Bargain 500w 2x10" Cambridge Audio Aero 9 £229

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MrNismo, Jun 2, 2019.

1. MrNismo

MrNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
  2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,716
    Same price as Richersounds....

3. mikebh41

mikebh41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    One of these or a BK 200?

Mike

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    BK definitely! One member bought Aero9 and had some problems with the amp right away, he returned it or sold it and got SVS SB1000 which was miles better! Also there was some review for Aero9 and they said the limits came quite soon when pushed.

If you can afford new BK (grade-b) there is few great options:

XLS200 - 307£ shipped.
    Double Gem - 340£ shipped
    P12-300SB - 357£ shipped

Items for sale by colosussxb | eBay

5. mikebh41

mikebh41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the info quite taken by the XLS200 only question is it compatible with the rest of my Kef KHT8005 speakers room is just under 4mby 4m will only be used for the odd movie am limited by size as it has to fit under a table next to the sofa.

Mike.

6. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    KHT8005 is passive soundbar so you have some receiver there to power the speakers. Just like the KEF Kube subwoofer which comes with the soundbar you will connect the BK to your receiver (from R (Mono) -> receivers sub 1 pre-out).

Personally i would keep the sub close to soundbar as they are quite small and the sub needs to play higher so it could locate more easier if not placed close by with the speakers. Ideally you would want to blend the sub with the speakers best you can. But you do what you can. XLS200 comes with 5meter sub cable if i remember right.

Which receiver you got there?

7. mikebh41

mikebh41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Marantz SR6009 the sub is abut 5 to 6 ft away from the soundbar on the righthand side wall as you look at the TV. its got to go under the table due to wife issues unfortunately plus that's where the cable is.

8. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    If you have found your earlier sub working fine there, then no problem. But remember BK offers beautiful wood veneers and gloss colours, also DF model so basically the driver can`t be seen, the little box is then more of furniture. These are good tricks to play with wife if she would like some finish and this way let you have it "visible" in the front wall. :) But up to you.. You can click the pictures larger in the main site.

Example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you must go under the table route, order XLS200 via the link i shared earlier. You save 40£ and likely little bit lower shipping via Ebay. There is FF & DF satin black and white for 297£ + 10£.

9. mikebh41

mikebh41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So on the front wall would be best ?. I have attached a couple of pics and after talking with the wife I may get away with the sub in the circled areas but not sure if a corner is a good idea?. She would prefer it where the table is even if we got rid of the table so I could go a bit bigger if the rest of the system would be up to it.Is there any other makes you would recommend will be near a Richer Sounds tomorrow so could pop in as at least I could have a listen as buying without hearing with the BK.

sub3.jpg sub4.jpg

mike

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  10. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    You should try it in couple places and basically just listen where it sounds best, there can be very noticeable differences so do try out! Those spots you showed are used very often including front corner. Your receiver does some form of subwoofer eq which can be helpful. I thought first it would be much further away, so all good.

You don`t need to go to RS, cause you might come back with something poor. They are good with talking, sadly lot of lies. SVS and REL are the only ones i would think about from there, but they start from 499£.

REL HT1003 - 10" sealed 300w - 499£
    SVS SB1000 - 12" sealed 300w - 519£

BK XLS200 - 10" sealed 275w - 297£ (grade-b new)
    BK P12-300SB - 12" sealed 300w - 346£ (grade-b new)

With the BK you got to understand they use internet direct business model, so no middle man and they build cabinets/amps/paint them at Essex so clear cost savings. Most others are designed in X country, build in China and then goes through dealers so you will pay some extra. I know it feels odd to buy something blind, but you can find 10years backwards owners comments via googling as BK has been very popular not only in UK, but other countries aswell.

If you want larger one, then the P12-300SB i listed (346£ basic colours Ebay). Just keep in mind the larger cabinet could limit you placement wise (wife), unless she agrees if she can choose the finish (from BK site cost 399£ + shipping). The KEF soundbar is decent one, specs are quite promising actually if true.

Dimensions:

DF: 400D x 460H x 400W
    FF: 450D x 400H x 400W

Like to read reviews for peace of mind? Check these:

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/HCC_151_098.pdf

BK Electronics P12-300SB Subwoofer Review

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Images/Platinum/HCC201506.pdf

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Images/Platinum/HFC_405_BK_Subwoofer_Reprint.pdf

Sorry for OP about messing up the bargain thread. :blush:

11. mikebh41

mikebh41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    yes apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread. I really think the 200 will be more than adequate for what I need and will fit under the table if needed will also be an upgrade on the kef as well.
    Just to add bk200 ordered so all good.
    Thanks
    Mike

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  12. MrNismo

MrNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    No need to apologise^
    My friend who originally asked me about the Aero9 came round to demo some of my equipment.
    We demo'd Tron Legacy and Pacific rim with my old 10 inch REL q200e which weighs 17kg.
    Drove it quite hard til it shut down:facepalm:.
    Then ran my BK Monolith Plus.....he was instantly sold.
    He tried to lift it and felt the build quality ALL 47kg of it:rotfl:.
    Told him the Aero 9 was only 11.7 kg:(.
    Definitely not saying the Aero9 is in the same league as a BK etc, but as a first sub possibly.

13. SlippersMcLargehuge

SlippersMcLargehuge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not looking to hijack either, but i find it interesting no one is mentioning the BK gemini ii. I see the xls mebtioned all over, like in this thread but in a small room would i notice the difference? Would it be supior to the aero?

I'm looking for a starter sub for mainly films and tv.

The trend is always to push for higher spec in posts but going from kef cresta floorstanders to q acoustics 3020s i'm thinking any sub would be great.

14. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    In most cases members have size limitations set by wife, because of that one is limited to choose the best small subwoofer for low bucks. That is XLS200. XLS200 almost doubles the power and has better driver, so there is that extra potential if you need to really push it and you won´t get "what if.." thoughts if you choose the better one. Buyers remorse is horrible!

But it gets very tricky because of the small price differences. 212£ / 297£ / 346£. So if you can afford XLS200 you should definitely save up for P12 if size isn´t problem, because the jump in performance will be bigger from XLS200 to P12 than it is with Gem II vs. XLS200 (same size cab & driver). The cabinet size grows from 18litre to 50litre and 10" -> 12". In the long run 50£ is nothing.

If you have small room, listen low levels with neighbours not after big rumble and have limited budget & size restrictions then GemII is going to be fine! You have great support/customer service/part availability and great aftersale value/easy to sell when you upgrade with BK. With CA Aero9 you might not get as lucky..