50'' Plasma over a Plasma Gas fire

Smileyangie

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a plasma fire on a flat wall (the chimny breast is on the external wall of my house). I have just bought a 50in Plasma tv which I'd like to mount above the fire. I don't often turn the fire on but when I do it really chucks out some heat!!

Can anyone help please. I'm obviously hesetant as the heat from the fire all radiates from the front and top of the fire rather than up a chimney.

I have heard of heat deflecting shelves but can't find a suplier anywhere.

Any advice would be very welcome
Thanks Angie

tvbox

Distinguished Member
U can stick a normal shelf a suitable height above the fire, but depends how high your tv is above the fire.

badkarma

U can stick a normal shelf a suitable height above the fire, but depends how high your tv is above the fire.
Hi mate,

The search tool is you friend :)

Try searching this forum for 'plasma fire' and you'll see about half a dozen other threads on said subject for some advice.

:smashin:

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have a plasma fire on a flat wall (the chimny breast is on the external wall of my house). I have just bought a 50in Plasma tv which I'd like to mount above the fire. I don't often turn the fire on but when I do it really chucks out some heat!!

Can anyone help please. I'm obviously hesetant as the heat from the fire all radiates from the front and top of the fire rather than up a chimney.

I have heard of heat deflecting shelves but can't find a suplier anywhere.

Any advice would be very welcome
Thanks Angie
Also you can put a thermometre on the wall with the fire on to see if it is within the safe operating temperature of the TV.:)

stranger

You will also find less need to use your fire when watching your plasma as the heat from your plasma will help to keep the room warm.

rewerb

Novice Member
You need heat deflecting shelf otherwise the gases from the fire will seep into the plasma pixels and the colours will all go a smokey grey:D

tvbox

Distinguished Member
You need heat deflecting shelf otherwise the gases from the fire will seep into the plasma pixels and the colours will all go a smokey grey:D
Hmm no i think it will automatically 'regass' your plasma at the same time, once a day, never mind every 5 years :rotfl:. Ensuring a bright, vivid picture at all times, matching LCD levels

cjohnson6

Novice Member
I like to sit on front of the TV and look straight at it. I'd hate the thought of having to look up at a TV for 3 hours whilst watching one of those epic middle earth adventures from New Zealand..

For me it just wouldn't work... and think if all the dust it would collect.

nal

Standard Member
My mother has that type of fire and like you say it gets red hot, she had to remove a picture frame that was a good 2ft above the fire for fear of the glass shattering and that was with it running at low heat, also she has noticed although it goes thru' a catalyst over a period her windows are more noticably sooty when she cleans them which won't benefit the tv.
If it was me I wouldn't fit it there, or else fit a metal shelf that's curved on the underside to deflect the heat but this will still get hot.

nal.

stormy

I read this totally wrong from the topic title, I thought you meant buy a Plasma instead of a Gas fire. :facepalm:

Mine doesn't kick enough heat out to match a Gas fire. :)

The Snake

Banned
I own a plasma fire, they are 100% fuel efficient and usually kick a lot of heat straight up through vents in the top, although some plasma fires are just there for effect (i.e generate little heat and just a twinkly flame). Hence it depends on the type of plasma fire. Although by the sounds you have a 'hot' one with an external vent in the room.

I'm with nal, these things generate heat straight up, no place for a plasma in my opinion. The problem with testing heat levels above these sort of fires is that as heat is generated upwards a lip of a mounted plasma may trap the heat causing a heat build up.

If you put a shelf above they need to be heat resistant. You should check the manual of the fire before putting a shelf. There is also a moisture problem.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom