Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

50" Plasms for under 2k!?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by 3ill, Oct 15, 2004.

1. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm...never heard of them?

3. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unlike most dodgy sites, they do have a phone number and an address.

But a quick google search only finds their site (no links from anywhere else) which seems suspicious....

I'm tempted to call them and say I'll pay on collection. Whaddya reckon?

Chris

Edited to say:

They accept PayPal, so would I be protected if I ordered on my credit card?

4. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, but they want cash for a collection? worth a try, although i suspect that with all offers that are too good to be true...thats exactly what they are!!

5. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried calling but was busy, even tried adding them to my MSM but I guess they are not online..

I don’t know if anyone spotted it yet but if you click on the first 50" plasma the detailed description actually says its 42".. typo?

UPDATE:

Just spoke to Paul (I presume he is one of the guys who runs the site) and he confirmed with me that they are actually Panasonic plasma's and he will email me the actual model numbers. He said that they sold 60 of the 50" units this week and are all sold out but getting 60 more in next week..

I asked if the one year warranty was from Panasonic or from them, turns out the warranty is NOT from Panasonic but with the website it self :rolleyes: although, for what its worth, he did mention that they are trying to sort something out the manufacturers with regards to an 'official' warranty.

6. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That's a 50 inch Viera they are showing. Just bought one of these. Couldn't find a price anywhere for below £4,000. It can't be genuine (or legal)?

7. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Dodgy as hell.

Ther site says:
    So I looked them up at Companies House (http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk) and they don't exist!

I rang up the number and asked about what stock they have, and they were very helpful until I mentioned the possibility of collection. All of a sudden hew then started claiming they didn't actually have any in stock right now, but would be getting some in 10 days time....by which time they will have taken lots of people's online orders and disappeared without trace!

Beware.....

8. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi All,

this one looked really good

42 incher with HDMI!!!!

but then look at the specs - says it is NTSC :eek: only - no mention of PAL so not much use as a television

But even so - could be worth clarifying that with them :smashin:

Cheers

Lawrenso

Ignore above - others have added before this post :blush:

9. OnebetterBuycom

OnebetterBuycom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SITE YET. i have panasonic looking into who they are. knowing the cost price of panny products, and even allowing for german import prices, these prices cannot be acheived!!

10. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi All,

just done a quick check and they are hosted out of the US (www.ev1servers.net) - Definately looking dodgy

Lawrenso

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Photos are panny kit.... (US panny kit) these are either a scam or Dodgy US imports I know stuff is cheaper over the pond but............ unless the are couriered to your dorr with a £1k importduty bill, then it would make sense...

12. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Here's the latest.. the conversation I had with them on MSM...

3ill says:
    hi, would it be possible for you to email me the actual panasonic model numbers for your plasma tv's?
    SHARF - www.SharfWorld.com says:
    yeh i can give them to u over msn if you want
    3ill says:
    sure, thats fine
    PTV3701 TH-37PWD6UY
    PTV4201 TH-42PWD6UY
    PTV4202 TH-42PHD6UY
    PTV5001 TH-50PHD6UY
    PTV3702 TH-37PA20U/P
    PTV4203 TH-42PA20U/P
    PTV4204 TH-42PX20U/P
    PTV5002 TH-50PX20U/P

3ill says:
    Thanks, would it be possible to pick up a plasma from your offices?
    you can pick one up however we are currently out of stock. we had 60 tv's at the start of this week and have sold all of them since. we are expecting another batch in within 10 working days
    3ill says:
    ok, so once you have them in stock i presume it would be fine to pick up from your office, do you accept credit cards?
    we currently only accept credit cards through paypal as we have only just started up and are waiting for our BACS system to be set up
    3ill says:
    ok, would it be possible for me to pay you via paypal when i come to your offices? the only reason why i ask is that i have heard some bad stories of other companies (not trying to suggest you are bad or anything) but I just need to cover my back if you know what I mean..
    yeh that is fine
    we will let you know as soon as we have our next batch in
    where abouts will you be coming from
    3ill says:
    the anglia region
    ok not to far then
    3ill says:
    yup
    3ill says:
    great, incidentlly, how come you dont show the actual model numbers on your site?
    we have just change them round for easier refernce for ourselves
    we will be putting the actual model numbers on soon as we have a lot of people asking for the actual ones
    3ill says:
    gotcha.. thanks. you've been very helpfull.
    your welcome

I still cant help thinking that if something is too good to be true.. then it usually is..

13. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also enquired about these as the 50" prices are fantastic. Here's the reply I got in realtion to my query on the PTV5002 50" HDTV PLASMA TELEVISION

"Hi, This model has a PAL tuner. the specification on the site is a american
    spec only because we have not received our UK specs yet. The pansonic model
    numbers for the TV's are

PTV3701 TH-37PWD6UY
    PTV4201 TH-42PWD6UY
    PTV4202 TH-42PHD6UY
    PTV5001 TH-50PHD6UY
    PTV3702 TH-37PA20U/P
    PTV4203 TH-42PA20U/P
    PTV4204 TH-42PX20U/P
    PTV5002 TH-50PX20U/P"

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Those model numbers are Panasonic USA model numbers like i said US imports.

15. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say you're correct. I think I can live with an NTSC tuner for a 50" plasma though!

