1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

506XDE 436XDE? Apart from size....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by phcahill, Sep 2, 2005.

1. phcahill

phcahill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having sucessfully returned my new Sagem HD45 DLP tv (rainbows everywhere) today I'm back in the market.
    The sagem was a natural 720p 16:9 format and looked great.

Just a quickie. 436 or 506? What effect is the resolution difference going to have for HD stuff or using with a PC for HD, DVD and gaming. Will PC software (eg powerdvd etc.) understand that the 436 has non-square pixels?

I saw that the contrast rating is higher on the biggie. Anything else?

The 506 is going to be a tight fit for me or maybe impossible but if I have to make it fit then......

Paul

2. n0bby

n0bby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was surprised to find out (from a colleague of mine who took delivery of his 506XDE last night) that the resolution of the 436XDE is not actually strictly "HD" - it's 1024 x 720, as opposed to the true 16:9 HD standard of 1280 x 720. He thought it must be a misprint in the Pioneer manual (one manual is supplied for both models), but a quick check online confirms this resolution for the smaller screen.

Doesn't this mean the Pio will give less impressive HD results than other 42" models out there, that offer the correct resolution? I'd already decided we need a 50" to replace our busted Hitachi 42" plasma, and the Pio 506XDE is what I'm after too - but I'm more convinced now than before!

3. phcahill

phcahill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think those pixels are square. OK for TV but probably a pain when using a PC as I doubt it will realise that you are widescreen.
    Media Player can be set up OK with one of the advanced options (you drag a circle until it's circular).

I now have the 506 and I love it. The only issue I have is the blues can be a bit blue/black. Hopefully Gordon will call me at some point for a calibrate.

BTW you will not get good results on a pio to PC using an hdmi cable. You will have to go vga on both.

4. Benedict

Benedict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Vertical resolution on both panels is 768, not 720.

A 1280X768 feed from a PC works fine on the 436, even though it's horizontal resolution is 1024.

There aren't many 42" panels with a horizontal resolution greater than 1024. If you want 1280 or even 1366 then you generally have to go for 50" or above.

5. n0bby

n0bby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes of course. :oops:

6. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It stands to reason though that the 506 is going to give you a sharper PC picture than a 436.
    On the 506 you will be feeding it with it's native horizontal resolution but the 436 will have to scale this down to 1024.

7. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not really, HD is only about lines (requires at least 720), and the 436 has 768, therefore it does qualify as HD. No other 42" plasma, to my best knowledge, has a resolution greater than 1024x768.

</symphara>

8. n0bby

n0bby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's where I was mislead then - my workmate was convinced that 42" HD ready screens should be, and mainly are, 1280 res. But as he's only been looking at 50" options right from the outset that's not so surprising.