1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50+" plasma, HD capable, DVI input, which one?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by owain_thomas, Apr 27, 2005.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm looking for a new display and as room sapce is going to be a bit of an issue I've decided on a plasma. I've seen reviews of a couple that have taken my fancy, namely the pioneer 50" and the hitachi 55pma550e.

The things I require are that it be able to accept hidef signals via hdmi (1080i, 720p) so that I'll be able to use one of the new sky boxes when sky HD comes out, that it have a DVI input so that I can feed it directly from my HTPC and that it be as quiet as possible in operation.

Do any current or potential owners have any comments about these screens? are there any problems getting 1:1 pixel mapping over DVI at 60Hz? What about 50 or 75Hz? Are there any others I should be considering? The most important thing for me is getting the best possible picture I can, I don't mind paying slightly if one screen is a lot better than another more but the PQ has to be superb.

cheers :thumbsup:
    owain

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    owanin

The new Fujitsu 50XHA40US is astonishing....read the thread on this page and search for one called Fujitsu 40 series...

Dil

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    thanks dilsher, good read that thread! I'm a bit concerned over how the native res over hdmi @ 50Hz issue works out but I'll give it a bit of time and see. Are there any online reviews of this screen available?

how much did you pay for yours?

owain

4. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no probs - the 50hz thing i dont think is a prob via HDMI for you anyways but i do have scaler so....!!!

Expect to pay 4.5 to 4.95k depending on where ya go - its not avaialble oin internet though only flash installers and high end dealers only ... Give Liam at progressive AV a call or Joe Fernand who have these rare screens!!!

No online reviews yet but this months HCC gives it the royal 5 star treatment and calls it the new king etc....

Its out of this world man!!! Kills anything else i have ever seen.

5. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    cant reccomend it highly enough, Owain. I love mine to bits. As it runs in, it just keeps getting better.......and that's without a real scaler. Watch for the comments of the installers that Dilsh has mentioned. They are trying it in all kinds of combinations at different hz.
    My Dealer in Solihull has one on permanent dem if you can manage the hours drive down the M6 from Manc to the Midlands. Its not through a scaler but it is running both DVD via HDMI at 720p and HiDef material from a UVEM HTPC at native res via DVi. Email me if you need any more info.

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya pat mate

glad to see youre still getting more and more out if it each day! Im being installed this Friday so cant wait and its Bank Holiday so 4 days to play wiv it!!!! wooohoooo...

OOps sorry Owain didnt see your location and yeps bump up to solihull for demo!

Dil

7. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also getting the fuji so it better be good. :)

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sdk

I have told Fuji to send you a secret ES version so there!!! Yours cant be better than mine see???
    :devil:
    Dil

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    thanks for the replies, sounds quite a piece of kit!

I'm still a bit confused about native res and timings though, is it possible to use an HTPC over DVI and run at 50Hz (or 75) and 60Hz? This would be ideal if it could as then I could just switch with powerstrip or similar and get judder free dvds from any region.

another thing, is a wall bracket extra cost, if so how much?

thanks,
    owain

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No native at 50 or 75, 720p at 50 naturally on hdmi, but this is not the ideal PC user's screen, nor really scalers. Nonetheless, looks terriffic on sd material scaled to 720p. HD stuff from the net from HTPC is fine cos it's all 60Hz, native res on DVI is at 60Hz like the panasonic. Only Pio. MXE1 can do native at 50Hz.