1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50" DLP. A list of Alternatives.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by andyxxx, Jan 23, 2005.

1. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody add any alternatives to this list that I may look at. I have 5 days to decide wether to return my rd50 and purchase a different brand.

Anything up to £3K. 50 - 55" and if not on the market imminent.

1 Toshiba 52WM48P - Ugly ears.
    2 SAMSUNG SP50L7HX Strange pedestal, ugly ears, expensive.
    3 Infocus 50md10 Not launched yet (price?)

Regards

Andy

2. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    ok, how about the samsung SP50L3HX, its exactly the same as the samsung SP46L3HX samsung u can see at currys for £2300 but is 50inches :)

p.s, the picture on the samsung site is wrong!!!!!!! its not the pedestal one

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Infocus got a bad write up for their 61' set. It is made under the thomson brand name in the uk. Then 61' set costs £6000.

The review basically said because of its slim design the viewing angle was compromised. So unless your sat right in front of the screen you wont get the full benifit. This was a problem which plagued older crt rear projection sets. The review is in Home cinema choice.

I can understand you do not want to down grade in picture size, so the Sagem D-45 is out. I quiet like the look of the samsung although the only pictures I have seen have been from a poor feed in currys. However I like the styling (i gather you dont) and Home cinema choice rated this unit very highly.

I dont know why toshiba have put those silly flaps on the side of their current model. Most people with a 40'+ set have their own surrond set up. All they have to do is make them detachable. I personally wasnt mad for the picture on the tosh after viewing it at the what hifi show. It was good, just not spectacular.

What about the 50' sagem if they have the HTCP problem sorted, I would go for one of those. I have only seen hi-def on these sets but it was impressive. The picture was far better than the tosh, but again it was hi-df.

You could try the Sim2 55' rear pro, but this isnt cheap.

I think that is all that is avialible at the moment. Shame.

4. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I agree with pretty much everything Razor said :)
    I'm still holding out for the possibility sagem will bring out a revised version of their 50incher.
    Theres a bit of a lack of funds at the moment so I'm in no rush plus I want to spend my hard earned pennies wisely :)

5. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    like i said, i think the samsung samsung SP50L3HX is the best bet out.

50inch, HDMI input with HDCP :)

im not sure what HTCP is razor??????

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about the Sagem 50 owners, its offical they are not going to make the DVI HDCP compatable saw it in a post in a sagem thread Home cinema John Archer.Sagem say u will be able to watch Hidef through component. John Archer says Sagem cannot assume that & anybody buying the Sagem 50 with the view of watching HiDef sky will be taking a gamble
    I Have a copy of the Home Cinema Choice i got from Comet
    they give it 5 stars & rate it a best buy however that was back in July & as they print these magazines a couple of months ahead that would make it May 2004 they talk of the picture being more alive with dot crawl even with noise reduction switched on they said to some degree u can see noise with a high grade progressive DVD source
    They also mention peak whites looking unnatural like a hole has been ripped out of the picture & a torch shone through it.
    SAMSUNG SP50L7HX is this the one with the HD2+ i did'nt see any speakers on the side picture should be very similar to the RD50 without R1 judder the picture it was displaying in Currys was the worst one in the store but that don't mean jacks***
    i think its gorgeous costs around £3500 could have a picture better than the RD 50 but think the money would be better spent on a HTPC i think they'll be as common as the old VHS cassette decks in 5 years.
    The Tosh sets seem to have their faults as well although a lot of people love them
    Some people like the HD3 samsung sets but most prefer the HD2+
    The one i've got my hopes on is the Sagem HD45 i won't like losing 5" but you can lose those speakers on the side & it might have picture quality as good or better?

7. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys. So this is the revised list after your kind suggestions (discounted the Sagem 45 cos too small)

1 Toshiba 52WM48P - Ugly ears.
    2 SAMSUNG SP50L7HX Strange pedestal, ugly ears, expensive.
    3 Infocus 50md10 Not launched yet (price?)
    4 Samsung SP50L3HX - Forgot about this model (Wasn't out 4 weeks ago -will certainly check it out)
    5 Sim2 55" - Way above my budget (but I bet it is the best!?)

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I have seen the Sim2 and it seemed to lack good contrast levels in the picture (it seemed more grey than black). This was at the sim2 stand at the Hifi show.

I prefered the RD65 for picture quality.

I have found a new link to try although it is a US site.

http://www.dlptvreview.com/