1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50" Plasma for HD DVDs only, PHD7 ok?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by shyboy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am a bit confused with the limitations of this screen. I know it can do 720@60 and 1080@60 but not 50Hz, but does that mean anything if I am not bothered about watching TV through SKY on it? (I will do, but don't care if its displayed in HD or not tbh as we only ever watch the news on TV)

I do want to be able to watch DVDs in HD, so, my simple question is, will the 50PHD7 be ok for that?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It depends whether European HD-DVD's are 50Hz, like the current DVD's are. However they may just make 60hz the worldwide standard for HD-DVD. You do know the PHD7 accepts 720p and 1080i 50hz (and 60Hz) through component? Just not HDMI/DVi.

3. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    so if im using component DVD player I should not have any problems at all?

Thanks,
    ShyBoy

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    In theory, no no probs, but HD-DVD and Blu Ray will use HDCP content protection, meaning it can only be sent through HDMI or HDCP DVI. Thats where the problem starts, you can get an external scalar to Frame Rate Convert to 60Hz, or get a naughty box, but ill leave it up to google to explain that!

Thing is HDDVD may well be 60hz. my advice is wait till they announce this, if its 50hz the phd8 may be out and you can get that, if its 60hz youll get a phd7 for cheap!

5. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thank you very much chedmaster. good plan.

Its just that for the first time, I am able to get a very decent 50" plasma for under £3000 and its getting very tempting. There is no way in hell that we can afford to pay £5k for the fujitsu and it looks like the PHD8 will be around the £4K+ range. I am also going to build a HTPC for it eventually, will that have any affect on this decision?

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yeah that will help, you can turn that into a scaler as far as i know, and you should be able to FRC to 60hz. However HDCP compliant video inputs to PC's is unlikely, i just dont know enough about HTPC's as scalers to help. try a search its probably come up in the PC section before.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    shyboy

Possibly still not within your budget but worth noting the Fujitsu P50XHA40US 'HD Ready' model now has a UK SRP of £4,495.00 - which includes a Three Year Warranty!

If your contemplating taking a punt on a discounted Panasonic TH-50PHD7 Display I'd assume that at some point you may have to revert to using an External Video processor between any PAL HD Sources and the optional HDMI or DVI Digital Input for the 7 Series Display.

Best regards

Joe

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd be mad not to wait for the 8 series.

I'm sure it'll be available for 3k - even the 50PV500 is now on sale for under £3400....

9. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First of all, thanks everyone for the advice.

So what you are all pretty much saying is, that even though I am not interested in watching normal TV (sky or otherwise) in HD, but just HD DVDs, I might still come across problems. These problems, are not 100% curable via a HTPC? If that is pretty much the case, I will do as suggested and wait for the PHD8. superpixel, may I ask where you saw the 50PV500 for 3,400?

Not really interested in getting a scaler, but as my company builds pcs already (although targeted at flight simulators hobbyist rather then HC), it wont cost me much to build a HTPC from the hundreds of bits we have lying about here.

Thanks again,
    ShyBoy