+50" TV for Xmas Budget upto £1000ish

nyck

At the moment we have a Panasonic 50" plasma TX-50X10B around 10-11 years old .Im still happy with it but we have the odd issue with it ie:may lose one of the colours once or twice a year ( just turn off and on and its ok again )and some of the Netflix series ( american male voices ) sound tinny
Theres nothing me or my wife really need for Christmas so thought maybe put the money towards a new/Refurb TV , Especially as my daughter bought a Panasonic TX-55HZ980B and it looks really nice and shes still pleased with it a year on.

She paid around £1600 a year ago but ive seen a refurb for £800 from Panasonic
Are there any other suggestions around the £1000 50-55" ish , Im a bit confussed what i need OLED,QLED ,HDR , 4K etc

Main TV for the front room .... Normal TV ,Netflix,Amazon,Disney via Virgin Box or Fire Stick ,,,No Gaming

thanks

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Not anything that can compete with that refurb deal, no.

Similar OLEDs new will be models like the LG CX, Philips OLED705 and Sony A8H from 2020 lines. From 2021 lines all the OLEDs will be more expensive.

If you're very lucky and can get a good deal you may find some 2021 models creep near to 1k new come black friday though.

nyck

Not anything that can compete with that refurb deal, no.

Similar OLEDs new will be models like the LG CX, Philips OLED705 and Sony A8H from 2020 lines. From 2021 lines all the OLEDs will be more expensive.

If you're very lucky and can get a good deal you may find some 2021 models creep near to 1k new come black friday though.
How does this compare to the Refurb Panasonic i mention
Philips 55OLED706 there's £420 off brings it to £980 , obviously its new and the 6 year warranty

nyck

Ive kind off narrowed it down to my original choice
Panasonic TX-55HZ980B refurb by Panasonic now £775
or
LG OLED55C14LB Open Box £980

Im swayed to the Panasonic
1) The price
2) Very few issuses with my previous Panasonic
3) My daughter has the TX-55HZ980B with no issues
4)The price

My only slight concern is reading the Panasonic panel is 50 or 60Hz not 100Hz as advertised. Some reports of flicker/stuttering if you know what you are looking for . But 99% of the reviews are A+

nyck

Pulled the trigger
Decided to go a larger 65"
It was between TX-65HZ980B £1299 or TX-65JZ980B £1489 not sure on the difference between the HZ and JZ apart from year of manufacture ??
Went for the TX-65JZ980B , It came with a Panasonic SC-HTB400EBK sound bar so kind of made them roughly the same price

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom