506XDE Wall Mount

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by thebdj, Nov 3, 2005.

1. thebdj

thebdj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you've convinced me to go for a 506, does anyone have any information on wall mounts. What are the best, how easy are they to chuck on and how much do they cost? Also, without being really dense, how do they work with you having to put new connections in? or are all the connections down the sides?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hope this is not a blow to you then, but the XDE has a separate media box/TV tuner, on the end of a 3m proprietary cable. Longer ones are available at wild expense, and mediocre quality. After market ones are around at wallet meltdown cost. This means no connections are made at the plasma apart from this 1 cable, plus power.
    On to wall mounts, any old bit of pressed steel purporting to be a wall mount will do the biz, I use relatively expensive ones cos if you mount them for a living, (or infact pay someone else to do this every day) 20 mins saved is a lot of money. Cheap ones tend to be fiddlier to use, for a DIYer this is not really an issue, you are going to take 3 x as long as my guys anyway! They have grown out of the fear factor, when the weight of the plasma settles on to the mount!

3. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Maw,

As far as these cables go, what are they called - ie, its a dvi cable and ???. Are the aftermarket ones significantly better than the factory ones? Im afraid 3mts may be a metre or so short for our application.

Cheers,

Julie

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's DVI and a control cable, whose connector name escapes me ATM, I'm sure someone else will fill you in. Wireworld make one, which some people swear they can see a difference with, I think it's in the region of £500? Pioneers own is about 1/2 that, and you can get a 7m version for 1/2 again. Alternatively you can choose another plasma! The world's finest plasma TV can be beaten, and pretty easily, by separate components. This is not a problem if it's a 'proper install' so to speak, you really only need a TV if all you are having is the speakers on the side and a dvd player. If going for a full home cinema sound system, and like most, already have digital TV, it'll be easier to go another way.

5. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had an interesting conversation with a pioneer representative regarding the dvi cable used on the 5060. was told that the cable was not a std dvi cable and that it performed other functions also. is this true? thought dvi was for video only?

thanks,

julie