50 incher

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Chris5, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Hi, I'm looking for a good 50" plasma to go with my 868ai. I don't like the pioneer 504HDE because i think the blacks look green and the pictures seems quit jerkey to me, i.e. the picture does not seem to flow. The Panasonic 50HPW6 picture looks great but they've porked up the DVI port (plus it has a fan so i heard somewhere). So what else is there with a dvi/hdmi implementation? Fujitsu? Hitachi? any ideas would be helpful.

I also live in mid herts, so finding anywhere that displays 50" plasmas is quite rare. any ideas on that front would be helpful too.

Any ideas MAW?

Thanks very much for any help given.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,250
    Chris5

Seeing green blacks means you've not seen the PDP-504HDE set up correctly - I agree the screen can look less than smooth with some channels on SKY though not an issue from DVD.

The Panasonic 6 Series 50" Display's do have a fan though its much quieter than previous generation Displays and much much quieter than the fan in the R04 Media Box attached to the Pioneer HDE PlasmaTV's.

The DVI input on the Panasonic is only an issue if your source kit cant output 575P @ 50Hz - otherwise it works very well with 60Hz (NTSC) signals and it is HDCP compliant.

HDMI and DVI inputs that are HDCP compliant are already becoming scarce on the Display models as the inclusion of HDCP on a DVI input means the TAX man will automatically re-classify a Display as a TV and add a 14% duty to the import price of the Display - I think we'll see more and more third party plug in cards for the most popular Plasma Displays in the coming year.

If you want deep blacks and more flexibility with Digital video sources I'd look at a Panasonic TH-50PHD6BX (Charcoal) and a Lumagen VisionDVI external scaler (May 04) to get all of your sources into the display on a digital connection via the DVI card.

Best regards

Joe

PS Note I suggest the Charcoal bezel on the display - if you want to loose a bit of contrast stick to the Silver bezel :)

3. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks Joe,

I'll investigate the Lumagen thing you mention, can it be bought in the UK, or only from the US website?

any thought on the Fujitsu P50XHA30ES?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,250
    Chris5

The Fujitsu model you mention uses Panasonic's 1366x768 Glass so is a viable option to the TH-50PHD6BX - I tend to stick with the OEM product and prefer the 'less processing' approach from Panasonic and then add in an external processor; the external approach is more flexible and the external units generally have more 'programmability' to enable you to optimise picture quality on a 'per input' basis.

Lumagen does have a UK distributor and myself and others are resellers.

The 'Next Generation' Lumagen products are still in final development - though I did have the UK distributor plus a Pre Production Vision unit at the house yesterday and very nice it was too (with analogue and digital sources).

If you need info on any of the above drop me a note.

Best regards

Joe

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks again Joe,

I've bookmarked your website, so when the time comes, I know where to get one from (Lumagen).

I've just got to find someone in the SE that has 50" plasmas on display for me to view, I havn't found one yet except a poorly setup one at Watford John Lewis.