her driving lesson. Certainly better than a few hours with an instructor. She may even enjoy it and get a motorcycle.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Found a local Piaggio Zip so banged in an insurance quote for her. Premium 75% of the value of the bike with an excess of the same value as the bike! So the scooter is essentially uninsured due to the excess.

NewfieDrool

Banned
That's insurance for young people for you. Might be worth asking at a motorbike shop who they recommend as they know the smaller companies out there.
In fact it's the best way to find her one.

For a scooter I’d definitely stick with Piaggio...Stylish and classic. Personally I would try and be a bit different and get a proper classic looking one imported from the mainland. Or get the Liberty model with the bigger wheels, much less bouncy on the bad UK roads...

Or, I prefer Vespa subbrand from Piaggio...A Vespa Primavera looks pretty cool as well.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
@Crocodile if you need sorted out with a scooter motorbike / CBT / DAS / gear etc in London - just PM me and I'll get you hooked up and looked after.

Or any of you forum reprobates that are in the market.

Eric

Distinguished Member
We are looking at this too. Daughter now has a horse and between the grandparents and us, have to transporter her the 3 miles to the farm!
She's only 14 now, but when she is 16, its a really good option.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
3 miles would be perfect for a push bike surely? Also good exercise and not much slower than the scooter either?

We are looking at this too. Daughter now has a horse and between the grandparents and us, have to transporter her the 3 miles to the farm!
She's only 14 now, but when she is 16, its a really good option.
3 miles would be perfect for a push bike surely? Also good exercise and not much slower than the scooter either?
Agreed, that is what my 14 year old does to the livery. Heck I do a twice daily dog walk that is a longer distance than that.

Eric

Distinguished Member
She cycles with me as it is and swims! Also, in a morning pre-college and after it would be quicker.

She can get there almost straight away, do what she needs to as Tuesday/Thursday she has Army cadets!

I do see your point though.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Personally, I'd pay loads extra for the 4 stroke engine that the Honda has
That's what they said about the lawnmower...

I'm not sure I'd buy new given the insurance situation. I really don't know how it can be legal to sell a policy to cover an £800 item with a £700 excess.

Showoff

Distinguished Member
That's what they said about the lawnmower...

I'm not sure I'd buy new given the insurance situation. I really don't know how it can be legal to sell a policy to cover an £800 item with a £700 excess.
I feel your paid and I'm not trying to justify "ripoff" insurance premiums, but remember it's not just potential damage and replacement of your daughters scooter they would need to cover in the event of an accident.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton