50 Hz versus 100Hz

tjpicnic

Standard Member
I'm going to buy either a SonyEX503 or EX403.
One is 100Hz the other 50Hz. Otherwise they seem identical. The views I pick up on the net are conflicting.
I'm not sure we as a family would notice the difference?? We just watch TV a lot!
But I want this thing to be reasonably future proof.
Is it correct that u can turn the 100Hz feature off? and why would you do that?
Top end tvs now seem to have 200Hz spec!
What does anyone think?
Tony

Vhero

Standard Member
100hz seems a must for gaming its seems as you will notice blur on fast paced games or some people seem to say. Others say they cannot notice it. Also fast paced sports can suffer on some 50hz tv's from ghosting but not all with a 100hz TV you are eliminating the chance of this happening.

Tons of topics on here about this if you searched though :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/crt-tvs/60653-50hz-vs-100hz.html is just one I found

tjpicnic

Standard Member
We're not into gaming but do like to watch Grand Prix - which looks fine to us on our 10yr old 28" CRT. Will I end up regretting buying 50Hz in the future??
Tony

Coop995

Ghosting is more to do with the response time of the LCD panel rather than the refresh rate. Higher refresh rates are meant to minimise judder on panning shots etc.

Colonel_basic

Dont get hung up on this 100htz stuff, i have had it on 2 tv's and its a waste of time all it seems to do is make the picture glitchy. The only time i have seen it work well was on the panasonic g20 and that was only for football, everything else was unwatchable with it on. I cant understand how people can watch tv with it on

tjpicnic

Standard Member
Why are top end TVs 200Hz then?
Will I regret only having 50Hz in 1,2,5,or 10 yrs time?
I have had my present crt TV longer than that- we just feel we need to catch up - but with what?
What am I missing?
Tony

MasterRusty

Standard Member
I'd recommend going into your nearsest retailer and seeing for yourself. Even if you don't see the models you're considering you'll hopefully be able to compare 50hz to 100hz or more. Personally I don't like the effect it has and as a gamer, tales of induced input lag sealed it. Also, as you've no doubt seen the feature usually goes hand in hand with a big price leap.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Dont get hung up on this 100htz stuff, i have had it on 2 tv's and its a waste of time all it seems to do is make the picture glitchy. The only time i have seen it work well was on the panasonic g20 and that was only for football, everything else was unwatchable with it on. I cant understand how people can watch tv with it on

I have a Panasonic 100Hz TV. Motion handling of any faster movement (sport, panning, etc) is far better than I have seen on any 50Hz TV or so far any other 100HZ TV. A couple of years ago Panasonics frame interpolation was definitely far superior to anything else on the market. Whereas other TV's introduced artefacts as a result of interpolation Panasonics did not. On my Panasonic I cannot switch 100Hz off - I cannot understand why anyone would want to do so. There is no question of "I cant understand how people can watch tv with it on" - I can see this applying to other "100Hz" systems but not a Panasonic. I sent back a Sony 100Hz LCD just before purchasing a Panasonic 100Hz LCD. The Sony performed as you describe - but not the Panasonic!

Colonel_basic

I have a Panasonic 100Hz TV. Motion handling of any faster movement (sport, panning, etc) is far better than I have seen on any 50Hz TV or so far any other 100HZ TV. A couple of years ago Panasonics frame interpolation was definitely far superior to anything else on the market. Whereas other TV's introduced artefacts as a result of interpolation Panasonics did not. On my Panasonic I cannot switch 100Hz off - I cannot understand why anyone would want to do so. There is no question of "I cant understand how people can watch tv with it on" - I can see this applying to other "100Hz" systems but not a Panasonic. I sent back a Sony 100Hz LCD just before purchasing a Panasonic 100Hz LCD. The Sony performed as you describe - but not the Panasonic!

The point im making is lcd screens need to use motion system to get 100htz and it is glitchy as hell on all of them, i owned a g20 and it still had blurring but turning on the ifc made football look awesome but was useless for everything else as it had glitching. Plasma does not require a bit of software to make it 100htz like lcd

tjpicnic

Standard Member
I still dont get it.
Why r 100, 200 and now even 600Hz TVs being advertised if most of you dont like it?? Why is it being hyped as the way forward???
So confused
Tony

chinky

Standard Member
I have just bought the 403 model 50hz. And like you I was unsure about the 100hz for exactly the same reasons. To put your mind at rest this tv needs alot of picture tweeking (but then again so the all do) the S/D picture isnt fantastic but this is aN issue on all big screens, I cant say if 100hz would be better but I doubt it. watching H/D is very good indeed (once set up correctly) and I cant see the need for 100hz when watching in H/D.To conclude if you have access to plenty of hd then buy it . if your watching just in sd then perhaps the max screen size I would suggest would be 37".

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom