1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50" Pioneer or Panasonic or neither?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johnnyhonk, Oct 20, 2004.

1. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot of posts over the last few days, but thought I'd get any recommendations I can.

Problem is I am working interstate (in Australia) and wanted to buy a decent telly to keep in my apartment, mainly for DVD and Xbox. So I started looking at the el'cheapo 42" plasmas. Eg, the Teac and Samsung. Trouble is, all of them looked quite bad, when up against the Fujitsu and Panasonic etc.

So now, I find myself looking past the $3000-$4000 (au) plasmas at the $6-8k plasmas. But I figure if I am going to pay up to $8k for 852 res, then why not spend $10k and get one of the 50" models, that support higher resolutions.

So should I decide to get the 50" models, I have narrowed it down to either the Panasonic or the Pioneer (unless someone has a better idea)

50" PDP-504HDG
    http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/home_entertainment/plasmadisplaypanel/pdp504hdg/index.html

50" Viera TH-50PV30A
    http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=2294

The use for this Plasma, is to watch DVD's and play xbox games (I have a HD connector coming today), so I'd like to play these games in HD. Now reading these forums, I understand that the Viera won't do 720p which I believe is one of the popular xbox game modes. But the Viera does do a higher res than the Pioneer (sorry, not entirely up on all these display modes quite yet, so I am unsure what I need).

Finally, I'd probably expect to plug a Shuttle PC into this TV so I can have internet access via the TV (saves getting up).

Sorry for this post being so long, but I figure I should let you all know exactly what I want, so I don't waste peoples time in responding. I really don't want to spend $10k and find out I bought the wrong thing.

Many thanks for any responses, I appreciate it.