Answered 50 Inch Samsung vs 55 inch TLC ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Carlitouus, Jun 9, 2018.

?
  1. TLC - 55 inch 4k TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Samsung - 50 inch 4k tv

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Carlitouus

Carlitouus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

First post here l hope l am not doing this wrong. So l have a low budget for a 4k tv as l already own a flat screen, l just want the slight better image. I have the choice between a 50 inch samsung 4k smart tv for $420 (MU6070) or the TLC 55" inch 4k smart tv for $380 (model 55S405) 4 series.

Seems like they're both the low end models from both brands, except l trust Samsung and tlc is a new brand to me... Now l do have a chance of not only paying $40 less(which really don't matter l'll spend the extra cash for quality as it's not a big difference) byt l also get an extra 5 inches for the screen.

TV is going to my room but l plan on getting a bigger place and would like for it to be the living room's tv which at 55 it will be awesome still.

What do you guys think?

Thank you guys

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by EndlessWaves, Jun 9, 2018 (1 points)
  3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,301
    Would it actually enable you to view any higher quality content? That means stuff only available in HEVC/VP9 formats or restricted by HDCP 2.2.

If you're just going to feed it the same stuff you might be disappointed.

p.s. Their TVs aren't sold here in the UK but I guess you're talking about TCL (Alcatel phones etc.)?

4. Carlitouus

Carlitouus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TCL bought Alcatel in 2005 yes.

As far as the content l will stream netflix and play video games, l will be also upgrading my xbkx one to the scorpio but l'll be buying on black Friday.

I have a very old LCD screen not even LED which is why l thought it was time.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,301
    Best Answer
    Outside of OLED, LED only refers to the backlight type of the display. It's still an LCD forming the image, the backlight has just changed from CCFLs to LEDs.

The main advantage of LED backlights for LCDs are a slimmer frame and a slight reduction in energy use, there's no picture quality difference.

6. Carlitouus

Carlitouus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thank you! So what would you choose ? Size or brand

7. CottonMcKnight

CottonMcKnight
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too funny, I bought the 55S405, and had to return it same day. None of the HDMI connections worked. I tested by connecting ps4 and laptop directly via a working HDMI cable and the external devices were never recognized.

Went out and bought the mu6070 50" yesterday and it worked with the same test as the TCL. Then I ran into some HDCP 2.2 issues.

I was using an old HDMI coupler to run a 50' HDMI cable (HDCP 1.4 compliant) through the wall/attic to my media closet to my receiver (rx-v383). That worked great on my 9 year old 40" Samsung 5000 series.

I got it to eventually work on 1080p, without the coupler but have realized my receiver is most likely not going to play nice during the up converting process even if in upgrade to HDMI 2.0.

So the finalized work around will be:
    HDMI 2.0 50' From PS4 (in media closet) to tv. Toslink from tv to receiver in media closet. And old HDMI 50' from Wii (rooted and used as emulator) in media closet to tv.

All in all I trust Samsung to better handle the HDMI handshake versus TCL. I did like the picture on the TCL when I used the built in Netflix and Amazon apps. But after 9 years with an old 40" Samsung anything relatively new was going to look. I will be keeping the Samsung because of have peace of mind that I could fix anything on it for less than it would cost me to out right replace the TV (unless the video panel died). Also I have a smallish living room and the 55" TCL was a little to big for comfort.

Good luck with your purchase. Providing either one works properly out of the box, you'll enjoy either of them. Samsung just edged in for me, I have quite a few of their monitors and phones, so I appreciate their brand quality/price point.