Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

50" eBay plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Luc, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm skeptical at the best of times, but recently i've seen more and more plasmas on eBay at ridiculous (to me) prices. There's a few 50" Panasonic TH-50PHD3U's with Buy It Now's at a fiver short of £2k, and while i'm tempted, i thought i'd see what you lot had to say first. Bargin? Scam? 50% dead pixels? Half-inched? The sellers have good ratings, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Has anyone bought their plasma from eBay and not been ripped off?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would be very wary myself even though I am a big fan of eBay and have bought, and sold, many items over the last two years or so without fault. You have to ask yourself why are they selling them at this price – try asking the seller the same question and also ask if viewing/collection is possible.

One scam I have heard of is people selling goods at low prices that then get damaged in transit, allegedly, which you then have to either claim back for compensation ir try and get your money back from the seller.

Just remember caveat emptor.

Cheers, Lee

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have seen them as well. At the end of the day no way unless you collect and see the thing working. Too much to risk on Ebay.

That said it might be worth a gamble at half price if they will demo it for you. But I would think they are scams and will run a mile if you try to arrange a viewing.

5. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If the seller lists a location, e-mail them to say that you live close by & is there any chance you could come & view the screen. Chances are they won't even reply.

A lot of the plasmas on ebay seem to mysteriously disappear before end of auction anyway.

I use ebay loads for dvds/cds, but certainely wouldn't contemplate the purchase of something like a plasma.

Also, bear in mind that ebay is an auction site, so you don't know if something was 'cheap' or not until you see what the final highest bid was.