504 input 3 - HDMI & component

Brogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got their 504 set up with 2 conections to input 3 - e.g. HDMI and component?

I currently have my PS2 connected to the component inputs and I have adjusted the settings accordingly - brightness, colour, etc.

I plan to connect my 868 to the HDMI socket (when the cable gets here) and from what I understand, you must manually select the connection to be used on input 3 - i.e. HDMI or component.

My question however is related to the screen settings.
Will these be the same for both the component and HDMI inputs or can you set different values for each?
If you can't then I'm going to have to connect my PS2 another way as it's going to be pain changing all the settings each time.

Anyone with any actual experience of this?

Hmm well i was planning to do the same thing with my 868 when it arrived, as i currently have my ps2 connected via component to the 434..

To be honest i think i'll just optimize my settings for the 868 and then just live with them for the ps2, because after changing the cable from the composite/scart adaptor to the ixos component i can say there is no way i'm going back to the standard thing.

asked my m8 at work quickley and he seems to think once set the setting apply to the input and not source. so setting will be the same for each. ie dvd player ps2 etc. youll have to change manualy each time

Well if that's the case then input 3 is largely useless as you can only use it for scart or component or HDMI which means you can only have 1 high quality feed to the plasma...

u could try it by setting it to component /hdmi change settings even though u get no signal. change it back to ps2 and see if they have change. if they have then theres your answer
I was tring to remember what my 503 did but i think i had to change that each time as well but cant quite remember

can you switch to hdmi without anything plugged into it? i got the impression it was like ilink in that it wouldn't let you select it without input.

Anyway, did i just misunderstand the question earlier? surely regardless of screen settings (brightness,colour,etc right?), component via input 3 is going to be superior to any other option you have with a ps2 at the moment?

You can select HDMI on if you have something connected to input 3 - in my case I have the PS2 via the component sockets.

Not sure I understand the second part of your post but my point is if the the screen is optimised for DVD playback via the HDMI socket this will most likely not be the optimum settings for PS2 via component.
It will therefore mean manually adjusting all the settings each time you swich from HDMI to component and vice versa.

Edit: Just checked and the settings are shared by the component and HDMI inputs. :mad:
That really screws things up as I now don't have a good connection for the PS2. S-video is the best I can do unless I accept the fact that I'll have to fiddle about with the settings every time I want to use it...:thumbsdow

Yes thats right Brogan.. sorry thats what i was trying to get across in my first post, i too have my ps2 connected via component to input 3 on my 434, and i'm waiting for my 868 so that i can connect it via HDMI, but my feeling having looked at the ps2 connected via the standard cable compared to component that regardless of dvd optimized settings on input 3 is that its still gonna be far superior with the ps2 via component than any other option available.. Not ideal i know, but then neither was Pioneer putting HDMI and component on the same input...

Guess we just have to wait until Pioneer bring out an HDMI switching amp, and Sony bring out an HDMI cable for the ps2 (or ps3?)...
Though thinking about... even then, wouldn't your screen settings problem exist??

good luck on switching amps with HDMI. 1-2 yrs away. the new amp from pioneer dosent have HDMI on it. the reason for this is that HDMI is soon to change ie HDMI2. at present only 2 channel audio can pass over the cable. HDMI2 can pass 8 channels hence y it seems some companies are holding of till the new standard is finalized then will see amps with HDMI

and yes that wont solve the problem. you realy need 2 inputs on media box. 1shared ,1 dedicated

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom