1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

504HDE settings using DVE - again

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Brogan, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Brogan

Oct 9, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Cary, North Carolina
    I know there have been a few threads on settings but rather than resurrect an old one, I though it might be better to start afresh.

As the DVE disk isn't great for contrast, I've worked out that the best way of setting it is to use the THX optimiser found on some DVD's.

So, following the instructions and after much guesswork, I've settled on a value of 42 for contrast. This is about 2 steps before the white squares start to merge and lose their distinction.
    This was with the colour temp set to mid.

So with those 2 settings fixed, I ended up with the following afer using DVE (this was via HDMI from an 868 DVD player):

Colour Temp: Mid
    Contrast: 42
    Brightness: +6
    Colour: -5
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: -1

I found -2 on sharpness slightly reduced the black too much for my liking.
    I could have probably set the tint to 1 or 2 steps either side of 0 as there seems to be a small range where the result is acceptable. I'll leave it on 0 for now.

I found the best way was to start with each setting well below the mid point and gradually increase it until it looks correct.
    Take a note of the value and then wind it up to well past the mid point and gradually reduce it until it looks correct.
    Hopefully the 2 values should be the same.
    It's also useful to close your eyes for a second or two and then when you open them you can immediately see if it looks right.

Next step is to record a movie from Sky+ and using the DVD player as a reference, set the Sky RGB input to match it.

Anyone else care to post their results?