1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50" plus plasma's recent purchase?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rich1231, Dec 1, 2004.

1. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    any of you guys recentl purchased a 50 or 55" plasma?
    If so what was it and what are your opinions of them?

Cheers

Rich

2. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Have had a Pioneer 504 HDE for about a month now - got a good deal on it due to the newer models arrival - everyone that's seen it agrees how awesome the picture looks - even Sky looked alot better than I was expecting.Via HDMI or component on the 868 DVD - breathtaking!!

3. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Any owners of other models want to chip in?

Cheers

Rich

4. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I bought an Hitachi 55PMA550E (55") last week and a friend helped me get it onto the wallmount a few days ago. I haven't managed to spend a lot of time with it since, but what I can say is that the good reviews that it has received recently, are justified. BTW, I don't usually take reviews as much more than just a guide.

I received a Pioneer 868 yesterday but my initial impression is that there isn't a great improvement over my old Sony 735 when both are used over component. I am waiting for a HDMI - DVI lead to arrive and hopefully that will justify the money that I spent on the 868. Images from my Sky receiver were certainly better than I expected.

The Hitachi 55" hasn't had many comments on this forum, certainly not positive ones, but it is quite well spoken of on AVS Forum in the US. The screen uses the same e-ALIS panel that the Fujitsu 55" uses, but the reviews in the UK seem to favour the Hitachi. The main reason that I went for the Hitachi over the Fujitsu was the DVI input. Many UK websites quote the Fujitsu as having DVI, but Fujitsu themselves say that it hasn't in the UK.

Prior to deciding on an Hitachi 55", I did look at the Fujitsu, Pioneer and Panasonic 50" models. When I finally saw a 50" Fujitsu next to a 55" Fujitsu, the size difference was enough for me. The 50" Fujitsu, I believe, uses a Panasonic panel (possibly not the latest version) and I would have expected that the image quality on the 50" would be far superior to the 55". It wasn't. The 50" was just appeared a little brighter to me. I'm certainly no expert in these matters but my eyesight is reasonable!

I'm sure there may be some out there who will say the Hitachi is the wrong choice, but up to now I am very happy with it - apart from one dead pixel!

So, my intial impressions are very favouable. With the addition of the digital output of the Pioneer 868 and a little time for the Hitachi to settle in, it could even be a little better.

BTW, does anyone know if a scaler would help much on this setup?

Steve.

5. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Got a panasonic 50HD7 at the weekend, am very pleased with it, but even with a scaler a screen that size does show up the low bit rates on some of the sky channels.

Watching a DVD though is much more enjoyable than my little 32" Sony CRT.

6. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had the Viera 50inch for about 3 months now. Does the job with no hassle. Great picture. Really pleased.

7. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    laura where did you get your hd7 from and how much??

did they also have any 42" hd7's?????

8. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Bought it from Joe at The Media factory. Was just a smidge over £4000 , would have been slightly cheaper from AV-Sales, but then Joe actually delivered, installed and set it up.