Question 50" upgrade options

User132

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm looking to replace a pretty old Samsung 40" LE40A756R1M, mainly to get a larger TV rather than due to any specific shortcomings. I've read a lot of the great advice on these forums which has helped to pull together the info below, but I'm struggling to narrow down to some final options so could do with a bit of advice please.

Size: Absolute max size of 50" due to the corner it's in and the stand it's on. Would consider 49" too but ideally no smaller.

Content: Mostly streaming (Netflix, Amazon and Disney) all via a very good broadband speed. Some DVDs, plus recorded Freeview content where quality is less of an issue. Occasional gaming currently on PS3/Switch but may potentially upgrade to a newer PS3/Xbox console in the next few years.​
Usage conditions: It's in a well-lit lounge so everything from daytime viewing to lights-out movies.
Sound: Everything is currently going through a Sony STR-DH810 amp and we'd intend to keep using that, so won't be using the TV's built-in sound.​
Panel type: Open to advice but after looking at the pixel structure of my current TV with a magnifier and comparing to some online referneces, I'm pretty sure it's S-PVA. It also exhibits the "flash" if the screen is tapped. We've been happy with the colours, contrast and viewing angles in the current set-up but have no other reference point. It doesn't seem easy to determine the panel type of new TVs!​
Price: Pretty flexible. TVs in this screen size seem to be clustered around £400, £700 and then a few that go well above this like the Samsung QLEDs. We don't mind stretching towards the top end if there's genuine upside from doing so but don't want to spend unnecessarily.​
Other features: Alexa/Google integration would be useful. Freeview recording would let us get rid of an old Humax STB. Neither are essential though if it means compromising on the TV.​

The main questions we're grappling with:

1. Based on our content, usage, etc., what are the specific features we should be looking out for (or things to avoid)?​
2. What exactly would we gain from going to the mid- or top-end price points vs. those in the £400 section? This seems to be made harder by the plethora of terminology across brands and seemingly odd pricing, presumably due to previous vs. current year models, etc.​
For example: Richer Sounds have the 49" Samsung QE49Q80T topping out at £1300 (albeit with £250 cashback). The 50" QE50Q60T is only £899 but I can't see a lot of difference in the specs to warrant the differential. They're both considerably more than others but is the difference worth it at this size?​
3. What would your shortlisted recommendations be and why?​

Thanks in advance! Happy to provide more info if needed.

User132

Novice Member
After a lot more reading I'm leaning towards the Sony 49XG9005 which is currently around £800. Are there any reasons to avoid this and consider an alternative based on the info in my first post?

The main challenges I seem to have read about it are:

1. Some HDR blooming, but it appears that this is to be expected.
2. Lack of gaming features, but I'm not eactly sure what this is referring to.

Dodgexander

After a lot more reading I'm leaning towards the Sony 49XG9005 which is currently around £800. Are there any reasons to avoid this and consider an alternative based on the info in my first post?

The main challenges I seem to have read about it are:

1. Some HDR blooming, but it appears that this is to be expected.
2. Lack of gaming features, but I'm not eactly sure what this is referring to.
Seems like you have already come to the correct conclusion. there's no better value TV at this size. The next best would be the new XH9505 but its very expensive having just been released.

The biggest restriction when shopping for a TV for you will be size, with manufacturers not releasing higher range models larger than 50" nowadays, that leaves the Sony you found by far the best option. With only Sony now releasing TVs of this quality sub 55" now.

User132

Novice Member
Thanks @Dodgexander. I know that you can't really compare properly in a retail showroom, but we did a viewing yesterday afternoon and it looked head and shoulders above some of the other similarly sized units (and a lot of the larger ones too).

I took the plunge and have it all set up at home now. Even with the out of the box config it's looking really impressive.

Really appreciate the time that you and others put into sharing knowledge on this site to help people like me make an educated choice!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom