1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 or 100HZ

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Karl_Alexander, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Karl_Alexander

Karl_Alexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I'm looking at 28" HDTVs and wanted peoples opinions on whethere I should go with a 50Hz or 100Hz set ?

Options at the moment look like a Samsung 100Hz TV (WS28A116DS) or a Sony KD28DX50

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hi there.

If you have an eye for the flickering on 50hrz sets and it bothers you then go for 100hrz. If the flickering does not bother you stay with 50hrz.

100hrz televisions come with many problems because of the proccesing the picture under goes to make it flicker free.

There are a lot of people on this forum that I think would fo back to 50hrz if they could!!

Make you sure you get a good demo of both tvs before you buy. Make sure you watch movies and sport if you can with fast movement and see what you think.
    Also buy from a place like john lewis who I have heard have an outstanding customer aftercare service just in case you have any problems :thumbsup:

3. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Some bloke in Comet told me last night that you shouldn't get 100Hz if you want Sky, because it won't work. This was news to me, as I have a 100 Hz TV and have had no problems with Sky at all.

I haven't experienced most of the common problems with 100 Hz sets, although it did take a fair bit of fiddling with the picture settings to get the picture as sharp and bright as I like it. Colour was the hardest - too much (esp with the wrong brightness and contrast) and everyone looks like they're wearing 3 layers of fake tan. Too little and the picture looks dull and lifeless.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Different Comet,different opinion....my local branch gave me the opposite advice,and the TV looks and works just fine with a very stable clear image....definitely better in my opinion,on all material than the equivalent 50Hz set.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Remember, the Sales Assistant in the shop is there for one purpose:

TO MAKE A SALE!

If they have just taken delivery of a load of 50Hz sets, then that's what they'll recommend.

Don't blame them for this; it's their job and their wages depend on it.

Motto: Come to this Forum for independent advice!

Good luck.

6. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    The reason why I was speaking to a bloke in Comet was because I was looking at display TVs to compare them with the geometry problem (curving picture - noticeable on end credits) that I am having. He said that it might be caused by Sky not working with 100 Hz!!! Then he suggested that tilting the picture might help!! He even attempted to demonstrate on the display model of my set! :suicide: Of course, it didn't help. :laugh:

Incidentally, all of the display TVs of various makes that I looked at had similar problems to mine to a greater or lesser extent.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    50Hz :smashin: