50" Full-HD vs HD-ready, do you see a difference from 10ft+?

50" Full-HD vs HD-ready, do you see a difference from 10ft+

• Yes, i notice more sharpness/details even from 10ft and up

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No, from 10ft away and further i see no difference

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters

Bengbeng

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll bet many people here compared let's say the Full-HD Kuro (LX508D) with the HD-ready one (5080), or a Samsung Full-HD (50P96) with a HD-ready one (50Q97), or a Panny 50PZ70 with a 50PX70.

With Full HD material (1080i/p), do you see any difference from 10ft away and further?

this will be interesting one. first i can see several problems main one is that not every ones sight is the same. some have to wear glasses even at 10ft also second peoples perception of what is a good screen and the depth of colours they see. can cloud ones view. and offcourse the light in the room is it natural or from a bulb.. A 50 inch screen at 10ft is huge. this is not the ideal distance to be able to give a fair accessment.. also if you ave spent £3000 on a fifty you not going to say its naff.. even if it is. Fairer way would be to look at various distances away say 15 ft and 20ft and in natural and lighted.. light.. In theory a full HD would be better as it has 1080 P output where things get cloudy are on the panasonic range.. HD ready sets are not actually HD ready its just they have a HDMI input. now what about 100HZ sets ? these are better on movement. the source that you watching from must be the same. Blue Ray. or HD DVD. then a live show in HD. its not going to be at all easy to answer the question..

I'll bet many people here compared let's say the Full-HD Kuro (LX508D) with the HD-ready one (5080), or a Samsung Full-HD (50P96) with a HD-ready one (50Q97), or a Panny 50PZ70 with a 50PX70.

With Full HD material (1080i/p), do you see any difference from 10ft away and further?

Hi Bengbeng :)
At over 10 feet i can't (hand on heart) really see any difference between the XD (720P) and the LX (1080P) too far away to tell.
In my opion,10 feet is way too far to view a 50 inch screen anyway. ;)

at 10 feet i could see the difference between half hd and full hd on my 40" bravia, very noticable for me

best thing is to go out and check some screens with diff specs and see what you are happy with

What is 'half HD'? Do you mean 1080i? You are talking slightly at cross purposes here, as the thread is about screen resolution, not how full HD sets display signals. I see where you are coming from, however, but how your screen deals with SD or 1080i is down to electronics, not pixel numbers.

My current viewing distance is around 14ft and as you can see from my sig I have a 508XD (not full HD).

Firstly I compared the 508XD with a Panasonic PZ70 (1080p) from around 12ft at a local dealer. For me I much preferred the Pioneer.

Then came a test with the 508XD versus LX. Kindly the dealer put the same Blu Ray disc on each screen at the same time and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference. If I moved closer (to around 6FT) then the extra detail could be seen, but it's not loads.

** For the record my eyesight is cr@p. I do however wear contact lenses so my "corrected" vision is pretty good.

There is a £1000+ price difference between the XD and LX so for me at my viewing distance getting the XD was a no brainer. Maybe the 60" Full HD at my viewing distance would be better, but i've got better things to spend my money on!

If you have eagle eye vision and must have the latest techno gear then by all means get 1080p........to be honest I think most people are not going to be able to physically see any difference from 10ft+, I know I can't.

I would actually love some one to set up a Pepsi challenge type event where we could actually compare these scenarios!

A blind test would be fun. A few industry people could tell them apart for other reasons, but nobody can see the extra detail, corrected vision is irrelevant here of course, once you can read the optician's chart with or without correction, as appropriate, you are seeing all any human can. I'm sure it would be perfectly possible with test patterns, scaling artefacts would show up easily over 10 ft, but these, whilst they are techincally present in video, are lost in the movement and complex patterns which make up the picture.

I'm sure it would be perfectly possible with test patterns, scaling artefacts would show up easily over 10 ft, but these, whilst they are techincally present in video, are lost in the movement and complex patterns which make up the picture.

Sometimes I can see the difference when text is scrolling very slowly and vertically over the screen, but even then you need to watch very carefully to see it.

an interesting point - i have a pio 506XDE (720p), and have come to the conclusion at my viewing distance (some 14ft plus) i would NOT be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I consider my eysight to be about perfect - bottom line of eye test chart...

here's a link to much the same discussion - http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

plus a nice chart!

resolution_chart.jpg

Attachments

• resolution_chart.jpg
    resolution_chart.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,263
I would likely invite the people who do see a difference between a 50" Full-HD screen and a HD-ready one @10ft or further to tell under what circumstances this was (which screens, what source, etc.).

Me myself, i haven't voted yet, because i'm still not sure. I saw a LX508D vs a 5080XD, and even from 12 feet i could see slightly more sharpness on some parts in the image of the LX. For example small numbers or characters on a shop billboard, that kind of things.
But maybe the 5080XA's (sharpness) settings weren't 100%, i don't know. I need more investigation. This is why i can't vote yet. :)

an interesting point - i have a pio 506XDE (720p), and have come to the conclusion at my viewing distance (some 14ft plus) i would NOT be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I consider my eysight to be about perfect - bottom line of eye test chart...

here's a link to much the same discussion - http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
So your vision is 20/10, the chart you show is based on 20/20 vision. For your vision, you should be able to double the distances shown on the chart - which means you should be able to tell a difference :rolleyes:.

everyone has different eyes and different expectations best thing is to head out to a specalist retailer and try it for yourself, i probably notice more than alot of ppl because i do a fair bit of digital photo post processing so im used to looking at pixel by pixel on images.

dont take any notice of that chart thats waved around, its utter bull imo they only way it would be relevant for me is if i smeared vasline over my glasses :D

dont take any notice of that chart thats waved around, its utter bull imo
I agree completely, but it's shown as gospel almost every day when someone asks whether the difference is worth it... :rolleyes:

The chart is a reasonable guide, but not a precise tool. I reckon it's not too bad for a moving picture, as I said, if it were a test pattern it's way off, I'd expect to be able to tell them apart at 15-18 ft.

The chart is a reasonable guide, but not a precise tool. I reckon it's not too bad for a moving picture, as I said, if it were a test pattern it's way off, I'd expect to be able to tell them apart at 15-18 ft.

its its a fast panning shot on a lcd it wouldnt matter where you are or what size or rez the screen was, it would all be blurred :laugh:

joke! honest

A vast majority has 20/20 tough.
This is wrong. It is a standard reference measure, not the average. Taken as a whole, a population has, on average, better than 20/20 vision until age 60.

Hi im new to the forum and am considering one of the 2 pioneers mentioned at the moment. Obviously the shops i have been to have said there is a difference and am tempted by the LX but the extra £1000+ could go on other equipment in the future. I dont have blu-ray or HD DVD yet but will soon. Is the LX a better option for me or not? Also my sofa is only approx 6ft from the screen.

Hi im new to the forum and am considering one of the 2 pioneers mentioned at the moment. Obviously the shops i have been to have said there is a difference and am tempted by the LX but the extra £1000+ could go on other equipment in the future. I dont have blu-ray or HD DVD yet but will soon. Is the LX a better option for me or not? Also my sofa is only approx 6ft from the screen.

At 6 feet, definatley. Jesus, that's close, how about a 42 ? Saving even more for new gear.

This is wrong. It is a standard reference measure, not the average. Taken as a whole, a population has, on average, better than 20/20 vision until age 60.

In that case the Carlton Bale chart, the BBC chart and various other charts can be throwed in the trashcan bacause they are all based on 20/20 vision. If the average guy can see better than 20/20 the charts need correction (based on 20/18 or something
which is closest to the average eye sight).

But that's why i doubt your claim, they all use 20/20 for a reason.

But that's why i doubt your claim, they all use 20/20 for a reason.
http://www.mdsupport.org/library/acuity.html

In particular:

August Colenbrander said:
contrary to popular belief, 20/20 is not actually normal or average, let alone perfect, acuity. Snellen, he says, established it is a reference standard. Normal acuity in healthy adults is one or two lines better. Average acuity in a population sample does not drop to the 20/20 level until age 60 or 70. This explains the existence of the two lines smaller than 20/20: 20/15 and 20/10.

So are you guys saying that if we normally sit more than 3m/10ft away, there's no point geting a Full HD TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom