1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50" Sammy or 45" Sagem?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by reddux, Mar 22, 2005.

1. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all, have my choice narrowed down to either the Sammy 50" or Sagem HD-D45. My budget was £2k, Sagem is £1995 from JL with 5 yr gaurentee (stand is another £300 but there is cheaper £79.95 alternative ) and Costco are selling the Sammys at £2232 so could just about stretch to buying either :D .

What I've learnt so far (mainly from reading here :thumbsup: )...

I have only seen the HD-D45 with HD demo and was extremely impressed with PQ, Didn't initially notice 'frosty' screen but the issues with the Sagem would most likely stand out after a week or two's ownership along with the recently highlighted bad PQ of faces issue. I love the looks of this set also.

I haven't seen the Sammy yet (Will try and view one in the next couple of days), although from pics of it I'm not fond of the looks at all, don't think it will really fit in with the look of our lounge but then again have to see it up close first. Would also be interested to know of the supposed issue with viewing 1280 x 720 through HTPC as will be possibly using this in the future? and if viewing angle of this set is worse than the Sagem?

I will only be using Sky, PS2 & DVD (plan on getting the Denon 500SD in a couple months too)

Has anyone already chose one over the other for any particular reason? I have to make my mind up very soon. Are there any big differences/advantages with either set and anyone expect big price drops in the near future?

OR...

Should I buy a cheaper 36" CRT and save my money untill there's a better choice, more reliable & cheaper DLP sets available :( Hmmmm :confused:

[sorry for long post :boring:]

Thanks In Advance

2. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I got my HD-D45 last Saturday, I personally think the picture quality is fantastic (throug component prog scan and also using a Pace twin digital freeview box) also the set looks great. The two problems I have are:
    A loud high pitched whistle from the power supply board & the DVI input doesn't work with my Pioneer DV868AVi. This is rather annoying as I bought this set due to the dv input. Comet sent an engineer out yesterday to look at it and he agrees it isn't right. I have to wait for their response before doing anything but will try to get them to replace with another HD45. There do seem to be a lot of people getrting rid of this set due to problems so you may be better off with the Samsung. That said I have owned a couple of Samsung products before and they were not the best for build quality or reliability.

AVnut70

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The DVI input on the HD-D45 is HDCP enabled and may not work with devices that don't also have HDCP compatible outputs.

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    neil the Pioneer DV868AVi has got HDMI which has got HDCP so should work with a HDMI to DVI adapter. The Pioneer DV868AVi would not work on the older Sagem through the DVI input which has not got a HDCP enabled DVI
    Any DVD player should work with the Sagem 45 unless the DVD disc had HDCP on it & the DVD player used did not have a HDCP enabled output.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sorry Steve, didn't know that the Pioneer had a HDMI output. Do you know what version of HDMI it is?. The reason I ask is that there's been some suggestion that HDMI ver1.0 devices may not work with the latest HDCP enabled DVI devices even though they're both HDCP compliant.

6. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36

I am thinking of selling the Pioneer and buying a Denon 3910 which has both DVI & HDMI outputs, even the 3 hifi dealers I visited this morning seem to know nothing about DVI etc. Perhaps I'll take up golf instead :)