• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

50" to big for "HD Ready"?

imist

Standard Member
Hi,

I was thinking of buying the Panasonic TX-P50X50B 50" today as my current LG is old and well, pants to be honest.

I have read good things about this TV but note that it is 1042x768 resolution.

My current LG is the same resolution but is 42"

My primary use for the TV will be light viewing in the evenings of standard def content and the occasional HD broadcast from the few HD channels i get from my Virgin Media package.

I also intend to do a fair bit of gaming with this TV via my PS3 and note it's good response times and smooth motion clarity, and as a large majority of games run in 720p mode i think that the lack of full HD should not be a problem.

However i could be completely wrong which why i'm asking your advice.

In your opinion is a 50" screen to large for only HD ready? will games be upscaled to fill the screen and look ugly without a full 1920x1080 resolution?

Has anyone got any experience using this TV with gaming or have any thoughts on it in general?

There is a 42" version available, would i be better going for that instead?

It's mainly the screen size vs the resolution that concerns me the most.

Thanks.

albsky

For me don't go for it.
Pixels are too big not to notice. If you stand far away you wouldn't notice the pixels, but then the screen becomes small.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
All down to seating distance and your eyesight.
I gamed on a 42" PX80 and it was fine, but I was about 8ft away. At 50" Id need to be over 10ft away. Then again if the set is for mainly SD then a HD ready set may be better....again though depends on distance.

imist

Standard Member
I see, i would be sitting about 6ft to 7ft away so perhaps a 42" model is preferable to a 50"

That's a result as it's £100 cheaper..

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Yes too big IMO Im about the same from my 51" set and if it was HDready I think Id notice. There is also the issue of seeing artifacts or things like dither at this distance, when I move I'll be about 8ft away again.

imist

Standard Member
Am i correct in thinking that a seating distance of 6 to 7 feet is more acceptable albeit not ideal with a full 1920x1080 resolution set of 50"

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
The pixels will be smaller so yes the bigger the set the more pixels you want if sitting close, at a distance they eye tends to not see the difference. 50" is too big at that distance no matter what res really, gaming can be fun and bluray fine, but its not ideal as you will see the slightest issue. Id recommend about 8ft + for a 50" for SD viewing if not further.

imist

Standard Member
Ok, 42" it is as i have a small lounge and want the optimal viewing for the space afforded to me.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

On a side note, i think i will buy a 42" ST50B, those sets seem really good in every respect.

ridin8ude

Standard Member
I've been living with a 50" 8G Kuro for 5 years which is 'only' HD ready.
I've sat between 8-12 feet away after various seating changes and never had an issue 'noticing' pixels even with crappy SD content...

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I've sat between 8-12 feet away after various seating changes and never had an issue 'noticing' pixels even with crappy SD content...

OP states 6-7ft.;)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Ok, 42" it is as i have a small lounge and want the optimal viewing for the space afforded to me.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

On a side note, i think i will buy a 42" ST50B, those sets seem really good in every respect.

Yes good set and very cheap now if you can get one.

Bumtious

Banned

Precisely, at 50" 7ft or more you will struggle to see difference.

720p is fine at those distances for that size.

imist

Standard Member
I got a 50" ST50 in the end..

My expected seating distance will be 8 to 9 feet..is this too little for watching HD movies and gaming?

Fano

I got a 50" ST50 in the end..

My expected seating distance will be 8 to 9 feet..is this too little for watching HD movies and gaming?
No certainly not ,you can sit very close for HD sources,4-5 feet is even fine.
I sit 8-9 feet away from my 50" ST50,its perfect,even sd tv looks decent .
When you get the set initially it looks huge but after a few weeks you get used to it .;)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
No certainly not ,you can sit very close for HD sources,4-5 feet is even fine.
I sit 8-9 feet away from my 50" ST50,its perfect,even sd tv looks decent .
When you get the set initially it looks huge but after a few weeks you get used to it .;)

Though you can see dithering at 5-6ft.;)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Cant say I notice dithering that much on my set ,Scooby, mvbi is its main flaw.

Yeah its not a flaw, I sit about the same distance from my 51" D6900 and see dither if closer than 6ft.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom