1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

506XDE - First impressions.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Blue Triangles, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Right,

Setup my display on Sunday, first thing I tried was DVD through HDMI. I picked Finding Nemo as I knew this was in 16:9 ratio and wouldn't have borders top and bottom of the screen. I first tried it with the default settings just to see how it looked, I was amazed at how clear and vibrant the picture was. I then tried One of the Star Wars DVD'S (New hope), again I was extremely impressed with what I saw. I wasn't so impressed with Lord of the Rings : FOTR, it seemed to look a little flat in comparison to the others, Return of the King looked a lot better. I then found I was even more impressed with 1080i rather than 720p, picture seemed a little sharper but just as smooth.

The next thing I tried was Xbox through RGB scart, I wasn't really happy with what I saw to be honest, in comparison with my Philips 36" CRT with pixel plus, the picture looked very flat. This is when I started playing around with the settings, after a little messing about I eventually got a picture I was happy with, Ninja Gaiden looked very impressive.

Sky digital looked better than I expected, I haven't tried any RF connection and probably never will.

So far I've been blown away by this tv. I've read a bit of criticism recently on these boards whilst waiting for the set to be delivered, it was really putting me off at One point, thankfully I can't relate to any of it as yet. I have no idea what this judder problem is, I haven't seen any, although I haven't watched any sport at all yet. The black level is good enough for me.

I have One pixel that stays black on a blue background but it's not visible from Five feet away.

All in all, very pleased so far. :smashin:

2. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    marks out of ten?

3. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Tough to say so early on. Based purely on what I've seen so far, a firm 9.5 ;)

4. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  5. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I'll tell you what I can't wait to do, run the Xbox360 through component! :thumbsup:

6. Vipers

Vipers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm so glad you're happry with the 506, Ordered mine yesterday from Peter Tyson, getting it tomorrow, now I'm starting to worry that I've made the right choice, and that it's not going to be too big, is there such a thing, How far do you sit away from the screen, I'm about 9-10 feet away, oh well too late now, I'll post when I get it to let you know my first impressions,
    Cheers,
    Paul.

7. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I sit between 9 and 10 feet away from the screen. Although overwhelming at first, you soon get used to the size. That distance should be absolutely fine.

8. Chris Blackwell

Chris Blackwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our 506XDE is about 10 feet away and we were remarking last night just how quickly one gets used to the size of it. In fact I am starting to think it looks a little small. Perhaps I need to go watch 'Lost' on the Philips 14" in the guest bedroom to remind myself just how lovely the Pioneer really is!

Make sure you connect the Sky+ box directly to the RGB scart input 1 on the Pioneer media box though, and select RGB as the input using a good quality Scart lead. The picture otherwise is fairly dreadful, as is the normal analogue TV picture.

9. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    what about when you set it up correctly Chris? Is the pic much better?

10. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    :eek:

11. Glasgow Adam

Glasgow Adam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    xbox via component is better than scart - but not as excellent as a proper high def picture. But only 6 weeks to the 360...