Question 5040Ube Woes

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rawardy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. rawardy

rawardy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had this projector for 7 months and unfortunately I've had a run of very bad luck with it. Basically the projector died on me last night. I bought the projector from the US in January and moved back home to the UK a few months ago (due to circumstances out of my control). I emailed Epson UK and they didn't want to know and pointed me to Epson USA, from which I received a dismissive we can't help if you're outside the USA. I can't even ship it there, out of my own pocket to be fixed under Warranty.

What makes this worse is that it appears I have a well known defect with the power supply where by my $3000 projector is essentially outlasted by the bulb it came with.
    here be the link to the power supply failure thread..

So I'm at a loss of how to deal with this, it took me a long time to save up for this, my first ever projector, and after the move back home I can't afford super expensive repairs. Part of me is thinking of just cutting my losses and selling it on eBay for parts or I may fix it and sell it as a refurb if it makes financial sense.

Does anyone know anybody cheap and reputable who can fix this issue and a round about price I can expect? I have no clue on the price of projector parts, or if anything other than the power unit needs replacing in cases like this.

If anyone has any other ideas on how I can sort this or get Epson to not suck, I'm all ears.

(If you got this far you can safely ignore below, I'm in mourning and am ranting)..

I know in the warranty terms and conditions I'm not covered out of the USA, but Epson sold me a faulty product with a known fault. A reputable company would take some responsibility for that, or at least reach some sort of compromise, instead I got standard corporate dismissiveness, contrary to the good things I've heard about their customer service in the past.. If the projector broke a few months ago in the USA they would fix it, but if they don't have to, they don't care. Epson never again.

2. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Wow, that does suck. What does the clause in the US warranty say which means they are off the hook if you flea the country ? I'm sure you've thought of these things but you don't have a pal over there you could send it to who could forward it to Epson. I don't really see how they can duck the warranty because you happen to be elsewhere at the moment, what happens if you were to return, or at least make it look like you did ?

Hopefully someone will chime in with a UK repairer.

3. rawardy

rawardy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Essentially the warranty only covers operation of the projector in the US/Canada region. Take one step out of the region, plug it in and it's void. Luckily I never sent them the devices s/n, so there is that. Going to shop around the UK for repair prices. Failing that I'm either hopping on a plane and physically walking the damn thing into a repair centre or shipping it like you said.

All expensive options unfortunately, unless UK repair is somehow mercifully cheap.

4. rawardy

rawardy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update... I emailed the Vice President of Epson US, and they are sending round someone to look at the projector tomorrow. I'll keep folks posted.

5. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    That’s great. Shows it’s right to stick at it. I hope you have a successful outcome.