1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50" for TV and DVD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SimonHod, Nov 9, 2004.

1. SimonHod

SimonHod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

I'm sure you have had similar questions to this before. So I apologise in advance!

I have been hunting around for my ideal Home Cinema setup for sometime now. My budget is fairly sizeable (7-10k) and I'm really struggling on what to decide upon for the display. I already plan to purchase a Denon 3805 and Arcam DV79, probably with an Acoustic Energy Evo3B Speaker package. But when it comes to the display I just cant seem to make a decision. Can you kind folks help?!

I will be using the system heavily for DVD and Sky TV. My main concern is TV picture quality (as I expect the DVD output to be rock solid via HDMI). Space is not at a premium so I do not HAVE to go for Plasma. I've looked around in the 50"-55" size bracket and am just unsure. The Hitachi 55MA550 looks promising but I haven't seen one in action, as does the Pioneer 505 - DVD via HDMI was very impressive (although I've heard bad things about the Pio and TV pictures?). Is the 504 better than the 505?? I've even been considering a Sim2 RTX55H for those familiar with these things!

Any suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Simon

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw some of the SIM2 DLP screens at the Hammersmith show over the weekend and was impressed. They were of course showing hi-def material, so I've no idea what it will be like with Sky.

There is of course the Sagem Axium 50" DLP and the Optoma RD50. Bit of a bargain at 2 grand I think.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    With ample space you could go for a 50"+ RPTV (or even a 65" for 50" plasma money!), it will give you all the TV functions (text, plenty inputs, speakers etc) plus will take HDMI from your player. Something like the ThemeScene RD50/65 uses Faroudja processing which does a very good job of Sky/Cable/Freeview. Otherwise the next step to improve broadcast PQ would be to add a dedicated video processor (to either a plasma or RPTV)

I'm not the biggest fan of the 55" Hitachi/Fujitsu, but am of the 50" Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas. Panasonic gives you the high contrast and lovely black levels, the Pioneer excellent, bright colour reproduction and satisfactory black levels (just less black detail). But take away the sexy flatscreen for a rptv and you get pretty much both with the ThemeScenes HD2+ chip.

I think the processing quality is about even between the Panasonic, Pioneer and ThemeScene, although the image in terms of colour/black/brightness is very different between the three. If your not after the sexy flat panel look then I would seriously consider RPTV, get a 65" for 50" plasma money, get the Arcam AVR300 to go with that DV79, leave plenty aside for accessories (rack, lcd remote, cabling, some more DVDs) and then enjoy!!!

4. SimonHod

SimonHod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input gents. Now you've really got me thinking. Anyone know where I can demo these sets? I too saw the Sim2 at the hammersmith show. Out of everything I saw at the show it was only the Sim2 and the Pio 505 that impressed me. However I suspect these were the few that were really set up well. I did see the themescene RP but it was just plonked in the middle of an aisle!

Also would you have any suggestions for a dedicated video processor? I haven't investigated down this particular path at all up to now. How much of an improvement can you expect? (If thats possible to express on here!!!) IF its significant then Plasma may still be the way to go for me. Either way I'm definately inerested in the 65" RP experience!

Incidently, if anyone knows of a friendly, helpful A/V retailer, relatively near to Oxford please let me know. So far my attempts to get demo's of what I want to see have fallen on mildly pretentious ears!

Thanks again

Simon

5. SimonHod

SimonHod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had another couple of thoughts. How well does the themescene cope in fairly light conditions? And also how much does the lamp replacement cost?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there are loads not tooo FAR from Oxford if you fancy a drive out one afternoon.....
    For a flat panel Display I think you should demo the Panny 50PHD7 with an Iscan HD Processor (or similar) ythe Pio50MX with iscan HD or similar perhaps add the 50XHA Fujitsu with processor and then with the 65" Optoma DLP the Sim2 RTX Grandview RPTV are worth a look as is the LOEWE Acconda 55"