50-55" with good motion and blacks.

Silasgreenback

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I had a very poor experience with a Hisense H55U7BUK, that was returned in Sept 2019. I did not purchase an alternate model as I couldn't find anything that I particularly liked. Instead I returned to my 11 year old Panasonic Viera TX-P42S20B Plasma that shows it's age in terms of interface and connectivity, but really is a beautiful screen that I haven't adjusted since the day I bought it. From what I've seen of the shiny modern panels, I do still have a preference for Plasma, though I understand they are long dead and no longer an option.

Twenty months have passed and as we decided to decorate our TV room just as Covid hit, it has taken a long time waiting for shops to reopen and complete the decor. I'm back in the market for a new TV with no idea as to what represents a decent buy today.

A new TV will be used for Movies and TV shows.
The input sources will be Netflix or Amazon Prime, a standard blu-ray player for now (though 4k blu-ray is planned) and direct input from a laptop via HDMI (VLC software). I have no use for Freeview (no TV license) and there will be no gaming on this set.

I would like the TV to have the following features:

- Good picture quality for Movies, good motion control and shadow quality. The experience with the Hisense highlighted how important this is. It's by far my first consideration.

- 50 or 55 inch. The previous Hisense was a 55" and that's right on the limit of size for me. Sitting 7-8 feet from the screen. I did find the "uncanny valley / soap opera" effect quite noticeable with the 55, though whether this was due to the poor motion I am unsure.

- While I don't really have any 4K source right now. I guess the TV should be 4K and I'll upgrade the Netflix and get a new blu-ray player to suit. Frankly, I'm not that bothered on this point, but my wife will be expecting it.

-It would be nice to have reasonable sound quality as I will be using the TV speakers (at least initially). I'm not someone who has the TV blasting, so quality rather than mad volume/bass.

- Inbuilt Netflix / Prime would be useful. Every other app, service or whatever will never be used.

- The TV will be standing, not wall mounted so a unit that comes with a stable stand is a must.

- I read somewhere that some TVs have started showing adverts as part of their interface. I don't recall the manufacturer, and I'm not sure if this is widespread. But it's a deal breaker for me, I would not accept any unit that does this.

Budget: Up to £1,100.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Thing is you've got used to plasma, trust me nothing else will compare in terms of motion handling and picture quality unless you go OLED, so if you can stretch your budget a little then I would be looking at the something like the Sony Bravia KD48A9 which would tick all your boxes apart from the screen size, the 48 inch screen might actually be more suitable for stand mounting. I had the Panasonic Viera PX70 Plasma and even though I now own a Panasonic Hz2000 OLED, the motion was still better on my old plasma. Sony have a good reputation for motion handling, even better than the Panasonic and also has the Android Interface so will give you most of the smart apps.

Upvote 0
If sticking with LCD, Sony 55XH9505, currently with free sound bar at John Lewis ?

The guide will give some info on the options. This one is high tier (vs low for the Hisense)

Upvote 0
LG CX before they sell out or the C1 oled. but over it may take some time to adjust to it.

Upvote 0
RS have a decent deal on the 55 CX this weekend

Upvote 0
Sony a8 best motion all the apps should be able to get a 55 for £1100 i only paid £1500 for a 65. Motion still not as good as my old kuro

Upvote 0
As others have said, if a LED suits then the Sony 55XH9505 is hard to ignore at JL as you get the free sound bar worth nearly £400. You will easily e able to sell it for £250+ if you don't want it.

If OLED would suit then as martin39 has said the Sony A8 would be a good bet, although it is worth being aware that it is not priced as nicely at the moment as it has been in recent weeks. I just returned a Panasonic 55HZ1500 and will probably pick up the A8 to replace it.

Upvote 0
Always worth a look in the jl stores not just online. Someone in the oled price thread said today they had some returns of lg cx £850

Upvote 0
Another vouch for a OLED like the LG BX/CX, Panasonic HZ980 or Sony A8H.

Shadow detail = Panasonic
Motion = Sony
Future proofing / best smart TV = LG.

For LCD TVs, clearly the Sony XH9505 is really you're only option. The only competitor is the Samsung Q90T which does two things worse from your list, shadow detail and motion.

Avoid 2021 models at the minute as they are overpriced.

Upvote 0
As others have said, if a LED suits then the Sony 55XH9505 is hard to ignore at JL as you get the free sound bar worth nearly £400. You will easily e able to sell it for £250+ if you don't want it.

If OLED would suit then as martin39 has said the Sony A8 would be a good bet, although it is worth being aware that it is not priced as nicely at the moment as it has been in recent weeks. I just returned a Panasonic 55HZ1500 and will probably pick up the A8 to replace it.
How come you returned the panasonic?

Upvote 0
How come you returned the panasonic?
Don't get me wrong it was a brilliant TV and the picture was amazing, it is just that there were some aspects to do with motion handling that I could not quite get right. I definitely wouldn't want to put people off buying one.

I guess the thing is that there is some small weakness/drawback with all of these TVs and in the end I would rather save the £250-£300 on getting a CX or an A8 and I will be just as happy.

Upvote 0
Thats what i thought when i saw the a8 for £1500 coming from a Panasonic oled i do miss the shadow detail a bit. But the sony is better at other things

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom