50" plasma Brand/Model advice needed

mkoprulu

Standard Member
Hi all,

Looking to purchase a 50" plasma in the next month or so.

Budget is £1000 - £1200

It will be mainly used to watch satellite tv. I don't have many dvds and not thinking of sky hd, etc so true HD experience is not a must for me. What i need is reliability and good picture quality.

However, i still would like it to have some sort of HD capability for future (freeview HD - 2012 anyone?)

I also would like it to have at least 2 HDMI connections, and black in color.

Currently i have the old xbox and ps2, so i guess majority of plasmas would handle the quality for games in these consoles easy...

In the future, if and when ps3 prices go down to £200ish, i'll get one - hence future proofing for HD.

What connection would i need for connecting my laptop to the plasma? (i'll need that too)

Sorry for the long list, but i tried to be as precise as possible.

pjskel

50" for £1200 - not at the moment, but possibly in 2-3 months time, the PX70 from Panasonic.
Currently £1399 + ped/cab/wall bracket.

Old gaming consoles will look absolutely dire on a new big screen TV - so forget that.
Personally, if I were in your position, I'd opt for a 42" PX70 (£900 ish) and spend the rest on a 360 or PS3 and enjoy it now.
With the PS3, you've a BR player in-built, so you can take immediate advantage of HD movies.
Laptop is simply a case of VGA cable to the laptop (or HDMI/DVI conversion cable) depending on what output it has - analog or digital.

That's it.

mkoprulu

Standard Member

pjskel

Philips - Unreliable brand and my own refusal to consider them for personal reasons precludes me from recommending them.

Samsung - never seen a decent picture on a Samsung TV either with analog or digital tuner in-built. HD is fine. They're not the cheapest brand name for no reason.

PX60 - a least one short (fairly major) coming known as 'purple snakes syndrome'. The PX70 is much better according to those who've bought it and changed from a PX60.

mkoprulu

Standard Member
:eek: Scary comments... This tv hunting is proving to be harder than i thought. PX70 is £1400 cheapest, which is higher than my budget.

So you reckon i should stick with a solid 42" Panasonic rather than struggle with a crap 50"...

I might decide to wait a bit more for the PX70 to go down in price.

Any other models/brands in the 50" range you can recommend?

pjskel

:eek: Scary comments... This tv hunting is proving to be harder than i thought. PX70 is £1400 cheapest, which is higher than my budget.

So you reckon i should stick with a solid 42" Panasonic rather than struggle with a crap 50"...

Only the more expensive Pioneer 507.
Seriously, it really is only between the Panny and Pioneer, who with their upcoming 8G panel are looking to leave it to Panasonic to slug it out with Samsung/Philips/LG/etc and move upmarket towards Fujitsu.
If you have the distance to sit from a 50" (100" HD, 150" SD) then best hang on a bit longer (4-6 weeks) or raid the piggy bank for the extra needed to go now.

scottyf

if your not wanting the tv for a month or two some people think the 50px70 will be around the £1200 mark(i am yet to be convinced)might be worth waiting.

if you want a tv now i would go for the 50px60(although silver and you wanted black) this tv is about as good as it gets in your price range it can be had for £999 without stands.
the purple snake problem mentioned above on the 50" is very rare with about 3 people reporting it in the whole year the tvs been out the 37" 42" tv thats another story.i have the 50" and so far am more than happy.

i have also read that the 42px70 seems to still have the purple snakes problem so its not all roses for the new model.

snappyq

hitachi are launching an new 50" plasma in the next couple of weeks P50T01 check out their website http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com its blck has 2 hdmi and will retail for about £1399 but i expcect this price to fall ive had an hitchi for over 2 years and its been brilliant.

mkoprulu

Standard Member
if your not wanting the tv for a month or two some people think the 50px70 will be around the £1200 mark(i am yet to be convinced)might be worth waiting.

if you want a tv now i would go for the 50px60(although silver and you wanted black) this tv is about as good as it gets in your price range it can be had for £999 without stands.
the purple snake problem mentioned above on the 50" is very rare with about 3 people reporting it in the whole year the tvs been out the 37" 42" tv thats another story.i have the 50" and so far am more than happy.

i have also read that the 42px70 seems to still have the purple snakes problem so its not all roses for the new model.

Regarding the purple snakes problem, if it happens, you end up sending the tv back for replacement right? so i'd better make sure that i buy it from a shop which is either: local, or providing free collection and return...

I found both Panasonic 50px60 and LG 50PC1DA (suggested by Nipster) for £999 at Richersounds.

So it's down to choosing which one it will be. I must say that the grey colour in Panny is a big turn off for me at the moment. But if you can convince me that it's far superior than the LG model, i'll go for it...

Sprout Crumble

I think the Panasonic is the equal of the Pioneer frankly. Both, like most flat screen tv's, have issues but on outright image quality they're pretty much equal. The fact that the Panny is a grand and the Pioneer getting on for double that just adds to the misconception that the Pioneer is on a different level to all the other sub-£2000 screens. Its not.
Samsungs new 50q9 should be out about now and will likely be a much more worthy adversary to the Panasonic than the LG which, to be frank, has never struck me as being that great.
Of those two, its a no-brainer for me at least.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom