50" tv recommendations

Headbangerdaz

Established Member
Reaction score
So,it looks like I'm in need of a replacement for my Philips 6272.
My requirements are pretty simple
49 or 50" screen
Good motion performance .....the Philips had an issue with blur when watching football sometimes.
Matt or satin screen.....due to location of window and reflections a gloss screen is a deal breaker.
£500 max budget.
I did like the ambilight of the Philips but I'm not keen on another Philips seeing as it's only lasted 2 years although I do intend to go for an extended warranty this time.
Any suggestions ?

Could you give the exact model number and size of your Philips TV? It should be something like 43PUS6272 depending on the size.

Matt or satin screen
Most screens are semi gloss now, but whether the screen is gloss or not has little to do with how it performs with reflections. What matters more is the panel technology used, or in the case of more expensive TVs, how bright they can get, and how good its anti reflection filter is.

I'd consider searching for a 49XG9005 refurbished here: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread. This TV can get very bright and should never give you an issue with reflections.

If you don't want to buy refurbished then you'll have to make a sacrifice somewhere. You can either go with worse reflections and better motion with the Sony XG83xx series (if you can still find one) or go with one of their cheaper XG70/XG80 TVs and get slightly better reflection handling than the XG83, but worse motion. Motion blur will be decent, but not outstanding on these models.

Sony models with XG in their model number are 2019 models. Whilst models with XH are 2020.

If you can't find 2019 models, well that is going to make your task even harder right now. I'd suggest against buying a 2020 TV at all until prices come down. The best time to purchase a TV is spring the following year after TVs are released. Given TVs have only just been released that would be spring 2021 now. If you can't wait that long, Black Friday is definitely going to be better than buying a 2020 model right now. Having just been released, 2020 models are too expensive to presently recommend.

Last edited:
It's a 50pus6272.
Regarding the screen reflection I can only go off my previous LG which had a gloss screen like a mirror and had horrendous reflection issues whereas the Philips has more of a satin finish with no reflection issues.On the other hand the LG handled motion much better than the Philips.
I'll take a look at the models you suggest, thank you

Regarding the screen reflection I can only go off my previous LG which had a gloss screen like a mirror and had horrendous reflection issues whereas the Philips has more of a satin finish with no reflection issues.On the other hand the LG handled motion much better than the Philips.
Years back TVs tended to be either gloss or matte. Today 99% TVs are semi gloss. There are some Panasonic's that are fully gloss that you may want to avoid, but I don't think there are any TVs that are fully matte, including your current Philips which is also semi-gloss. But semi gloss is just a mix of gloss and matte. Point is, you can get semi gloss screens that are good and bad with reflections :)

I actually made a mistake typing in my last reply which I have since corrected. I hope it makes more sense now since I doubled up incorrectly with some model numbers.

"If you can't find 2019 models, well that is going to make your task even harder right now. I'd suggest against buying a 2020 TV at all until prices come down. The best time to purchase a TV is spring the following year after TVs are released. Given TVs have only just been released that would be spring 2021 now. If you can't wait that long, Black Friday is definitely going to be better than buying a 2020 model right now. Having just been released, 2020 models are too expensive to presently recommend."

I don't think I can wait, I'm currently watching on a 32" Evesham set that was my 1st foray into flat screen tvs.Must be at least 15 years old....and it's horrendous :)

If you can't wait, either for refurb deals or for 2020 models to come down in price then try to pick up a Sony XG70 or XG80 series. They should be close to your budget.

The 2020 equivalents are currently selling for almost £200 more.

Just reading some of the reviews and someone mentioned this tv has bad screen reflections so that counts it out for me

You'll need to spend more money or look at a refurb XG9005 if you want better reflection handling. Cheaper TVs don't really get that bright.

You could go with LG 49" models instead that may fair a little better with reflections than Sony, but they still only get so bright. There are also only overpriced 2020 models available now. Look at the UN range.

But these models are going to be a lot better than 50" TVs like your Philips (including 50" LGs) that uses a VA type panel matrix and copes worse with reflections naturally.

Its all relative though, for most people cheaper TVs will be more than bright enough and cope fine with reflections. They are still probably twice as bright as most TVs of old, and roughly 4x brighter than Plasma TVs. Reading a review that states its reflective doesn't really tell you it will be reflective to you, it could be comparing it to much higher end TVs.

Here's a good comparison:

I'm just looking at the Hisense U7QF, what's your opinion of that ?
I saw an unboxing video of the roku Hisense that Argos sell and noticed the screen reflection when off looked similar to my Philips so was wondering if all the Hisense panels would be similar.

Hisense use VA panels and don't carry good anti reflective filters, it makes them pretty bad with reflections. The U7Q can get quite bright which may help in brighter conditions, but it won't be great with reflections.

Cheapest you can find TVs with good anti reflection performance is LGs UN series.

A step up from that is the Sony 49XG9005.

You'd need to step up to a 55" and the Samsung Q85T to get the very best anti glare.

Its all about compromise though, which is why my initial suggestion was the XG80 Sony. Its a good mix of decent motion, reflections and price.

I don't have the space to go over 50 "
Then you can't get the very best TVs with reflections. Those are exclusive to 55" and up now. 49" best you'll find is the 2019 Sony 49XG9005 or 2020 49XH9505.

If those are out of budget. LGs UN series such as UN7300.

If you want a mix of good motion and reflections. Sony XG80xx

Hello, I would like to get myself a new TV, so I wanted to ask you some tips. I would mainly use the TV for Netflix and Prime, and good picture quality is very important to me. Thank you for your help in advance. LG

Last edited by a moderator:
The Samsung QE50Q60T,reviews by tech websites and customers suggest this is particularly good at handling glare and reflections which I've come to the conclusion is my no.1 priority,after all no tv is going to be any good if all I can see is the vertical blinds reflecting in it lol.
Above my initial budget but I'm seriously tempted.
Oh and Richer Sounds stock it so I'll get a 6 year warranty which is also very important to me

Hello, I would like to get myself a new TV, so I wanted to ask you some tips. I would mainly use the TV for Netflix and Prime, and good picture quality is very important to me. Thank you for your help in advance. LG
Your usage is the same as 99% of people shopping for a TV. I'd suggest starting your search here:

If there's no availability of 2019 models, best wait to purchase at a later time because 2020 models are too overpriced presently.

On another note, I had to delete a few of your other posts. The forum rules allow for posts in English only please.
The Samsung QE50Q60T,reviews by tech websites and customers suggest this is particularly good at handling glare and reflections which I've come to the conclusion is my no.1 priority,after all no tv is going to be any good if all I can see is the vertical blinds reflecting in it lol.
Above my initial budget but I'm seriously tempted.
Oh and Richer Sounds stock it so I'll get a 6 year warranty which is also very important to me
Its worse with reflections than both LG and Sony TVs mentioned previously, see: LG UM7300 vs Samsung Q60T QLED Side-by-Side TV Comparison

First Samsung TV good with reflections now is the Q85T in Europe.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom