500gb external sata drive

dewalty

Standard Member
Reaction score
one ps3
one ps3 hardrive extender courtesy of xecuter (PS3 HDXT)
one Seagate ST3500641AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB
one Nexstar 3 Esata external enclosure, in ohh so very sexy piano black

And you end up with a 500gb ps3 :)
I have partitioned it for YDL install so 10gb has gone to that

More pics to follow, should there be interest.

Attachments

• esata.jpg
    esata.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 368
  • caddy.JPG
    caddy.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 500gb.jpg
    500gb.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 361
one ps3
one ps3 hardrive extender courtesy of xecuter (PS3 HDXT)
one Seagate ST3500641AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB
one Nexstar 3 Esata external enclosure, in ohh so very sexy piano black

And you end up with a 500gb ps3 :)
I have partitioned it for YDL install so 10gb has gone to that

More pics to follow, should there be interest.

Nice one mate. Thats exactly what im looking for.

Where did you get the ps3 hard drive extender from / where can I buy one?

Did you just use a normal SATA cable to connect the hard drive to the hard drive extender?

How is the hard drive powered?

Did it all format etc ok?

More pictures please.

Cheers

Frollkiller

Nice one mate. Thats exactly what im looking for.

Where did you get the ps3 hard drive extender from / where can I buy one?

Did you just use a normal SATA cable to connect the hard drive to the hard drive extender?

How is the hard drive powered?

Did it all format etc ok?

More pictures please.

Cheers

Frollkiller

mrmodchips have the adaptor for the sum of £12.99 +shipping

The extender comes with a black cover the replaces the original hardrive cover, this has a cut out for the sata connector to plug into. The nexstar 3 360SU has a Esata connector, but comes with an adaptor. This is designed to go on a pc so its a bulky. I just need to get an Esata to sata cable.

The enclosure comes with a power supply.

Yes all formatted ok, and i restored old files.

Pics soon.. its late !!!

i have the same caddy with a 500gb drive. dont see the point in getting an adaptor though., i just kept the original drive in my ps3. do you see any improvement in speed at all?

hotness.jpg

Is your 500gb hard drive connected via USB then james.miller?

yeah sure is:)

no i kept the 60gb main drive. i use it for music and anything else i want to throw on there. pics ect. it's western digital 500gb aaks:)

i have the same caddy with a 500gb drive. dont see the point in getting an adaptor though., i just kept the original drive in my ps3. do you see any improvement in speed at all?

No increase in speed, as im sure you are aware, the PS3 has a SATA 150 controller, so the transfer rate is the same.

First one shows the adaptor plate, just need to get a ESata to Sata cable.

The last pic with the sata connector showing, isnt as red in real life.

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 430
  • side on.jpg
    side on.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 187
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 249
I'd like to see how the hard-drive is connected to the PS3. I'd appreciate any pictures taken.

edit: nvm. see it.

Thanks for the pictures dewalty.

:) Thats the hard drive im planning on getting. :)

Im thinking of this caddie though. It should be fine shouldnt it?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=465786

get the nextstar. trust me, suits it perfectly.

No increase in speed, as im sure you are aware, the PS3 has a SATA 150 controller, so the transfer rate is the same.

First one shows the adaptor plate, just need to get a ESata to Sata cable.

The last pic with the sata connector showing, isnt as red in real life.

the *maximum* transfer rate may be the same, but your 500gb seagate will be a hell of a lot quicker than the standard drive, thats why i was asking:)

get the nextstar. trust me, suits it perfectly.

the *maximum* transfer rate may be the same, but your 500gb seagate will be a hell of a lot quicker than the standard drive, thats why i was asking:)

Do you think so? Will have to give it a day or two to see. Only fitted it this morning, though the restore files seemed to be quicker than the backing up did.

Isn't it a bit risky to have your 'main' HD external, especially with cables like that trailing about?

Having said that, it does look REALLY nice, and it is nice to have 500GB to play around with for demos, gamesaves etc. Might consider getting the enclosure to put my drives in via USB....

Isn't it a bit risky to have your 'main' HD external, especially with cables like that trailing about?

Having said that, it does look REALLY nice, and it is nice to have 500GB to play around with for demos, gamesaves etc. Might consider getting the enclosure to put my drives in via USB....

You are right about the cable. Its a temp fix, as I didnt get a Esata to Sata cable, with the drive case. One is on its way though.
Its a shame that power supply for the drive couldnt have been enclosed in the case.

Do you think so? Will have to give it a day or two to see. Only fitted it this morning, though the restore files seemed to be quicker than the backing up did.

most definitely. your seagate 7200.10 will average a good 15-20mb/sec faster than the stock ps3 drive at least, but how much that affects system performance reminas to be seen. it's all down to how much the drive is accessed. games that cache data a lot should get a decent boost:)

hotness.jpg

I just thought id let you know that the stickers on your Bravia are removable and wont tear the chassis.

Is there any way to connect a drive to a PS3 and a network or PC at the same time? Otherwise I'd just be duplicating all my data, which makes no sense to me.

Is there any way to connect a drive to a PS3 and a network or PC at the same time? Otherwise I'd just be duplicating all my data, which makes no sense to me.

I assume you could connect the drive to your PC and try streaming it using Linux. I don't think it's possible to have 2 direct physical connections working at the same time on one drive (i.e. PS3 via USB and PC via firewire)

no i kept the 60gb main drive. i use it for music and anything else i want to throw on there. pics ect. it's western digital 500gb aaks:)

I tried connecting my 320gb USB hard drive to my PS3 and it did not recognise it at all although it does always recognise my USB 1GB Hard Drive - any ideas why that would be?

I tried connecting my 320gb USB hard drive to my PS3 and it did not recognise it at all although it does always recognise my USB 1GB Hard Drive - any ideas why that would be?

Is it formatted for FAT32 as opposed to NTFS ?

Just wondering - thought there was a partition limit when using FAT32? In which case, how've you got your 500GB drive set up?

My external HDD is partitioned but the PS3 only sees 1 partition.

Just wondering - thought there was a partition limit when using FAT32? In which case, how've you got your 500GB drive set up?

My external HDD is partitioned but the PS3 only sees 1 partition.

Yes if I remember right was the limit 32gb. Will have a look further into it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom