• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

50" for 90% gaming 10% HD Movies

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Thinking of upgrading the 42px60 for a 50" model.

90% of its use is for 360 gaming, and the other 10% is currently HD DVD but am thinking of using US iTunes account and starting to download HD TV and Movies. These will be output from my iMac to the TV. There will be no SD played on this at all.

My px60 suffers from awful retention mainly due to 5-6 hour stints on COD4. Its never actually burnt but the retention is taking longer and longer and to disappear. I know my gf's TV in the front room (PZ70) has nowhere near the retention issues that my older PX has. Whats the current state of play with regards to this? Are any of them up to 5-6 hours sessions on the same game?

I really prefer plasma technology but thinking maybe LCD might be the way to go for 90% gaming usage? (eww hate to say that:rotfl:)

Any recommendations anyone?
 
Last edited:

audiphile76

Prominent Member
Advantage of plasma is definitely its ability to show better SD and movies. Since you will be gaming mostly, if i were you, i would check the LCD forum and try get something like a 52W4500 instead.
 

-Ad-

Prominent Member
Although I am an avid plasma fan, I fell that an LCD would be better for you.

The only plasmas I have seen without IR are the pioneers, but even with their resistance to it, I think that your long stints on COD and other games over a significant period could even cause burn on these.

So if you will be using it as a serious gaming set then i would recommend going for an LCD, but avoid samsung ;)
 

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Although I am an avid plasma fan, I fell that an LCD would be better for you.

The only plasmas I have seen without IR are the pioneers, but even with their resistance to it, I think that your long stints on COD and other games over a significant period could even cause burn on these.

So if you will be using it as a serious gaming set then i would recommend going for an LCD, but avoid samsung ;)

Thinking you may be right. I have always steered well clear of LCD in the past due to motion blur, uneven backlighting, dead pixels etc etc etc. I keep on top of plasma models as I could only really see myself choosing plasma. But realistically the front room TV gets all our TV/movie viewing (plus shorter 360 sessions from girlfriend) and the backroom TV just gets 360 day in day out.

Part of me thinks I should just forget the whole upgrade thing and just keep on battering the PX60 as it performs flawlessly with an amazing picture via HDMI from the 360. But the 50" + really appeals for gaming. Its amazing how soon 42" seems 'normal' size when both your TV's are this size.

From my limited knowledge it seems people only ever recommend Sony LCD? Never been a fan of Samsung as IMO they always look cheap.
 

reaper12

Established Member
I use my plasma all day on a computer. For the first 200 hours or so there was some image retention. I used to use a burn in DVD for a few hours after heavy gaming sessions and the IR would be gone. Now I have done about 500 hours on the TV and I get very little IR and even that goes away after a few minutes when I do something else. If you are using crazy high contrast and brightness then IR might be a problem but other than that don't let IR stop you from getting another Plasma.

Oh, I use a Panasonic PZ800 and It's on most of the day as I work from home and it is my PC's monitor. As well as been used for xbox360, PS3 and PC gaming. I use word and excel and other office programs alot and when I first used the TV I would notice IR when switching to another input. I would still see the outlines of the programs that I had open and after games I would still be able to see the HUD from the game etc. Now I don't even when I use the programs for hours at a time, the same with games.

I moved from LCD to PLasma and I have owned lots of different LCD's both proper PC monitors and TV's and I can say without any doubt the plasma has been the best PC monitor I have ever had for gaming, work and movies.
 

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I had a pana PW5 and often played for 6 hours on COD4, R6 etc, and never once had a hint of screen burn. Screw the LCD, get a commerical screen. I think someone already recommended one. Get the PF10, or is it the PH10 - I can never remember. You wont be disappointed!
 

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom