500 to spend on new base unit *ADVICE*

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gazza_1862, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Gazza_1862

Gazza_1862

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all....I am looking to buy a new base unit and have around 500 pounds to spend. For the last few years I have had pc's built by a local small dealer but they are the type of machines that are chucked together with non discript components inside...I am looking to buy a good branded machine like HP,Compaq or possibly a dell (any good?)...Although I have noticed PC World sell a lot of emachines and the Advent brand,Are these any good as I have been told these are made for PC World using cheaper components.Is it worth while considering one of these "cheaper units?"

The main two areas I want to consentrate on are very good graphics and good quality sound as I intend to play a lot of games and I also like to listen to MP3 a lot so a good sound card is a must.

I have also noticed that HP/Compaq now sell a lot of their reconditioned units on ebay under the name of hp_marketplace_uk......has anyone had any dealings with them good or bad?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any adice would be appreciated...GAZZA

2. pinkerton

pinkerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm afraid all branded PC's will always cop out on something, ie cheap M/B or GFX. I will always recommend building to spec, you always know your getting quality components. Tell me wot you need and would be happy to "recommend" a spec for you.

3. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    How about something like this:

Antec SLK3700AMB case £52
    MSI K7N2-ILSR Delta £76
    Kingmax Turbo 512Mb PC2700 £66
    AMD XP3000+ £94
    Samsung CDRW/DVD £41
    Seagate Barracuda 80Gb 7200rpm ATA £57
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro £158

Total £544 inc VAT

The motherboard has 5.1 sound, and something like the 9800 pro video card has a fair price/performance balance and should do you for gaming for a couple of years (forget Half Life 2 etc with all bells & whistles though unless you spend £300 on the video card alone).

A tenner more on many of the components (CPU, RAM, HDD etc) moves you up a notch, so you could get PC3200 RAM, an XP3200+ and a 120Gb HDD for around £600. If you're into MP3s, a bigger HDD could be a sensible choice, since they're going for silly money these days.

4. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    take a look on ebay a company called interweb systems are doing very close to the spec recommended for £379