506xde Contrast Setting

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by adiii, Nov 2, 2005.

1. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone with a 506xde tried the THX optimiser that is on the Incredibles DVD... If they have can they run the advanced video test and let me know if they can see all the 10 black boxes and the THX drop shadow, or can they only see 7 boxes (the other 3 are sub-black that not all dvd/screens can reproduce apparently)...mine cant :O(
    Also on the contrast test with the 12 "Ramps" and "Blocks", can you see all the ramps and blocks correctly...

Thanks...

2. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok...so no one with a Pioneer 506XDE has the Incredibles DVD... :suicide: Maybe someone with a different PDP can try the THX videotest and see if their screen can display the sub-black boxes...

3. Munin

Munin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably your DVD player that can't output blacker than black. I have a 506XDE and a 868(HDMI) and I can see the THX drop shadow and the 10 black boxes if I turn up the brightness.
    Regards

4. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that Munin...I only get to see 7 boxes on my setup... :O(
    Do you find that the whites are crushingly white on your 506...even with a contrast of 5 and brightness of 0, white shirts and bright windows etc. lose definition...(cant see creases or detail)...The picture is very clean and clear, just seems like the gain is too high...Thats on sky or DVD...

5. Munin

Munin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see that mate. I don't have "sky" (I live in norway :) ), but the packages we have here (Viasat and Canal Digital) on digital satellite looks very good.
    I've set it up with DVE on my DVD player, and I don't get "white crush" unless I go over 42 in contrast(chapter 13-2 and 12-14, in DVE)! I don't have contrast that high, but that is peak of what my setup can do...

6. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think I may have a problem with the media box...thanks for helping...

7. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Hi I had the same issues but have cured them, you must let the set run in! 200 hours or so try the following: turn off all the contrast processing in DRE menu dynamic contrast off ACL off gamma to 1 leave black level on. Make sure your contrast is set to between 25-30 you will find the crush will disappear, once you have run the set in ramp up the contrast to 30-35. Turning off the processing really helps, had the same issue with the incredibles found my brightness control was set for my old tv now can see all the black block & the THX backdrop. Also changed the mains cables to merlin cables & again the difference to the depth of picture is huge

8. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    No matter what I do to the settings (most processing is off anyway), even with contrast at practically zero and brightness at zero...the whites are nearly always too bright... Did u really notice a difference just by changing AC cables? BTW...must have around 600 hours on it by now...

9. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Yep cables made a big difference to depth, have you checked the contrast setting on your Sky box & dvd player, what dvd player do you have? same issues through the freeview tuner?. Recently I think the picture from Sky has gone pretty s..t, specially on ITV. I'm just starting to ramp up my contrast after run in, picture is still improving, I have seen this set with true HD and it is awesome. R U using decent cables. I have also made subtle changes elsewhere with the 506 settings but that I guess is personal taste.

10. Chris Blackwell

Chris Blackwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Merlin cables ... where do you get those from then?

11. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
  12. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep it seems the whites are high on all the inputs...the cables are vivanco scart and ixos component...the dvd is a denon SD500 , the contrast on sky is set to low...506 contrast is set to +2 and 80% of the time its very good...Was watchin some nature program the other day and close ups of insects looked excellent...just like hi def...just that if there is a pure white image on the screen it really glows...
    Another thing...from the description, PureCinema says it is to "Play a film recorded on a dvd in a high resolution"...I thought it changed the refresh to 75Hz for NTSC or something, but the description sounds like it is scaling... I got a Pioneer service call coming to take a look so Ill wait n see what he says...
    BTW...I got ferrites on my cables, but how can power cables affect the image that much...how are they different to regular ones?