Of course this is assuming they're legit. RRP for the 50" is US$9k

16. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so is anyone going to risk it...if they have the units in the uk ready for collection then they would be liable for the import duty? yes or have i got that wrong?

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I am struggling to get my head around the fact that they can buy in US ship to UK and PAY duty and still sell them stupidly cheap there were a load of German 50" Samsungs going cheap in UK a month ago but screen never materliased. I would suggest you ignore the TV units and go for panels as large parts of The TV units will be useless or next to useless. Also check PSU will accept UK mains

18. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If these were direct imports from the US then yes, import duty would be levied on them (I'm no expert in this field.. just based that on my experience). BUT, my latest conversation with them makes me believe these are not from the US..

Here it is..

3ill says:
    sorry, another question, i did a search on the model numbers and i presume these are imported from the USA, will these be able to run from UK voltage or will a transformer have to be purchased to covert 240 to 110?
    The TV's that we get are all able to run in the UK on our voltage. They also come with a built in PAL tuner not a NTSC
    3ill says:
    oh ok, thanks

I looked on the Panasonic website (US) and the 50PHD6UY only supports voltage of 110.

19. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i'd go down, for 2k, test the screen and pay my money? but i doubt anything will come of this other than a trip out of my local area

20. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here.. Apparently the guy is going to reserve one for me; I'll see how it goes. I'm not going to hold my breath on this though.

21. OnebetterBuycom

OnebetterBuycom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just spoke with my panasonic rep who makes a very valid point to the people considering taking the risk, panasonic offer a european gtee (which isnt as good as the uk gtee) but if anything goes wrong with a us model ur on ur own as far as panasonic go. something worth considering :)

22. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just shooting in the dark here, but would there be any third party company where one can purchase a warranty from? Also, would home insurance be any help if the plasma failed?

23. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I think most home insurance policys are for accidental damage.. so if your plasma just stopped working it wouldnt be covered. However, if it were to have a little 'accident' then Im presuming you will get a replacement. As long as you have your receipts etc. :devil:

Better check your policy to make sure you are covered for accidental dmg and what the limit is. I think I can claim anything upto £5k for a single item in any one claim.

24. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    3ill, Beck is correct that if you accidentally damage your plasma(it falls off the wall etc), provided you have new for old contents insurance they will replace it (conditional upon the plasma not exceeding your single loss limit). If you want a third party warranty use TADL via AV Sales website. You can buy an an additional 3 year warranty (on top of the manufacturers warranty so 4 years) for £279 and you don't have to buy your plasma from them.

Check out AV-Sales.com Warranties

25. OnebetterBuycom

OnebetterBuycom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    being a service center for panasonic as well there are few issues u would have to be careful of. alot of companies are selling extended warranties on products which cannot be covered. if u buy a us plasma and something fails, even with an extended warranty, provided by a third party, the screen cannot be fixed by anyone except panasonic at this time. plasma lcd and recordable dvd are ONLY fixed by panasonic. so ur best case senario would be ur screen fails, u ring extended warranty company, they say ok no problem we'll fix it, they send it to panasonic, who send it back saying its not a uk model :( sorry. this situation has already occurred on numerous occasions, nationally and to me personally.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Sorry but that is rubbish the company i used to work for repaired DVD recorders (panasonics) And can repair a PW5 or 6 and have staff trined 2 (cost you alot of money mind but they can do it)................. While it is a risk... I am sure the TADL warranty cover as sold by AV-sales is fine... You can just phone Barron McCann and get a repair......... They will rub their hands.... Whether TADL will cover none UK screens is up to them, they also offer cover after 12 months manufacturer what they would charge for full cover from day 1 i can't say.

27. OnebetterBuycom

OnebetterBuycom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would never agrue with a customer but be interested to know who it was that u worked for. purely as my engineers are capable and indeed have fixed some of these products, but in warranty u cant even put in a claim for payment from panasonic for the in gtee repair, and in or out of gtee one cant even order spares specific to these products. repairs not involving spares specific to these could of course be carried out by anyone who knew enough about it. and i have to stress again this was advice from my panasonic rep who one would assume knew what he was talking about? hope i didnt offend by replying :)

28. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi , FYI...

I also enquired ...got this message from Paul Brown -my original message below it...

Incidently, there seems to be another company selling 50" panasonics at £1800 on ebay today - based in Huntingdon. Curiously , their other listings on ebay also include motorbikes etc too!

The Messages:

Currently we can only accept credit card payments through our website. You
    are more than welcome to collect if paying by another means.

Regards,

Paul Brown - SHARF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit our Web Site - http://www.SharfWorld.com

Chat to us on MSN - Simply add chat@sharfworld.com to your contact list!

----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 5:33 PM

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am interested in the Panasonic 50"HDTV (viera model) Can I collect and
    pay via credit card?
    Kind Regards

Mr Pahl

29. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A company of this sort that can only accept CC payments via PayPal?

Personally I would run a mile.

Your credit card company may or may not reimburse you if the deal goes sour (the transaction may be deemed to be an "overseas" one in which case to my knowledge, the consumer credit act may not automatically make them liable if the retailer doesn't deliver) and if the experience of others with PayPal is anything to go by (see here: here), they won't be much help either.

Buyer most definitely beware.

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    This was not under Panny gaurentee but D&G the specific example i know of..... i cant really explain about the plasmas on a public forum but if you PM me i will let you know.