50" upgrade suggestions for a Panny PV500 owner

pwood

I bought my Panasonic 42" PV500 4 and half years ago. I would like a new screen and 50" seems ideal (I sit 3.5m away). One of the 60" LG plasmas is tempting but shmbo recons it would be overkill and that I would notice every flaw in the picture.

Budget is around £1000. I have not been keeping up to date with the models out there as there are so many especially Samsung.

LCD seems to be very impressive until I watch SD on them then its back to normal hence why Plasma seem the best choice.

I am put off by the LG range due to the screen retention issue noted in the AV review as I watch News 24/Sky News a fair bit

Last edited:

pwood

Okay perhaps the above was more statement than question.

Can anyone suggest a few around £1000 that have the least issues and work well with everything including Blue Ray.

ahaydock

I use to have exactly the same TV and it is a great set.

As above another Panny at your budget would be the best bet. Maybe wait a couple of months and see what the prices will be like on the full HD Pannys.

If you can stretch to it I would recommend you grab a Pioneeer PDP-LX5090 this week before they shoot up by 30% :D

pwood

I use to have exactly the same TV and it is a great set.

As above another Panny at your budget would be the best bet. Maybe wait a couple of months and see what the prices will be like on the full HD Pannys.

If you can stretch to it I would recommend you grab a Pioneeer PDP-LX5090 this week before they shoot up by 30% :D
Somehow I recognise that username detailing world perhaps:smashin:

Last edited:

pwood

Well if your looking for a bargain...here's one that hard to beat @ £799 with a 3year warranty included.

Panasonic TX-P50X10B Large Plasma Television Screen - Digital Direct
Nice price but at 50" and the 3.5m distance I sit I think I'll go with a 1080 screen just so I won't do the "I wish I had...." thing a few months down the line.

Certainly the price rise thing is a thing to consider but as they have saw fit to put screens at those prices they would be foolish to think folks will pay a lot more in the current climate.

ahaydock

Somehow I recognise that username detailing world perhaps:smashin:
Yup thats me - I have been known to frequent DW on occasion :rolleyes:

So have you decided yet? What about 2nd hand - I just sold my Panny 50PX60 for £500.

pwood

Not yet. Its for my birthday in May but I tend to research a fair bit as I love the Quest. I am going to wait and see what the new Panasonics come in at. I wont have to sell my screen as its being passed on to relative.

ahaydock

I've just had a mate round who works for Panny and says he was not impressed by the G10 range, so maybe the V10 will be the one to go for.

Its a shame its may as if you could get one now the Pioneer 5090 is an amazing TV and a bargain but an approx 30% price increase is imminent.

pwood

Kinda reluctant to spend 1700 on a TV given my experience with the PV500 in that the price dropped so fast its was alarming. Still never say never :rolleyes:

Thanks

P

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom