50"+ HDTV help needed.....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by RabidFan, Jul 19, 2004.

1. RabidFan

RabidFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide. I am in the market for an HD set 45-60". While I love the clarity of plasma, I've some concerns about their longevity (I hear they lose 50% of their brightness after approx. 10,000 hours), and that concerns me. While I'm not terribly averse to spending 5-7K on an amazing set, I'd like some reassurance that in 10yrs the picture will be as impressive as the day I bought it, which has led me into the LCD land. (although I'm not sure there is an LCD that large, that is why I'm querying the experts).

A friend has a InFocus Screen Play DLP projector, and while I'm impressed with the picture, it would get too washed out due to overwhelming natural light in the location it's located. So I've eliminated a DLP projector.

I'm an audio nut, and have an amazing surround sound set-up already, and would like to "top it off" with the set to match. I would appreciate ANY advice folks would be willing to provide, as I'm heavy into research prior to purchase on something of this magnitude. I have a 400+ DVD collection and a progressive scan ES series Sony DVD player, so this will be it for now, hopefully. I will be watching HD broadcasts as well (trying to provide as much comprehensive info as possible). Again, thanks for ANY help or words of advice. I'm hoping to narrow down here and then search out the individual sets to see what suits me from a picture and aesthetics standpoint.

Stu

2. RabidFan

RabidFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ^^ Also, a rear projection DLP or LCD would work easily well if anyone can offer experience/do's or dont's on them. :lease:

Anyone?,

Stu

3. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your CRT has lost its brightness over time also. DID you 'really' notice it was at half brightness by about 5yrs+? Probably not imo.

The Plasma will lose it's brightness over time but the changes are GRADUAL so you will most likely not notice it unless you have it side by side with a new plasma screen.

LCD's for me aren't great for watching darkish scenes and don't handle movies as well. Movies imo DO NOT include CGI stuff like Ice Age and Toy Story. CGI stuff will look GREAT on ANY display imo.

I didn't like the RPTV DLP I saw in the states. I like RPTV technology. I don't like the colours that are shown with light in the room.

IF you can control the lighting in the room then it isn't a bad buy. If YOU like the image you go for BUY IT. I personally can't stand it but some people LOVE it and they don't like the Plasma or LCD or any other technology. Just get what looks good to your eyes.

Koing

4. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding product life, 10,000 hours is nearly 7 years, if you watch TV for 4 hours a day, every day of the year.

I saw quite a few large screens at an electronics show earlier this year, most of which were running HD material. Sony and Pana had the most impressive pictures from their large plasmas and in my opinion the only LCD that came close was the 45" from Sharp.

What kind of output format will your HD signals be in? I ask because the Pana's at the show appeared to receiving their HD signal via I-Link, which I've never seen before and may not be practical in the real world (?).

5. RabidFan

RabidFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went and did some viewing at a couple of local shops, and was quite wowed by the Samsung HLP5063W 50". It's a DLP RP, and at $3250 it seemed on the more "reasonable" options. Sadly, my television is on quite a bit (large family) and 4hrs/day is probably an understatement.

Koing - I agree with you on the darkness of the LCD's. I had a LCD RP and a DLP RP next to one another and the DLP seemed to recreate black much better than did the LCD. Also, the potential to have a frozen pixel is somewhat scary. I'm investigating light blocking shades now to SOMEWHAT regulate the level of light in the room, so I will have some "tweaking" ability in that regard. Any other thoughts??? Your expertise (as well as everyone else's) is tremendously appreciated. :D

Any other thoughts from anyone else? Or on this Samsung in particular?? About to do a "search".......and thx again guys.

Stu

6. kheldar

kheldar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all the newer models the time that the plasma-screen falls back to half its luminance is estimated at 20,000-30,000 hrs. Manufacturers did improve a lot the properties of the gas and the way it is "plasmazised" which results in much longer life properties

7. RabidFan

RabidFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My research yielded some interesting results just now. Samsung's HLP5063W was a fairly significant improvement over the year prior offerings, the HLN. Well, apparently they're releasing an updated version of that called the HLP5085W. After some digging, it turns out it comes with an updated contrast ratio - the older version was 1500:1 while the new is 2500:1, and the updated has an Generation 4 HD engine as opposed to the older having a Gen 3. It also claims to be 30% quieter, but comes WITH a stand (which I don't need). The new version w/stand looks to be approx. $600-1000 more, and I'm wondering if the updates warrant the price increase and wait.

Lastly, while the older (HLP5063W) comes WITH an HD Tuner included, the newer version requires one to be added.....which would be what, another $500? Do you knowledgeable folks deem these changes enough to warrant the cost increase? Should I wait another 1 or 2 months to see them side by side? While I understand a lot of this terminology I fear some of the nuances may be lost on me, and value the expertise on display here. Once again, thanks in advance.

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Rabid

Not sure how soon you'll get a response to this message. Bear in mind that this is a UK-based site and that the Samsung models you quote are not available at all over hear.

Try AVS forums for more indepth stuff on DLP rear-pros, as they are discussed at length over there.

9. alanpgh

alanpgh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we are on the same page here. I am looking at getting one of the newer DLP units, or maybe an LCD projection unit (but more likely the DLP).
    I will probably go with a 46" unit because I only have 7.5'-9' viewing distances.

Looked at Samsung HLP4663W (and the 50" model). Looks nice, but I think Samsung is about to come out with a new model called the HLP4674W which uses newer TI DLP Chip sets. Does anyone know when this unit will be available? Also, does the Faroudja chip set make a difference in the Samsung unit's performance?

Also, I understand that Toshiba will have the 46HM84 and 52HM84 using the new DLP chip sets. The 52 is supposed to be at dealers in July and the 46 shortly thereafter. The 46HM84 is supposed to be priced at $2999. Sounds like a good price point.

Check out the following for some useful information on DLP units:
    http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html#_Toc62794042

Please send any other web sites that have good information.

Also, do any of you have advice on LCD projection units, such as those available from Sony? They had a bulb problem that is supposedly solved.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Alan
    [email protected]
    :)

10. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Try AVS Forum for more info on DLP rear-pro's.

11. alanpgh

alanpgh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sending me to the AVSFORUM. Great information there!