50 today...

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm 50 today.

How did any of you who've reached this age celebrate, if at all?

Did you make any changes to your life or just carry on as normal?

It's certainly made me reflect alot on life... the past, present and future.

I always find it incredible that, no matter how hard you try, you can't help but be affected by these societal constructs of 'milestone' birthdays.

Nothing much planned throughout the day. Having a low key meal with close family and friends tonight.

Then it's a one way ticket to Dignitas... :D

Just another day for me though if I knew what was to come I would have undoubtedly made changes in my lifestyle, but hindsight is great and there is nothing you can do about the past.

I had a big holiday with loads of "bucket list" things. Was amazing, but then I had to come back to reality :suicide:
Was just over 18 months ago, but it feels like it was a lot longer.

Happy Birthday.

Mine is in about 6 weeks and to be honest, I am not looking forward to it and doing my best to ignore it. It feels a bit wrong, like how the hell can I be fifty? I demand a recount. People keep asking me what I want to do for my 50th and I don't really feel like marking the occasion in any way so I am keeping my head firmly planted in the sand, maybe if I refuse to acknowledge it I can stay in my 40's?

Happy Birthday, I turned 47 on Wednesday, every birthday from now on is a milestone.

Happy Birthday.

Mine is in about 6 weeks and to be honest, I am not looking forward to it and doing my best to ignore it. It feels a bit wrong, like how the hell can I be fifty? I demand a recount. People keep asking me what I want to do for my 50th and I don't really feel like marking the occasion in any way so I am keeping my head firmly planted in the sand, maybe if I refuse to acknowledge it I can stay in my 40's?

This is exactly how I was feeling up until about a month ago. Then somebody said "if you invite people to a meal... they will bring presents."

Meal was booked that day... :clap:

I didn't mind turning 30 or 40 but I hated turning 50, for about 3 months I was really messed up in my head. Then I thought I can't go on like this and decided to live my life, and realized many people in this world don't even get to have a 50th birthday. 8 years on I have a beautiful wife, I don't have to work and am able to pretty much do exactly what I want. Writing this from Marbella!! People say you only live once, wrong, you only die once, you live every day!:lesson:

I’ve been at work for most of my birthdays, and my 50th was no exception - never bother telling the crew, I don’t want a fuss.

My wife’s and sons birthdays matter more to me than my own.

It becomes more meaningful, as you have more birthdays and you start realising you have less time left on this planet. If I’m lucky, I might have another twenty years left. I can think back twenty years ago, and recall what I was doing; seems like 5 minutes ago :eek:

I don't like to do much for my birthdays but enjoy others more.
I'll be 42 in two days, my beloved is taking me to Majorca for the week, tomorrow! She is pretty awesome!

Happy Birthday.

I'm surprised you can remember how old you are. When people ask my age I have to think about it a bit. Seems I'm 46, but I had to get my fingers out to count. :confused:

This I spent most of last year thinking I’m 48 turns out I’m not until this June :)

Happy birthday!

When I turned 50 we had a trip to Edinburgh booked. We had to cancel it as I was ill. We eventually took the trip last summer but I was still suffering from our RTC, so I spent most of my time sitting in coffee shops, crashed out on the hotel bed or hobbling to Fopp.

I always take my birthday as holiday, never worked it in my life (now 45). Always go out and have some (a lot) of beers and a meal with both wife and then with friends. It is depressing how quickly time shoots by now and that I have less years infront of me than behind

Happy birthday :beer: enjoy

You got a funny - because I have just seen the grim reaper wishing someone a ‘Happy Birthday’ and telling him to enjoy it (with a beer). Is this because it’s his last?:eek: I do hope not!

Last edited:
I always take my birthday as holiday, never worked it in my life (now 45). Always go out and have some (a lot) of beers and a meal with both wife and then with friends. It is depressing how quickly time shoots by now and that I have less years infront of me than behind

Likely, but not necessarily. My next door neighbour is 94, and still regales us with his tales of being the Navigator of his Lancaster over Germany - where the only time he actually got to see Germany was whenever his aircraft was hit by flak, making holes in the fuselage that he could then see through - the rest of his time was poring over his charts plotting fixes. If he can make it, with his daily intake of wine....

If I can get to 90 with a quality of life will be pleasantly surprised, lost my mum suddenly last year at age 65 (2 days after my birthday:() and my dad (69) has had 2 heart attacks but gets around ok.

I play a lot of sport and the day my body cant compete anymore will be the worst.

I don't like to do much for my birthdays but enjoy others more.
I'll be 42 in two days, my beloved is taking me to Majorca for the week, tomorrow! She is pretty awesome!
Took wifey to Marjorca for her 40th. Was lovely without the kids buzzing about in a convertible Mini Cooper.

happy birthday :)

I've never had any birthday parties at all... nothing as a kid, no 18th, 21st, 40th or sweet fa... :(

think my lady will do something for my 50th (next year) - but no party, just a holiday...

happy birthday :)

I've never had any birthday parties at all... nothing as a kid, no 18th, 21st, 40th or sweet fa... :(

think my lady will do something for my 50th (next year) - but no party, just a holiday...
Awwww maybe we should arrange a party for you. I like arranging it more for others than for myself. It will be fun :)

Happy birthday

Fiftieth was just another day nothing special. It was my sixtieth that was a landmark, it was the day I retired after 44 years man and boy in the MoD.

It was strange to start with not going to work. But I have managed to do things which I didn’t have time to do while working. Chiefly painting the outside of the house and window frames.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom