1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50" Plasma - Panasonic or Pioneer ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkTaylor, Mar 13, 2002.

1. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Putting together a system based on the Arcam FMJ 27 and the Denon A1SR, now I need to choose a plasma to go with them.

Choice seems to be between the Pioneer 503HDE and the Panasonic TH-50PHW3B. The Pioneer appears to offer a brighter image but the Panasonic has better contrast.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from people with these models.

I am also a little confused to see some people selling the business versions of these plasma screens for home use, the TH-50PHD30BX, or the 503MXE for example. I didn't think that the business versions were built to the required standards for home use, or are they all built to the higher domestic standard now ?

Thanks

Mark

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    On the Pionner front there is one difference between the 503HDE and the 503MXE. The HDE has an external tuner/control box with 3 SCART inputs. The MXE loses the box and has a video input card on the actual screen frame.

The HDE will not currently accept PAL proscan through it's component video inputs (will accept NTSC proscan), I'm not sure whether the MXE will. We have the HDE on demo and will have a 433MXE in soon to try.

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Good to know you guys are into plasma now in High Wycombe, I got my Linn speakers and CD player from The Sound Gallery a few years ago.

I'm not sure if I should worry about proscan or not since the natural resoltuon of the 50" plasma screens doesn't match a 480p output anyway (unlike the 42") so the proscan output is still going to end up being scaled by the screens electronics anyway.

I guess that's another question really, would I get a better image out of a 42" plasma using proscan, or is the extra size of the 50" worth sacrificing a little quality for ?

Viewing distance in my case is about 14'

Thanks,

Mark

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Mark

Plenty of questions raised in such a short post. Hopefully I can add a wee bit of meat to the discussion.

PlasmaTV vs. Plasma Display - the Pioneer HDE range is the first, in my opinion, properly conceived replacement for a conventional CRT TV using a gas plasma screen. Hooking up your source kit is fairly simple and in many circumstance will be a straight like for like connection to replace what you had before on your CRT TV set.

The feature set on the HDE models is also very reminiscent of many modern CRT TV with PnP, Teletext and the like and the RC Handset looks and feels like a normal handset and will also control other Pioneer and third party devices.

The main downside to the HDE range being that the External Media box uses 8-bit video processing and is therefore not 'cutting edge' in terms of what you could be achieving with a plasma display.

Also as there is no DVI input on the Media Box you do not have an option to use a DVI input on the HDE range - this will be important for some customers; I suspect more so the type of enthusiast who visits this forum.

The Panasonic 4B Consumer Display is no where near as 'integrated' a product as the Pioneer HDE PlasmaTV and has a very limited feature set - and the Panasonic external Tuner box is something I find very hard to recommend at its asking price.

For raw video processing power and the cleanest signal path then you will find that the Plasma Display models on offer from Pioneer and Panasonic will give you the absolute best picture quality available.

Plasma Display - Industrial vs. Consumer. The different FCC classifications are something you the consumer will have take on board when choosing between these two groups of products. We sell far more Industrial models than Consumer models into the Home Cinema market and we find no problems with the different RF and IR standards as defined for these two classifications.

Plasma Display - Pioneer vs. Panasonic. I could quite happily live with either of the current models from these two manufacturers. For some the Panasonic has a greater depth to the blacks than the Pioneer - whilst for others the more dynamic 10-bit picture quality of the Pioneer is more appealing.

Again connectivity and future proofing can play a part in your decision making process and here the Pioneer PDP-503MXE wins hands down over the Panasonic TH-50PHD30EX display. The Pioneer has both Component video and DVI Digital RGB whereas the Panasonic has to make do with one or the other - not a show stopper but important for some.

So if you want ease of use and a fairly sexy to use system go with the Pioneer PDP-503HDE PlasmaTV - nothing comes close to it. And if you want the absolute best picture quality look at the Pioneer and Panasonic displays - though remember these displays will highlight poor signal quality and don't expect more than about seven buttons on the handset of your new £7K Plasma display.

Hope this has been useful.

Regards

Joe

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you are using the DV27 then it is certainly worth using the proscan side of it. The deinterlacing in the DV27 is much better than that in any PDP that I know of, thus giving much btter artefact free pictures.

If you don't need the tuner go for the MXE, both have the same retail.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Mark,

As Rick has said the ability of the display to accept a progressive input from an external de-interlacer may be quite an issue. If you are going to be using an FMJ27 Arcam DVD player then it would be a shame to not utilise it's vastly superior de-interlacing over the internal device inside these plasmas.

If you want to understand more about how important this may be go look at www.progressivescan.co.uk they are one of the spnsors of this site and have a good few pages about what 2:3 pulldown etc are all about.

The fact the resolution of the plasma's is greater than 720 x480 or 720 x 576 is not relevant. The 42" ones don't match this either......Plasma displays turn all interlaced signals in to progressive ones by de-interlacing then they scale this progressive image to fit their pixel structure. Using a good of board de-interlacing solution like the FMJ or an Iscan often brings big benefits. I you want to go really mad for top performance you can use a scaler which will de-interlace and scale out to the exact reolution of the plasma you choose. (this will cost more of course)

Gordon

I've seen the 50" Panasonic a couple of times now and like it. I've only seen the new 50" Pioneer briefly at Bristol show in Meridian room. It looked nice as well. Both are substantially better than previous 50" models I think.

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Great input, thanks guys :)

Gordon, I've read all the info on the progressive scan web site and that does confirm my original feeling that proscan was important.

Adding in the fact that the Pioneer supports DVI and component then I'm inclined towards the Pioneer.

I have no need for a tuner in the system so it looks like I'll be auditioning the 503MXE and perhaps the 433MXE if it is available in the near future.

I'm not too worried about the remote controls as I'll be using a Marantz 5000i anyway.

Thanks again everyone,

Mark

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Mark,

A learning remote like yours is worth its weight in gold....One thing to check though is how you access each input. With a TV it's usually easy. You type in "1" OR "6". Plasmas are not TV's though.

With some you may find you have to scroll through the inputs and the starting point will be whatever input you are on at the time. This makes it impossible to have an easy to use remote interface.

The Panasonic has a "pc" discreet command which allows you to jump to a set point in the input list before sending out the input scolling commands. Check how input access is configured for the Pioneer at the same time. It could save lots of headaches....

Gordon

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Mark

The PDP-433MXE is pegged for a July release - no info on pricing at present.

Best regards

Joe

10. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Thanks Gordon, good advice, I'll check it out when I audition the 503MXE.

Joe, July may be a bit longer than I was intending to wait so let's hope I like the way the 503MXE looks :)

Thanks,

Mark

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Mark

I'm sure you wont be disappointed with the PDP-503MXE - most people end up with a sore jaw:D

Just to add a bit to Gordon's post re using your RC5000i and the problems of a lack of direct access to the input codes.

One option you could look into is an RS232 emulator that can be controlled by IR - I don't have the data to hand but I believe you can purchase a fairly low costs device that can be controlled by IR and teach it to recognise discrete codes form the RC5000i.

I'll try and do a bit more homework on that one.

Best regards

Joe

12. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Dear MarkTalyor

I have been using the Pioneer 503HDE now for about 4 months, I could tell you all its good points and some very minor bad (feature) points, but Im too tired now to rattle them all off on this darn keyboard.

Im using the Toshiba sd900e dvd player for a prog scan picture and i've gotta say (and I mean this being completely unbiased), it gives a truely outstanding picture, its absolutely amazing. SHREK has such great detail, contrast and depth of field you just cannot imagine. Blacks are truely black and solorization has been completely illiminated. Even RGB scart gives an amazing picture R1 or R2. According to TAG Mc at the Bristol show (doing the picture demo) the upscaling is the easybit (and boy this is good) and donkey work is in the deinterlacing (the prog scan circuitry).

Something I noticed before I bought the Tosh (and what did have some say in my judgment) was the amount of complaints there were about the Denon2800, Arcam88 & 27 amongst others.
    Paying top dollar doesn't equal top performance.

I spent months!! travelling up and down the country and going to London Harrods to demo each and every possible screen and concluded (disregarding price) the Pioneer was the best.

I havent read all this thread (its getting a bit long) but one difference between the HDE and MXE is the MXE has a digital input (which may come in handy if it ever takes off with dvd player manufacturers). If you buy a Delphi screen they will convert your player for digital output, havent asked if they do it at a price anyway!!?? Worth seeing.

If you wanna talk more, send me a private message and Ill tell you the ups and downs of ownership on the dog.

13. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Thanks for the input Snowman.

I did consider the Toshiba SD900E, it gets good reviews but I'm determined to get a DVD player that doesn't require any physical modifications to handle R1 disks so I had to drop the Toshiba from my list.

It looks like the 503HDE isn't going to be suitable for me due to things like the length of the cable connecting the receiver box to the screen and the fact that the box seems to inhibit any attempt to get PAL progressive to the screen.

I'll be checking out the PAL situation with the 503MXE shortly.

Thanks again,

Mark

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mark: Pioneer can supply extra long leads for connecting the screen and 'box'. I think the stabndard lead is around 2.5m and the long one is 5m.

15. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Thanks for the info Richard, the longer cable would solve one problem, but I'd still be left with the PAL proscan issue.

I'll be checking out a 503MXE later to prove if it can handle PAL progressive. The technical manual suggests it can, we'll see how it works in reality soon enough :)

Mark

16. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi all,
    I also visited Harrods to view all the plasmas there but they didn't do the pioneer. However as soon as I saw the 503hde I knew it was the one to go for (picture, looks, connectivity etc)
    Buy the way pioneer can supply a 7 meter cable, the supplied one is 3 meters. Techtronics claim they can chip a pioneer 747 to output pal progressive scan so my question is will the 503 display this. On a seperate issue, Is it right that the 503mxe or any dvi connection cannot display a dvd movie signal due to copy right protection.
    503hde
    denon avc11sr
    sony dvpns900
    rotel 976mk2
    sky+
    echostar sat.

17. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    From my own recent experience I can confirm that the 503HDE can display progressive NTSC, but will not display progressive PAL.

The 503MXE can display progressive PAL and looks amazing, a lot better than the 503HDE which tends to imply that the tuner box that ships with the HDE is not doing the display any favors since the screen technology should be the same between the HDE and MXE.

Mark

18. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I spoke to Pioneer tech in December and they said they had a big response to people requiring longer leads or what they call the Umbilical lead, ha, and they did say a 5mtr lead was going to be produced early this year but would not give me a def date.

I had a problem where by I buried 20mm conduits it to the walls for all cabling to be hidden, then only on setting up realised the plugs that are preterminated on the cord would not fit in the conduits. A short fall on my part, more redecor. A lesson to be learnt there. :(

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Retro

Just to clarify on the HDE System cable - a twin headed affair, with a DVI connector carrying the video and a multi pin job carrying the command and control, is 3m as standard; though you do loose a bit of that 3m when bending the cable.

The optional replacement cable PDA-HO2 is 7m long.

Regards

Joe

20. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's a nnoying that they are preterminated because when they go wrong in the wall you have to redestroy the wall, and replaster agian. Only had one problem cable though fortunately.

21. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mark, Thank you for your input, but are all pal progressive outputs the same? How were you feeding the hde pal progressive and would that be the same as a Pioneer 747s pal progressive output. I recently managed to get through to Techtronics by phone (there sales line has been engaged for almost a week) and when I said I had a 503 hde the man said i'd be able to benefit from their 747s pal progressive output!
    I chose the hde partly for the silver finish (NICE), but have only seen pictures of the mxe, they all look a very dull industrial grey, can you confirm this?
    Also the umbilical cord is digital but not DVI standard, it is Pioneers own, I think this is because they get around the issue of not being able to use DVI for dvd copy right movies, but I would be interested if anybody could confirm this.

22. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ReTro, What was the problem with the cable and how did the problem effect the plasma?

23. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    As I understand it, right now there is no 'official' PAL progressive standard, so I guess it is possible that the PAL progressive output from one DVD player may be different from another though I would have thought it was unlikely.

In my case we were using the Arcan FMJ27 as the source.

The 503HDE played NTSC progressive perfectly, but would not play PAL progressive. The presumption (unproven) was that the media box supplied with the HDE was doing it's own de-interlacing on the PAL signal which would of course not been compatible with a progressive input.

The 503MXE is indeed supplied as standard with a very dark grey, almost black surround. I've been informed that it can be changed to silver for an additional fee, but for me it is not an issue as the standard color is OK.

As for the Pioneer 747, I'd say have them prove that it works, since I have a nasty feeling that it will fail. When I was asking around about this I got a lot of uncertain replies even from Pioneer. Some people assume that because it handles NTSC progressive that it'll handle PAL which is not the case in my experience. Others simply didn't know which is why I arranged the test.

Having demo'd both the HDE and the MXE I have to repeat that the image on the MXE was certainly better than the HDE, I don't know what exactly the media box is doing, but I strongly suspect that what ever signal processing is going on within the box to convert to the digital output is not doing the image quality any favours.

When you play difficult DVD's like the first couple of chapters of Gladiator on the HDE there is quite a lot of detail missing in the shadows, the MXE has that missing detail clearly displayed.

Having demo'd them both in the same room with the same DVD's there was no doubt in my mind that the MXE was significantly better, due in some part of course to the working PAL progressive.

Mark

24. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think there was a break in the cable somewhere. Gave no picture, red power light flashed. Worked fine with a new cable.

25. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yeah, I've been there before......but fortuneatley I know a God sent solderer ((Old BT engineer, I'm glad there are still some quality engineers out there from the old school, shame there a dying breed all this plug and play simplicity is killing them off. Most people stop at soldering speaker ends)I guess P&P has its pros and cons though like everything else!) that can get round this for me when the time arrives, if I havent upgraded by then. Im already looking about for a projector now to get a truely cinematic BIG picture, so I'll be paying close attention to the 'Projector' section. This website is a mini goldmine of info :)

26. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

Just to clarify a couple of points raised re HDE vs. MXE.

Glass panel - both the same or very similar though with different filter overlays.

Bezel trim:
    HDE - two tone Silver; makes it look even thinner than it really is.
    MXE - Charcoal grey with a slight textured finish.

Cooling:
    HDE - all convection.
    MXE - convection with two temperature controlled fans; I've never heard the fans in an MXE come on as yet so can't tell how quiet they are or not.

Video Processing:
    HDE - on board the Media Box. 8-Bit technology resolving - 16.7m colours at 256Grey Scale.
    MXE - on board the PDA-5002 slot in video board. 10-Bit technology resolving - 576m colours at 832Grey Scale.

HDE System cable:
    If you open one up you will see the cores are not colour coded so a major fiddle to try and make your own version.

HDE System cable:
    The advise from Pioneer is that the video cable (uses DVI connector) will not drive longer lengths than the new 7m extension; I guess given time this may improve.

User friendly:
    The HDE is a great set for those wanting a replacement for a conventional TV set - it operates like a conventional TV set with a good quality hand set and a good feature set.

The MXE is a typical Plasma display - it has a minimal feature set and really only offers input switching, volume control and picture parameter settings.

Price:
    The MXE is substantially less expensive than an HDE and is supplied for table top installations with a set of simple feet.

So I guess you make your choice based on your individual requirements - we supply both of these displays to Home Cinema customers and its a case of matching up the customers requirements with the strengths and weaknesses of each display.

Regards

Joe

27. IGT

IGT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Joe Fernand, Hello All,

I am also considering 50" plasma.

My question is why Fujitsu 5002 is not considered in the discussion?

Is it worse that Pioneer 503 HDE ? Why ?

Thank you,

Igor

28. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I guess Joe was contrained by my question, but I didn't consider Fujitsu because of the lower brightness and contrast compared to the Pioneer.

Fujitsu list the 5002 as having 500:1 contrast and 500 cd/m² brightness which didn't seem high enough to me compared with the Pioneer and the Panasonic.

But as Joe sell the Fujitsu's as well I'm sure he'll comment later :)

For me the 10-bit color on the MXE is the main distinguishing feature, it was most impressive handling the extreme variations of colour and shadow in the 2nd chapter of Moulin Rouge for example.

Mark

29. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi MT

Im very impressed by your powers of persuasion. How did you get someone/a company to put the HDE and MXE in the same room to demo, thats must be a reviewers dream, well not quite!

Where did you get the oppotunity to do this?

30. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Mostly it involved on-going discussions about spending significant amounts of money :)

The exact phrase if I recall correctly went something like ...

' ... no way am I spending *that* amount of cash on something I have not actually seen ..' ;)

The location was Musical Images in Edgware, the MXE was shipped in specially for the demo and sent back right afterwards, as you may imagine there aren't many demo rooms that can permanently have 2 plasma's set up :)

Mark