50" Plasma Which One

the lish

Standard Member
Reaction score
Been Looking For Ages And Still Can,t Make My Mind Up.help Please

Going to need more info than that please

What do you want to plug into it and what do you watch?
How much do you want to spend
Does it need sound or do you have a separate amp

i have about £1500 pound to spend but could stretch a little more if need be.will be watching mostly sd material through sky+.i also have an xbox 360.i have got speakers but my amp is a little bit dated.

Panny PH9 - special deal price, see top of page 1 of Forum index.
Pioneer 508 - £1700 ish

Samsung PS50Q97HDX £1200 from Empire Direct !
Had it a few days - and it's brilliant .

is the sd material good on the samsung?i have seen the sd on the pioneer and was impressed but yet to see the 50ph9 and i really dont want to buy one without seeing the picture.is there anybody out there with 50ph9 who could tell me how good picture is through sky.thanks

There are a couple of threads you can look at..

PH9 owners thread

PX70 v PH9

...PH9 owners are a proud bunch, and seem only too happy to show their screens to interested others...so you may be lucky if you ask, in the thread, if there is someone local to you who might give you a demo...

Sky on my PH509 is excellent providing the bitrate is high enough.

Neil

Same here mate, its really difficult finding a 50 inch plasma which really well deals well with SD input, I want 1080p for a bit of future proofing. Fancy the 507 but it's not 1080p. I have a decent Yamaha Amp just waiting now for a screen for under 2k with definately no speakers attached to it.

Then buy the 507. You won`t get 1080p for under 2k, and besides, i reckon the 507 will have a better sd picture than the upcoming pana pz700 (which is 1080p and about £2500). Which is more important ? only time will tell.

Same here mate, its really difficult finding a 50 inch plasma which really well deals well with SD input, I want 1080p for a bit of future proofing. Fancy the 507 but it's not 1080p. I have a decent Yamaha Amp just waiting now for a screen for under 2k with definately no speakers attached to it.

Hi Jason,

I'm guessing that you're sitting around 10-12ft from your intended screen? Making SD images look good on such a big screen requires that you look after the signal as much as possible. A JS-Tech RGB-VGA box is more or less mandatory to keep the signal as clean as possible if you're viewing low-res images. http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=33&osCsid=fafaad2ed571357b2df0fb955b5c0b39

Forget about 1080p. Read the article in the Sunday Times here about how the industry is kidding people they really need 1080p. http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article1713767.ece You'll save yourself a serious amount of money.

And if you don't want speakers then a PH9 seems ideal for you. Finally, don't forget to cost quality cables in your budget.;)

i have about £1500 pound to spend but could stretch a little more if need be.will be watching mostly sd material through sky+.i also have an xbox 360.i have got speakers but my amp is a little bit dated.

See my reply to jjasonuk. Allow some funds for a decent 5.1 amp even if it means breaking that budget. Alternatively consider the 42" unless you're sitting further than 10ft away.

i think its between the 50th9 and 507.but is the 507 worth the extra money.

i think its between the 50th9 and 507.but is the 507 worth the extra money.

The Panasonic pro panels are reputed to have the most resistance to retention/burn and to have the best black levels. Those are important to me which is why I bought one. Only you can answer your question once all the info has been provided.

I guess Panny owners will recommend theirs and Pioneer likewise. How far away are you sitting?

It's okay but you do still need to consider the JS box otherwise you'll see a less clean image. It does help image quality and when the image is that big you do see everything!

What size screen do you have now?

i have 32" at the moment.so i would use the js box for sky+ and use vga for xbox

i have 32" at the moment.so i would use the js box for sky+ and use vga for xbox

You'll need a JS RGB-Component in that case. Same quality but more expensive. The PH9 only has one VGA input.

I hope you either have a large room or are wall-mounting the 50". It is a bit of a monster! :eek:

yes will be wall mounting.thanks for the bits of advice.well appreciated

Hi Jason,

I'm guessing that you're sitting around 10-12ft from your intended screen? Making SD images look good on such a big screen requires that you look after the signal as much as possible. A JS-Tech RGB-VGA box is more or less mandatory to keep the signal as clean as possible if you're viewing low-res images. http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=33&osCsid=fafaad2ed571357b2df0fb955b5c0b39

Forget about 1080p. Read the article in the Sunday Times here about how the industry is kidding people they really need 1080p. http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article1713767.ece You'll save yourself a serious amount of money.

And if you don't want speakers then a PH9 seems ideal for you. Finally, don't forget to cost quality cables in your budget.;)

Thanks for your reply, really informative , you obviously know your stuff.

I will be using a Virgin+ box and PS3 or 360HD so will I still need the JS-Tech RGB-VGA box for when I view SD content from the Virgin+ box do just set up the HDMI cable for everything? by the way I will be sitting 8-12ft from the screen (either end of the sofa!, usually 12ft).

Thanks again

The JS-Tech RGB-VGA box will give a better picture than fitting the PH9 RGB board?

Thanks for your reply, really informative , you obviously know your stuff.

Thanks. Only by reading this forum for about 18 months before I bought. :)

I will be using a Virgin+ box and PS3 or 360HD so will I still need the JS-Tech RGB-VGA box for when I view SD content from the Virgin+ box do just set up the HDMI cable for everything? by the way I will be sitting 8-12ft from the screen (either end of the sofa!, usually 12ft).

Thanks again

I asked the question on the Sky HD forum a couple of weeks ago as to whether Sky SD pictures were better via a JS Box to VGA or via Sky HD via HDMI. I never received a reply which indicated one was better than the other. Pity. If you're into SD for the medium/long term consider a JS Box. They are expensive but give great PQ. Maybe other Virgin+ owners can comment?

If you're subscribed to HD I would put everything via HDMI. The PH9 can accommodate up to 3 HDMI blades (the third requires a dip switch change) but at £130 a time you might be better with a HDMI switching box.

The benefits of separate HDMI inputs is they can all be calibrated independently of each other if that is important to you. With games perhaps not.

12ft is fine for a 50". :smashin:

Fun isn't it? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom